New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Oct 2013
    1. So i got myself a blackbox dvr/dashcam. Now i want to rid of the cigarette lighter plug and hide the wire in the headliner DIY style. Where do i tap to get a live 12v connection from the stock wires of the car?

2. Then i got some light accessories which also needs 12v of power. I want to install it in a way that when i open a door, it would light up/function. Like how the stock dome lights behave. Where do i?

3. Now if i need another 12v source for another accessory, can i go ahead and tap it in addition to #1? If no, where else can i connect to in the stock car wires?

I got the fuselage and switch covered.

P.S. Will #18 automotive wire do? Or should it be #16?

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    for 1 and 3, you just need a fuse tap. choose the fuse that you don't use and with the highest rating (like the one going to a seat heater), remove that fuse, insert the fuse tap, plug in the original fuse in case you still want to use that feature, and you're good to go.

817753459_1_644x461.jpg

meron nyan sa olx, p200 each.

Mini / Micro low profile mini / Standard blade fuse tap holder adapter | *******
    Last edited by yebo; September 14th, 2016 at 01:22 PM.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    for #2, tap it to the door switch. find the wire that goes to the switch and tap it after the switch.

4. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Sorry, but what's your car?

Most vehicles nowadays have "exact" current/voltage running in most wires. So the method of "tapping" for 12 vdc, which was easy as pie way back is not so advisable today.

Notice how the wires are getting smaller, and the strands thinner?

My take, jury rig a fused circuit from the battery itself, add a switch (and a relay), then connect it whatever gizmo you want powered.

Leave your vehicle electrics alone.