New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Hi guys!

Nabangga yung honda jazz ko. Akala ko total wreck na talaga pero sabi ng insurance, hindi pa daw. ipaparepair daw nila pero yung ibang parts surplus. My question is what does "Surplus" exactly mean? Also, eto yung mga parts na surplus lang gagamitin nila, please check kung okay lang ba talaga na surplus lang or kelangan ba brand new ang iask ko from them:

Panel Set RH RR Outer
    Radiator
    Motor, Cooling Fan
    Headlight Assy. R.
    Headlight Assy. L.
    Tail light right
    Motor cooling fan
    Hood Comp Eng
    Tailgate Comp Re
    Face Fr Bumper
    Condenser Comp.

Meron din silang nilagay sa breakdown na "Reserve". I don't know what "reserve" means". Pero eto yung parts na "reserve" ang nakalagay:

RESERVE
    Silencer Comp. Exhaust
    Fan Comp. Cooling
    Guard R RR Brake Splash
    Snsr Assy Rh RR
    Gutter Comp Rh RR
    Spoiler Frt Bumper Air
    Cowl Top Assy Frt
    Plate Silencer baffle
    Lock tailgate
    Garnish Assy RR License
    Lining Assy. Roof
    Lining Assy RR Panel

The rest original ang ipapalit nila and i just have to pay participation fee. For more details on what happened to my car, see my post here:
    http://tsikot.com/forums/car-insuran...repair-100531/

I hope you guys can give me an advice and some suggestions on how to handle this case. Thank you!

2. Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Surplus - used, or sometimes may also refer to replacement parts
    Reserve - items that may or may not necessarily be damaged, and can only be determined upon dismantling

Surplus or original parts? Now that would be up to you. If you do not want to pay for the extra cost, then you can settle for surplus. However, it has to be noted that surplus/replacement parts possibly have a shorter usage lifespan than original parts. For me, it would be ok for surplus body panels but not for any mechanical, electrical or aircon parts. The 30% you may have saved may not be worth it in the long run.

Total loss or possible repair? Hard to tell from the pics but again, if I were you, i would try to negotiate for a total loss instead. You will surely take a hit as far as the settled amount is concerned, but you might be able to save yourself some headaches in the future.

My opinion only. Good luck!

3. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    gagawin nilang moving chop-chop car mo.

kakahuyin nila yung mga total wreck nila na sasakyan para i-assemble ang kotse mo.

okay lang naman as long as original at sariwa pa. pero for me, nego ko na lang na total loss.

4. Join Date
    Sep 2009
    i don't mind paying for the extra cost. my priority is my safety. in fact, if i had the choice, ayoko na sana iparepair kasi kabado na rin ako for my safety but it's the insurance company who gets to choose, not me. would you know which of these parts are mechanical, electrical or aircon parts? wala akong alam sa car parts kasi e.

any tips on how to negotiate for total loss? with the breakdown they sent me kasi, they'd have to pay lang 160k. as compared to the insured value of the car which is P420k kaya parang malabo. though sa original na estimate ng honda, umabot sila ng P500k. so malaking bawas na surplus yung gagamitin nila sa ibang parts.

Quote Originally Posted by derf8666 View Post
    Surplus - used, or sometimes may also refer to replacement parts
    Reserve - items that may or may not necessarily be damaged, and can only be determined upon dismantling

Surplus or original parts? Now that would be up to you. If you do not want to pay for the extra cost, then you can settle for surplus. However, it has to be noted that surplus/replacement parts possibly have a shorter usage lifespan than original parts. For me, it would be ok for surplus body panels but not for any mechanical, electrical or aircon parts. The 30% you may have saved may not be worth it in the long run.

Total loss or possible repair? Hard to tell from the pics but again, if I were you, i would try to negotiate for a total loss instead. You will surely take a hit as far as the settled amount is concerned, but you might be able to save yourself some headaches in the future.

My opinion only. Good luck!

5. Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by sirkosero View Post

kakahuyin nila yung mga total wreck nila na sasakyan para i-assemble ang kotse mo.

okay lang naman as long as original at sariwa pa. pero for me, nego ko na lang na total loss.

that sounds so scary. it's just that hindi naman ako makaka supervise sa kanila so hindi ko malalaman kung original at sariwa pa yung surplus parts na ipapalit nila. same question, any tips on how to negotiate for total loss? with the breakdown they sent me kasi, they'd have to pay lang 160k. as compared to the insured value of the car which is P420k kaya parang malabo. though sa original na estimate ng honda, umabot sila ng P500k. so malaking bawas na surplus yung gagamitin nila sa ibang parts.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote Originally Posted by sirkosero View Post

that sounds so scary. it's just that hindi naman ako makaka supervise sa kanila so hindi ko malalaman kung original at sariwa pa yung surplus parts na ipapalit nila. same question, any tips on how to negotiate for total loss? with the breakdown they sent me kasi, they'd have to pay lang 160k. as compared to the insured value of the car which is P420k kaya parang malabo. though sa original na estimate ng honda, umabot sila ng P500k. so malaking bawas na surplus yung gagamitin nila sa ibang parts.

6. Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by zirkel View Post
    i don't mind paying for the extra cost. my priority is my safety. in fact, if i had the choice, ayoko na sana iparepair kasi kabado na rin ako for my safety but it's the insurance company who gets to choose, not me. would you know which of these parts are mechanical, electrical or aircon parts? wala akong alam sa car parts kasi e.

any tips on how to negotiate for total loss? with the breakdown they sent me kasi, they'd have to pay lang 160k. as compared to the insured value of the car which is P420k kaya parang malabo. though sa original na estimate ng honda, umabot sila ng P500k. so malaking bawas na surplus yung gagamitin nila sa ibang parts.
    Insurance companies can suggest, but you have the option to negotiate. At 500k estimated loss, you should go negotiate for a total loss. Assuming discounts to labor and parts at an even 20%, it will still come close to 400k. And thats not counting yet reserved parts for replacement. Anytime a loss is estimated to be at least 75% of the total value, you can declare it a constructive total loss. If i may ask, where is your agent? Is he assisting you? What is the insurance company?