New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2012
    LED bulbs for automotive use are getting better. Right now the brightest LED chips are the Philips MZ, Philips ZES, Cree XHP50 and Cree XHP70. The latest LED bulbs copy the size and location of the filament of the halogen bulb. The purpose is to mimic the light pattern of the halogen bulb and to prevent glare. Though some models still use fans for cooling, some models are doing away with these noisy fans and use heatsinks and copper ribbons for removing heat instead.

These charts show what happens when you install LED in stock headlights with reflector. LED bulbs have different responses depending on the headlight housing of the vehicle. In some cases, the LED is brighter than stock halogen; while in some cases, the stock halogen is brighter than LED. In some cases, the LED is brighter than 35W HID. BUT remember that in the tests, the 35W HIDs were used with reflector and not projector. In some cases, the beam pattern is good and acceptable; while in some cases, they are bad and scattered.

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

2. Join Date
    Aug 2012

3. Join Date
    Aug 2012

4. Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Lux readings also do not validate the light output of the headlight. It only measures hotspot intensity.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    basing observations on light beams projected against a wall is only for checking the cut off and glare pattern. the best way to measure a headlight's performance is to use it on a newly laid asphalt road with no markings on a rainy night. halogen will still outperform those leds and hids where it matters most.

6. Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by yebo View Post
    basing observations on light beams projected against a wall is only for checking the cut off and glare pattern. the best way to measure a headlight's performance is to use it on a newly laid asphalt road with no markings on a rainy night. halogen will still outperform those leds and hids where it matters most.
    Aside from reduced reflected light and CRI, I do not see why. I've not seen a road lighting measurement favoring halogen when compared to a properly designed LED or HID headlamp.

7. Join Date
    Apr 2006
    i tried a philips ultinon h4 led copy for around a month last december (this one Testing the cn360 H4 LED headlight bulb (Philips X-treme Ultinon copy) - HiDplanet : The Official Automotive Lighting Forum following the tips on adjusting the angle, etc to make it better) and went back to using my trusty osram 80/85 all weather bulbs.

the led bulbs were good. but it seems i was able to see better with my all-weather halogens (probably because of the slightly yellowish color).

8. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by wewoy_romero View Post
    i tried a philips ultinon h4 led copy for around a month last december (this one Testing the cn360 H4 LED headlight bulb (Philips X-treme Ultinon copy) - HiDplanet : The Official Automotive Lighting Forum following the tips on adjusting the angle, etc to make it better) and went back to using my trusty osram 80/85 all weather bulbs.

the led bulbs were good. but it seems i was able to see better with my all-weather halogens (probably because of the slightly yellowish color).
    it is the yellow light that enables us to see thru the fog and the rain.
    hids and leds, simply intensify the light reflected by the raindrops and fog particles, back to our eyes, blind us from what is hiding beyond them.

9. Join Date
    Aug 2012
    If worried about fog, rain and asphalt roads, HID bulbs are also available in lower color temperature such as 3000K.

Also, you can turn on your fog lights.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by stagea View Post
    Aside from reduced reflected light and CRI, I do not see why. I've not seen a road lighting measurement favoring halogen when compared to a properly designed LED or HID headlamp.
    i did said "on a rainy night", where the only measurement that matters is the one made by the guy behind the steering wheel.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast