New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Hi!

Got ideas to disable a car such that the engine is immobilized when parked in a carnap-notorious location?

What inconspicuous part is best removed to accomplish this?

I got a standard immobilizer but I think even that is easily defeated.

Thanks!

Joey

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    removing the center wire from your distributor would be most effective.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Thanks! Looks like I need gloves for that.

Someone PM'd me that removing the EFI fuse from the fuse box does the job as well. What's your opinion on this? Safe for the engine?

Dang the peace and order situation. Imagine.... just a few months ago, my neighbor was carjacked as he waited at the Katipunan McDo drive through. He lost his car over a double cheeseburger!

4. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    what is your ride and year model?

5. Join Date
    Oct 2004
    I have a 1994 2.0 Toyota Corona with an immobilizer
    I also drive a 2004 2.0 i-vtec Civic. With immobilizer

Some buds showed me how easy it was to immobilize the immobilizer, hack the steering lock, and cut the alarm. How depressing can that be??!

6. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by jplazo
    Thanks! Looks like I need gloves for that.

Someone PM'd me that removing the EFI fuse from the fuse box does the job as well. What's your opinion on this? Safe for the engine?

Dang the peace and order situation. Imagine.... just a few months ago, my neighbor was carjacked as he waited at the Katipunan McDo drive through. He lost his car over a double cheeseburger!
    yup its safe but you are not addressing the problem of carjacking. You must have a switch which will address carjacking and carnapping.

Do a search on this: DIY projects against carjacking. I made some recommendations on how to DIY some. The car make and model will definitely make a difference as you could tap on some features of the vehicle to improve the kill switch.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Thanks. I like the idea of the kill switch. I'll discuss that with an automotive electrician.

Someone just PMd me about a switch that cuts the brake line. How's that for having the last laugh as the thieves roar off? :D

The cars a goner though...

8. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    I have a 1994 2.0 Toyota Corona with an immobilizer
    I also drive a 2004 2.0 i-vtec Civic. With immobilizer

Some buds showed me how easy it was to immobilize the immobilizer, hack the steering lock, and cut the alarm. How depressing can that be??!
    Its easy because the location is predictable. It will take around 6 minutes to do it with a manual philips screw driver and a handy pliers. around 3 minutes flat if you are using a battery powered philips srew driver and a pliers.

You dont have to worry about your 1994 Toyota Corona as carjackers opt to carjack latest models.

As per your 2004 Civic, you have several options: (1) look for the efi fuse under the hood and cut it. extend the wires and look for a place where to place the switch. If you do not have any knowledge on electronics, you may opt to use a durable on/off toggle switch. If you have some, well you can opt to use a DPDT relay. (2) You can look for the Ignition fuse (IGN) and cut it, but you may connect this only with a relay and not with a toggle switch because of the high current which goes with it. (3) you can also cut the starter switch and do the procedure on number 1. (4) You can do everything in combination.

Lastly, you may opt to purchase a comprehensive insurance for your vehicles. A good insurance will keep you calm.

9. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Thanks. I like the idea of the kill switch. I'll discuss that with an automotive electrician.

Someone just PMd me about a switch that cuts the brake line. How's that for having the last laugh as the thieves roar off? :D

The cars a goner though...
    Huh? How can you cut something which is not electronically powered?

10. Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Beats me, must be an electric motor that manually cuts the line. I'll ask again.

Does that qualify the owner with attempted homicide?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Disabling the car