New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Long time no posting here.. been completely buried with work the past several months.

Around 6 weeks ago (July 15, 2012), our car, a 2010 Mazda 2, crashed in the mountain roads near Tanay, Rizal. Lost control and skidded, eventually coming to rest on its side by a roadside ditch. It was brought back to QC via flatbed truck due to its non-drivable state c/o our insurance BPI-MS.

One day post-crash, we informed our insurance BPI-MS regarding the incident and subsequently filed an insurance claim, to which they responded by scheduling an inspection of the damaged vehicle at home the following day.

Later during the same week the car was brought to Mazda Quezon Avenue as per their request as they needed to do their own assessment of the damage to our vehicle. (MQA was incidentally a dealership accredited by BPI MS for repair.) Their estimate amounted to 476,000 which included their labor cost and replacement for damaged parts that were not seen by the initial inspector.

The following week (week 2), BPI-MS received the estimate made by MQA and scheduled an inspection... releasing an LOA for 240,000. The dealership refused to start ordering parts and initiating repairs due to the said discrepancy (which was due to un-assessed parts that needed to be replaced and as per the insurance’s claim, due to labor overpricing by the dealership).

At this point the body and repair in MQA began to cite that it was quite difficult contacting the claims assistant that was handling our case. (a certain “Rolly”)

The subsequent week, metro manila was lashed by the monsoon. Due to the fact that our car lost its rear windshield, water entered the cabin.

The following week (week 4), BPI-MS released an updated LOA amounting to 314,000 (Aug 17) (still with 160,000 discrepancy). Still no repairs could be done, since the dealership refuses to repair until the estimates match. We were able to talk to the body and repair service advisor and the claims assistant separately. The claims assistant was trying to haggle the price of the repair down, however, the person in the repair claimed that the claims assistant could hardly be contacted (this was true, the said claims assistant was most of the time “wala” o “busy”).

The same week, a customer service for claims in BPI-MS informed us that our case was being transferred to a different claims assistant, who then requested for dismantling prior to another re-inspection and re-evaluation.

Last week (week 5), we were again informed that our case was being given back to the original claims assistant, and that a reinspection was scheduled Thursday (Aug 23). On Friday (Aug 24), we contacted MQA to see if the reinspection was done, and it was not done. We called up BPI-MS the same day and they informed us that the reinspection was rescheduled to Saturday, Aug 25.

No inspection was done.

Mazda QA informed us this morning (Aug 28), that an inspection was scheduled for this day and that they would update us on further developments.

Around 4 PM we contacted BPI-MS claims, who then informed us that the unit had been inspected and that they were waiting for the report made by the inspector.

4:30 PM Today we were informed by the body and paint from MQA that the inspector from BPI-MS erroneously went to Ford Balintawak and that the said inspector would return on August 29.

We're kinda losing our patience here. We understand that these claims take some time, and that workload for insurance companies are really ramped up due to the floods but it seems that this is going nowhere.

We've been following up both the insurance and the dealership involved almost daily for the past three weeks and still there's no progress.

Would just like to have some advice on what we could do.

2. Join Date
    Aug 2011
    File a case of specific performance with damages. I could refer a good lawyer sir. Just pm me po

3. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    yeah, we've been adviced to seek legal action... which we might take if this still isn't resolved soon.

4. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Sir, i also have a pending claim at Malayan insurance after an accident involving my kia carens last July 14, 2012. It was towed to Kia baguio who quoted 220k pesos for parts and labor for the total overhaul of the engine. The estimate was finished after a week (because they had to pull down the engine for inspection). I submitted all the required documents on July 23, 2012.

I waited for 20 days. Within those 20 days, i patiently made follow ups through sms and paid them visits. I grew impatient and decided to write the customer service department on Aug 13. I explained to them my predicament and the agony of waiting and i just grew tired of making follow ups. I appealed for some reconsideration.

On Aug 14, 2012, the insurance finally acted on my email and they sent a representative to fetch me and we both went to Kia baguio for the signing of the contract (no LOA was given) to start the repairs.

So the casa started ordering parts and i still have to wait for the crankshaft and oil pan to arrive from Korea. I was promised that it will take two to three weeks for these parts to arive since these will be sent thru airfreight. So, i am still in a waiting mode for now. The cheque will be paid to me and i am still waiting for their call on when i can possibly pick it up.

My advise is to first exhaust all possible measures before resorting to legal action. I'm sure this legal proceeding will just add up to your worries and concerns. You can write a letter of appeal to Bpi ms cust service. I think it won't hurt, based on my own experience. Just try to explain everything. I am sure insurance companies, just like other big businesses,are sensitive to their customers' sentiments especially if these complaints actually reach the highest level of management.

I am not saying though that this is the best course of action. It might just help.

At least in my case, half of the battle was already won. In your case, I hope the repairs could start immediately because the parts will take longer to arrive.

By the way, my car was inspected twice. Overall up to this point, its a relief to finally get that approval.
    Last edited by Hanren; August 28th, 2012 at 09:13 PM.

5. Join Date
    Apr 2010
    First of all, you should not expect that the insurance will match Mazda's estimate. Their estimate is always bloated by 20%-50% plus they put parts as replacement even when it is not necessary, as to be expected since they make money out of it. That is why there is a disclaimer printed on the estimate: "Not to be used in court cases" or something to that effect.

Second, it is not recommended to sue at this point as it is only week 5 or 6. Yes it is delayed, but it is still well within the allowable time frame. Plus the insurance company is still working on a solution as evidenced by the regular inspection. So you will just lose more time and money if you take legal action. Although based on your report, it would indeed seem that the insurance company has been somewhat remiss in its duties.

And third, where is your agent? He should be there to assist you and make the necessary follow ups in your behalf. Thats what they are paid for to do.

I hope everything will be ok by tomorrow after their inspection. Be vigilant on both the insurance companies and the casa. Make sure that every part that needs to be replaced are replaced. Good luck!

6. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    As I said, we're no taking legal action yet, because we're aware that its just going to add to the stress and costs. Although if this really drags on, it's going to be a consideration. There have been suggestions, though, of sending a letter through a lawyer, though. For now I've emailed BPI MS and hoping for the best.

It was just the last bit of incompetence that was hugely disappointing.

Yes, we're aware that it goes both ways as the casa is trying to make a profit while the insurance is trying to minimize costs, hence the massive discrepancy in costs. We just find that this particular claims assistant from BPI MS to be less than helpful.

Hmmm. We got the insurance directly from bpi... Is there someone who should be following up for us?

7. Join Date
    Apr 2010
    If you have an agent, yes they should follow up on your behalf. However, since you got it direct, then you have to do it yourself. Thats why it is recommended that you get a licensed agent to serve you. Avoid getting directly from banks, casa, or even the insurance companies. It may sound like Im biased since im an agent. But for the same price, why not let someone else do the dirty stuff for you? Someone to pick up and deliver your policy and remit your payment. And in times of claim, someone who can assist you in filing your documents, follow up the status of your claim, etc. Also, someone who can do your shopping (joke lang on this one hehe)..

8. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Your best option right now is to file a complain at the insurance commission located at UN ave. The insurance commision will then call the attention of BPI/MS regarding your concern. Normally it will take 2 weeks to set a meeting between you and the representive of the said insurance company in front of the commissioner to disgust the pending case. From the first instance they knew that your pending claim is now known by the insurance commission, they normally swiftly facilitate your concerns. Just bring all documents you have wih you for the evaluation of the said agency.

9. Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by derf8666 View Post
    If you have an agent, yes they should follow up on your behalf. However, since you got it direct, then you have to do it yourself. Thats why it is recommended that you get a licensed agent to serve you. Avoid getting directly from banks, casa, or even the insurance companies. It may sound like Im biased since im an agent. But for the same price, why not let someone else do the dirty stuff for you? Someone to pick up and deliver your policy and remit your payment. And in times of claim, someone who can assist you in filing your documents, follow up the status of your claim, etc. Also, someone who can do your shopping (joke lang on this one hehe)..
    sir TS sorry to crash your thread, off topic lang..na curious ako, what do you mean by "for the same price"? so if you hire an agent and get insurance directly sa insurance company same lang bayad? was thinking mas mahal pag kukuha ng agent kc babayaran mo xa pero idk, how does that work really? ty in advance

10. Join Date
    Apr 2010
    http://tsikot.com/forums/car-insuran...1/index17.html

Please proceed to this thread instead to discuss car insurance.. Sorry scharnhorst. Hope everything went well and for it to proceed smoothly from hereon.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast