New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    guys..many of my friends is asking about HID lights.what are the adv and disadv of it.thanks

2. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Advantage:
    1.) Clarity
    2.) Supposedly allows the driver to "see more" at night as it mimics daylight
    3.) Last way longer than ordinary incandescent bulbs.
    4.) Coolness factor

Disadvantage:
    1.) Causes a lot of glare for on-coming traffic, especially when the grounds are wet as the light reflects from the wet ground. Could cause an accident.
    2.) As the color of the light emitted is white, light doesn't cut much through the...atmosphere on days that are foggy or during heavy rain compared to normal incandescent bulbs that has a yellowish-colored light.
    3.) Expensive

AFAIK, HIDs are mostly used for low-beams. However, I see a lot of idiotic, HID-totting car owners out there that have their expensive HID lams on full burn i.e. high beam. This causes a lot of discomfort drivers coming from the opposite direction as it causes glare that hurts the driver's eyes, thus temporarily bliding the oncoming driver. On dark roads where street lighting is poor or non-existent, drivers blinded by oncoming traffic may get involved in an accident.

Nothing wrong with installing a HID. Your car, your money to burn. If you do install a HID, one small request: don't be like those idiots that I'm talking about - be a responsible driver/owner.

3. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    i'm talking about the conversion kits for non projector types. first of all it not allowed on streets in major countries kaya dito tinatapon. meron ako from US naka lagay:

Not to use in America and Strictly for off-road use only.

Advantages: one is its very beneficial to the driver because of it's better head beam coverage.

Disadvantages: pricier than ordinary halogen bulbs and high risk of getting into trouble (if not fitted /aimed right)

4. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by XTO View Post
    i'm talking about the conversion kits for non projector types. first of all it not allowed on streets in major countries kaya dito tinatapon. meron ako from US naka lagay:

Not to use in America and Strictly for off-road use only.

Advantages: one is its very beneficial to the driver because of it's better head beam coverage.

Disadvantages: pricier than ordinary halogen bulbs and high risk of getting into trouble (if not fitted /aimed right)
    He he...like all goods na ipinagbabawal or na-phase out na sa major countries.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    anything above 4300k will be eaten by the road. most HID will still be glare on halogen headlights even on low beam. specialy older cars and even new ones like the Jazz, Rio and picanto. also the 97 civics. they get flashed by other motorist, they response with a flash indicating they are still on low beam. Even a seperate high/low beam headlights cars might glare... even some projectors still needs re-aiming.

the foglamps are even worst, they are designed to scatter the lights.

I have seen reflector headlights with minimal glares on city lights, I guess they are responsible enough... but it could still be little bit blinding on dark provincial roads. our eyes adjust, it accepts more light on dark environments. but our eyes are not fast enough to adjust to the bright light from an incoming HID light. some motorist might not flash a bit-blinding HID cars even there is a bit discomfort on their part, out of respect or avoiding confrontations on the road...

but I would still suggest retrofit it with a projector or use a projector fit headlights. woudn't it be cool to look like these?

6. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    I really hope this law (proper hid installations) can be implemented here in phils. ang hirap mag drive pag nasalubong mo or nasundan ka ng jerk na naka HID.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    let me add some more:

Advantage:

a. clearer than halogen bulbs
    b. eats less electricity

Disadvantage

a. Could be useless in stormy or rainy weather.
    b. Repair/replacement of the ballast is expensive (maintenance wise)
    c. daming magagalit sa iyo na kasalubong mo.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    so it means to say mas magandang wag na lang gumamit ng HID..bka mapaaway pa ko e..

9. Join Date
    Sep 2008
    i encounter every night these moronic drivers/owners lalo na yung mga naka SUV...kung may bazooka lang ako baka binazooka ko na e...di nila alam ang discomfort na nararamdaman ng kasalubong nila e...saka alam ko bawal na ito e...

10. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    kakainis nga yang mga ganyan.. may nakasabay ako na xtrail sa may osmeña pakanan nang quirino.. grabe na nga yung trapik.. bumper to bumper na.. nasa likod ko sya, hindi man lang patayin yung HID nya.. eh silaw na silaw na ako sa rear view mirror ko.. ginawa ko pinauna ko sya.. tapos nung nasa harapan ko na.. tsaka ako nag bright.. ayun di sya naman ang nasilaw.. mag ti tint kasi nang super black.. tapos mag HID..

Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast
Advantage and Disadvantage of HID Lights