New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 7 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Apr 2005
    One thing to remember when using any GPS is that sometimes the directions may not be correct so always be sure to look at the road signs before making a turn.

OSMAND as an example sometimes doesn't see no u-turns. So make sure to read the road signs and not just follow the GPS blindly. A solution to this error of Osmand is to use the online routing(cloudmade) service it has to calculate the route. I found the online routing service to be more accurate than the offline one Osmand has. Since it only uses the data connection when calculating routes, it uses less battery power than waze which has to constantly download info from the web.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Nakakarating naman sa paroroonan kahit walang gps. The smart phone apps can do the job for gps need, or get there to the general area and immediate details makukuha mo sa pagtatanong sa kalye for exact directions. Experience is based on iphone apps solely as I dont have any on Andriods or other OSs.

3. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Ako, although may Note 2 ako na merong capable GPS function, parang gusto ko pa rin ng dedicated GPS. Pero on the other side, naiisip ko yun gastos on buying a dedicated GPS kasi kaya naman ng Note 2 yun navigation. So to answer the question, if you have the money to burn, then go ahead and buy a dedicated GPS. Pero if you don't have, then don't.

Tsaka hindi naman madalas gamitin ang GPS dito eh. Last time I used it was nung nag-Baguio kami.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by HondaWay View Post
    Sir bobzy, silipin nyo sa Google Play yung Sygic, mapapansin nyo na aside from directions naka highlight in purple yung lane where your car should be. Very useful kapag may flyover or underpass or malapit na sa express way exit. Ganito rin yung makikita nyo sa Germin dedicated GPS navigation. Makakapwesto tayo sa tamang lane ahead of time. Been useful to me on my first drive to SLEX coming from C5, pinapwesto na ako ni Sygic sa tamang lane bago dumating sa left turn going to SLEX.
    sir HondaWay thanks for the recommendation pero when i look into it sa google play, free 7 day trial then after that ang mahal ng "pro" version nya! any recommendation para ma avail ito for free?

5. Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by remzam View Post
    you'll be surprised with how many drivers who are residing within metro manila who only knows the major roads and not the side roads. also if you encounter a very traffic area, you can re-route right away without fear of getting lost kahit eskinita pa daanan mo.

and you'll also realize the value of a gps (stand alone or phone built-in) once you go to unfamiliar places/ territories like when in out of town. my line of job requires me to do that and gps is a really invaluable equipment.
    Very well said sir :2thumbsup:

6. Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Based on my experience, here's how i rate them:

Dedicated GPS (garmin, tomtom, magellan) - Better

This depends if you have the latest maps in them, or if they are the highest-end model.
    Sure they do have dedicated antenna for gps but that doesn't mean they are the end all be all of all direction-seeking mortals. One cool feature may not be found in another. Examples are spoken street names, cue/sound to turn left/right on the next corner, speed-sensing camera sensors, ability to relay sound to car speaker,etc. I've tried at least three GPS here in CA. All of them has the latest maps. One is OK, but consumes lots of battery. The other one forces me to turn left into a flyover. The last one doesn't even mention the street name, which could be confusing.

Nav system built-in cars - Good

I only rated this as good because i've yet to see a built-in gps in cars that has a nice interface, lots of options (waypoints, route selection, etc.) and even though has updated maps - chooses by defualt the best route. I've learned this the hard way when we went home from the nearest city to my place and it led me into an unknown route i've never drove. It still pointed us home but we're not so happy travelling into unknown locations with no gas pumps and restrooms to rest. And it's farther by 50kms total distance by the way. And I don't think its only me, coz my friend has a new CRV but has a dedicated handheld GPS too. We just couldn't trust this even if our lives depends on it.

GPS in smartphone - Best

For me this is the best solution (i've found). You don't need to shell out $150-$200 just to purchase a dedicated one that, sooner or later, you'll regret buying because of the shortcoming its giving you, or you may just can't simply justify the cost of the thing.

Specifically, i use google maps in iP5. Not does it only updates itself, but features (i need) are there when you need it. Just sync your gmail account and it can save you the addresses you chose. It has home and work address which makes it sweeter. Street names are spoken and i have yet became lost following its directions. It's not so hard on the battery, and doesn't eat alot of data either. And it connects via Bluetooth to have the sound output on your car speakers.

Caveats are it doesn't have night mode, nor it does dictate your speed like a true gps device. However, it functions like what you need - to give you directions from point A to point B - and being the best at that.

P.S. Don't use Apple's own map - it sucks!
    Last edited by greatauror28; April 18th, 2013 at 02:16 AM. Reason: typo

7. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    I use Mapfactor Navigator. Free ap siya on android. It has turn by turn voice intructions. Pwede mo ring i-store yung mga places na pupuntahan mo for easy navigation. Tried and tested it going to Antipolo church at ayos siya kahit small roads na dadaanan naituro niya kung saan liliko pabalik ng Manila. Nagamit ko na rin siya sa Baguio. I use it together with google maps. Ang problema lang sa smartphone gps minsan hindi makasagap ng satellite or hindi masyado accurate lalo na kung ma-puno yung lugar or bumabagyo. other than that ok naman kailangan lang wag masyado magrely sa navigation at pag-aralan din muna yung pupuntahan thru google maps bago sumugod para mawala man yung gps connection makakarating ka pa rin kahit papaano.

8. Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Papago has a deadspot somewhere in NLEX Pampanga. Confirmed ito kasi 2 times ko na naexperience. Other than that super satisfied naman ako sa Papago installed in iPhone 4s (purchased accidentally hahahaha).

On battery life, mabilis talaga makaubos. Buti na lang may USB dock yung HU at pwede din i-play ng HU yung iPod ng phone so ok lang hehehe.

9. Join Date
    Mar 2010
    OsmAnd Apps gamit ko na GPS , meron din itong voice instruction , accurate siya at FREE pa, pwede ito sa kahit anong Android Phones or Tablet, basta supported siya ng A-gps o gps, Medyo mabusisi nga lang pagiinstall. Para sa akin mas ok pa ang Android phone kesa sa mismong GPS unit, "bakit kamo? , may Phone ka na , may GPS ka pa".

10. Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by greatauror28 View Post
    Based on my experience, here's how i rate them:

Dedicated GPS (garmin, tomtom, magellan) - Better

This depends if you have the latest maps in them, or if they are the highest-end model.
    Sure they do have dedicated antenna for gps but that doesn't mean they are the end all be all of all direction-seeking mortals. One cool feature may not be found in another. Examples are spoken street names, cue/sound to turn left/right on the next corner, speed-sensing camera sensors, ability to relay sound to car speaker,etc. I've tried at least three GPS here in CA. All of them has the latest maps. One is OK, but consumes lots of battery. The other one forces me to turn left into a flyover. The last one doesn't even mention the street name, which could be confusing.

Nav system built-in cars - Good

I only rated this as good because i've yet to see a built-in gps in cars that has a nice interface, lots of options (waypoints, route selection, etc.) and even though has updated maps - chooses by defualt the best route. I've learned this the hard way when we went home from the nearest city to my place and it led me into an unknown route i've never drove. It still pointed us home but we're not so happy travelling into unknown locations with no gas pumps and restrooms to rest. And it's farther by 50kms total distance by the way. And I don't think its only me, coz my friend has a new CRV but has a dedicated handheld GPS too. We just couldn't trust this even if our lives depends on it.

GPS in smartphone - Best

For me this is the best solution (i've found). You don't need to shell out $150-$200 just to purchase a dedicated one that, sooner or later, you'll regret buying because of the shortcoming its giving you, or you may just can't simply justify the cost of the thing.

Specifically, i use google maps in iP5. Not does it only updates itself, but features (i need) are there when you need it. Just sync your gmail account and it can save you the addresses you chose. It has home and work address which makes it sweeter. Street names are spoken and i have yet became lost following its directions. It's not so hard on the battery, and doesn't eat alot of data either. And it connects via Bluetooth to have the sound output on your car speakers.

Caveats are it doesn't have night mode, nor it does dictate your speed like a true gps device. However, it functions like what you need - to give you directions from point A to point B - and being the best at that.

P.S. Don't use Apple's own map - it sucks!
    Thank you so much for this review :thumbup:

Page 7 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast