New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Just got a Huawei b525s-65a router and want to use it on my car. The router requires 12V 2A power. I am a noob on this matter, does the vehicle's battery provide 12V even if the engine is off? Is 2A requirement big?

2. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    24w or 12x2a is peak power. This happens when all 20 or so users are demanding high bit-rate data from the router. This doesn't happen if there is only 1 user.

there was a website that included idle power use by routers and switches. but i think your router router probably idles to 3-5w during minimal use. can it drain your car battery? probably not.. its still a risk.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    My only concern is that the "12V" on vehicles can typically go up to 14 and some odd Volts when the engine is running. Those routers are designed to be used indoors with its own 12V regulated power supply. It may not appreciate all the voltage spikes and noise a car wiring makes.

Will I do it if I were you? Probably. But I already use my phone as a hotspot. With an app called Macrodroid, I've set it up to turn on the hotspot when it connects to the HU's Bluetooth and turns it off when I exit the vehicle.

It might be safer to use a DC-DC converter. 12V-24V IN to 12V OUT. There are also USB (5V) to 12V boost cables available online.
    Last edited by oj88; January 9th, 2020 at 07:32 PM.

4. Join Date
    Sep 2016
    I bought a USB to 9V/12V output for our router for my wife's online teaching just in case of power interruption. It's paired to our Pineng 20k mAh powerbank. Maybe you want this kind of setup too?

5. Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Ano ba ang setup ng buses with wifi? Maybe you could get some idea there.

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using Tapatalk

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I think it's much simpler to buy a pocket wifi device, around 1k lang yata yun. at least yun sa USB mo lang i-charge if na low batt.

7. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by attyallanlatras View Post
    Just got a Huawei b525s-65a router and want to use it on my car. The router requires 12V 2A power. I am a noob on this matter, does the vehicle's battery provide 12V even if the engine is off? Is 2A requirement big?
    2A is the max draw when the transceiver is at full power, in your short-range application it won't even hit 1A. The vehicle ignition position should be at ACC On to be able to power-up the socket. Go to your nearest Radioshack to buy the crown-plug to cig-light adapter. Bring the router with you because not all crown-plugs are created equal, they have innder diameter differences. Re input voltage, most soho internal power regulator can handle the 11-16V range.

8. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by yubby24 View Post
    I bought a USB to 9V/12V output for our router for my wife's online teaching just in case of power interruption. It's paired to our Pineng 20k mAh powerbank. Maybe you want this kind of setup too?
    That was also in my mind but I have not found a usb 12V 2A wire. Where did you get this? Pls provide me the link. Tia

9. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by 12vdc View Post
    2A is the max draw when the transceiver is at full power, in your short-range application it won't even hit 1A. The vehicle ignition position should be at ACC On to be able to power-up the socket. Go to your nearest Radioshack to buy the crown-plug to cig-light adapter. Bring the router with you because not all crown-plugs are created equal, they have innder diameter differences. Re input voltage, most soho internal power regulator can handle the 11-16V range.
    Where to get that in the pic sir?

10. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by attyallanlatras View Post
    Where to get that in the pic sir?
    Deeco, Alexan, Quiapo Raon electronics, online stores. I prefer the vulcanized crown-plug and glass fused cig adapter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast