New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    I've seen an awful lot of people who carve careers vastly different from what they've trained in. My mother for instance, graduated BS Math but can't even solve problems regarding surfaces of revolution particularly because she's spent almost all her life in Marketing/Sales.

I'm contemplating about this because the sole reason I chose the course I'm in right now is one of economic reasons - I wanna land a good job. It's not even my passion, and it's a miracle I'm surviving without a bit of love for what I'm studying.

Economic factors are also the reason why I didn't pursue courses I'm passionate with - particularly because careers in these fields are non-existent in the Philippines, and I really don't wanna work abroad.

So, a few questions for those who have experienced more in life:

Is your college course related to the career you've built?
    Would you advise to simply follow what your heart desires instead of pursuing something that is highly regarded by others to help land a good job?
    What starting salary should I expect?

I know this post sounds 'mukhang pera', but I am not a son of parents with successful family businesses. I have no trust fund/inheritance to speak of. I've lived a childhood highly exposed to rich people, knowing I can't have what they have. Such circumstances have inevitably drilled into my head that I have to be somehow do well in life.

2. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    It did helped somewhat, in the end IMHO college education is over rated. Street smarts and money smarts is the most useful tool...

3. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    What I do in work is related to what I studied in college. Although I should admit that I am only using less than 10% of it.

11.1K:transform:

4. Join Date
    Jul 2010
    walang kwenta college dito, it will not help you land a good job.

if you do well in college, then prepare to be enslaved kasi yan ang gusto ng fortune companies, pag high grades ka, utusan ka

5. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    in my case --- not even close.

IMO college degree will help you mature and not just specializing on the course but also have network of contacts, discipline, etc. its not all about the degree, ill bet if you just have a high school diploma, you cant even land a decent job.

* TS, go for what your passionate about and the money will follow. baka nga you can earn a lot from different industries but without self satisfaction.

just my two cents.

6. Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Do what you love and money will follow.

7. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    So does it mean that even if I study in STi and take up literature or something, I'd be on par after graduation with someone studying medicine, career/finance-wise?

Alternatively, since you guys say that your careers aren't related to your course, would it be okay to stick with my unloved course and just pursue whatever career path my heart sets itself to afterwards?

8. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    2 questions:

what course ba prefer mo but you say can't make you money?

and what course ba ayaw mo but you say can make you money?

9. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by uls View Post
    2 questions:

what course ba prefer mo but you say can't make you money?

and what course ba ayaw mo but you say can make you money?
    The course that I don't really like, yet am taking right now is Management Engineering in Ateneo. One, I don't like math. Well, Com Engg has lots of Math too, but the engineering aspect is more interesting than the business aspect of it. Two, I'm not business-minded. Three, the lack of science appalls me. I came from PSHS and I really miss the natural sciences. Which is why I also regret turning down my IntarMed slot in UP Manila, which would have led to a clear path towards doctor-hood. Come to think of it, I would've preferred to be a doctor than a businessman, maybe.

The course that I've been thinking of shifting to is Computer Engineering in UPD. Well I know it can make money, it's just that I don't see much room for growth here in the Philippines, particularly because we don't have much R&D when it comes to computers. One of my dream jobs is to make the next big processor for Intel/AMD, just like how a small team in Israel made the P6-Pentium M architecture that was fundamentally much better than the NetBurst architecture that the big guys at Intel Oregon screwed up. Of course this is wishful thinking. But I do enjoy anything that involves computers. In fact the only ME major I've enjoyed was a subject involving VBA programming in Excel.

The only lure that ME has for me is that people say it allows you to venture into a broad range of fields. Weirdly though, a lot of grads line up to be the next product manager for Unilever, Nestle and P&G. Oh and the more important lure of course is the high regard that companies supposedly give to ME grads.

10. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post
    So does it mean that even if I study in STi and take up literature or something, I'd be on par after graduation with someone studying medicine, career/finance-wise?

Alternatively, since you guys say that your careers aren't related to your course, would it be okay to stick with my unloved course and just pursue whatever career path my heart sets itself to afterwards?
    well for the first, no. because a med student would take a decade at least to see real money coming in. in most cases they see wealth at the age of 40 or if your really really good as young as 35. even after becoming doctors, they still have to get money from their parents for specialization, tools of the trade, etc. BUT they do not have an age limit. so for some they tend to go GP first to get money then specialize if they think they need it.

it depends, if your passion does not include specialize studies in BS math, medical, law, etc then yes. but in your case, i think its a specialize course but i dont know anything about eng so i really cant say.

as they say aim for the stars so if you fall, you'll end up at the moon.

maybe our resident engineers can answer your question better.
    Last edited by archie123456789; October 29th, 2010 at 01:39 AM.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Does Your College Course Actually Help Siginificantly in Starting Your Career?