New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    if there's anything good coming out of this, is that people are taking a long hard look at alternative energy -- technology that's been there for decades, but for some reason has not been harnessed. and it's about damn time

2. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    the gov't really needs to support alternative fuel programs. the oil crisis is getting too bad and to impractical. we definitely have to find and develop new energy sources, like ethanol and biodiesel. in the meantime, consumers definitely need to learn to conserve fuel.

3. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Oil prices won't go lower because

1. the world's oil supply continues to go lower, and there's no solution to replenish it yet.
    2. oil firms refuse to earn less profit.
    3. the government keeps on exercising graft and corruption.

There will certainly come a time that no oil-powered vehicle will get to run anymore, unless alternate fuels are introduced. Alternate officials are also very much helpful.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Sabi ko na nga ba eh. Kahit tubig ihalo sa oil, hindi bababa ang prices :evillaugh

If the price per gallon goes up to $5.00/gal, then it would only take 5-years to recoup from the extra money spent to a $22,000 car versus the $17,000 conventional car.

Eto xls sheet na ginawa ko for my Environmental Science thesis. D pede xls upload kaya screen shot na lang.

As of Oct. 28, 2005
    Last updated: Oct. 28, 2005
    **2006 Civic conventional comes with DX, LX and EX model trim.
    **Combined mpg is the median between the highway and city mpg
    **TMV = True Market Value
    **Prices courtesy of edmunds.com

Ways to recoup the money faster:
    1. Drive more than 30,000 miles a year. (warranty is over after 60,000. In a way, you get 2 years warranty as oppose to 5-year warranty. Goodluck on the battery replacement cost of $2,000) Even if you drive 30,000 a year, it would still take you 4.5years to recoup the price difference. I dont know about you, but I dont want to wait 4yrs or so to see my savings. Id rather invest the $5,000 to ING account (3.5%).
    2. Hybrid's price becomes the same price as the conventional car pricing. (which will not likely to happen. conventional car is typically $5,000 less than the price of Hybrids)
    3. price per gallon goes up to $10.00/gal (god forbid!)
    4. as price of oil goes up, so should our salary. (yeah right!)
    5. win the lottery ( my chances on this is better than #4, hahaha)

5. Join Date
    Jul 2003
    narinig ko kahapon sa tv... tataas ng P3 ang unleaded by NOV 1? huwaaa P40 na?? mga taxi driver nga gusto na tumigil.

6. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    there is someone who is campaining that we should not buy from the big 3. the result is less profit and they may lower their prices so that we would buy from them.

now i gas up at seaoil with ethanol. cant confirm yet but after 2 full tanks my consumption from 8 kms per liter went up to 10. will report after 2 more full tanks. looks like ethanol is the ticket.

7. Join Date
    Jul 2003
    im already at 9-10km/L.. ayaw ko lang sa iba magpagas, palagi velocity and blaze lang, i dont even go to caltex. pero with the e-vat daw na + P3 ang prices.. naku!! ang taas naman sobra

ang P500 ko dati umaabot 20litres ngayon 13.4L... in the next few days 12litres nalang.. whattt??? d na ako maka 1/4 tank sa P500

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonub
    there is someone who is campaining that we should not buy from the big 3. the result is less profit and they may lower their prices so that we would buy from them.

now i gas up at seaoil with ethanol. cant confirm yet but after 2 full tanks my consumption from 8 kms per liter went up to 10. will report after 2 more full tanks. looks like ethanol is the ticket.
    In 1997, gas stations in California started mixing ethanol. Not only it is less harmful to the environment, but it's supposed to be more efficient. However, the mixing of ethanol has not prevented the price of gasoline from going up.

Again, haluan mo man ng tubig ang gasolina, the price would be the same. Some consumers are enjoying their biodiesel, its just a matter of time 'til the cooking oil prices goes up :bwahaha:

Honda USA started to advertise their NGV Civic (Natural Gas) which can be re-charged using home natural gas connection. A month after the advertisement, natural gas company in California has announced a 50% increase in natural gas prices. In the east coast, a 70% increase is expected. Even so, Civic NGV is the same price as the Hybrids.

I dont believe on the FWDed email to boycott the biggest oil company. Sooner or later, you would still need to pump gas...even more gas since you tried not to pump gas for several days. And who are we kidding, the no-name brand gas station gets their gas from the same refinery that big companies get it from. To add, we, consumers badly needed a gasoline more than the big oil company needs their money.

Why Gas Wont Get Cheaper? Because we are living in the capitalists', greedy world.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    sa modern life ay we have to accept na parang pagkain narin yan,at kasama sa buhay,kay tumaas ng tumaas eh kailangan natin-kabalikat sa lahat ng sandali,hindi na pwedeng mawala sa araw-araw nating gawain.saan kaman pumunta,ano man ang ginagawa mo at kahit pa anong trabaho mo-naandyan at kasama mo ang "GAS"hindi ka pwedeng gumalaw ng wala yan,kaya nga nabantog itong middle east eh dahil sa gas.sa panahon ngayon eh malabo kanang maka-basa,maka-panood sa tv.at maka-rinig ng may bumaba ,lahat tumataas! ang bumababa lang ay ang "p*#ty" ng babae....

10. Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by oldblue
    i think it's the other way around. with the advent of fuel injection systems vs carburators, energy saving electronic controllers vs. mechanical motors (such as airconditioners etc), lcd displays vs. tube-type crts, energy is greatly conserved now compared to decades ago. we are now at an age wherein we are inventing ways maximize the tiniest drop of oil or the smallest surge of energy.

perhaps, the main reason talaga is demand. there are more people now than 3 decades ago. power companies & oil companies know that we will be consuming less & less in the years to come. just check your bills, we consume the same amount of electricity/gas, but we ended up paying more.

it's purely business. they will earn less profit if we consume less and they have to service more consumers pa.

what they dont understand is, we humans have this knack for survival. we will invent other means to produce energy to fight off this monopoly. light alone provides a hi-source of energy such as lasers & cosmic rays.

just think of this, PLDT is monopolizing the broadband business but they need not to power the cable lines with load amperes/currents and to spend oil energy in maintaining it. the secret of their success, Fibre Optics.
    No, that's not what I meant. There is a thing called energy return on energy input. It's basically the same as ROI, but instead of profit in money, it represents your energy "profit". Cheap oil is oil that has been extracted with relatively little energy used. What I mean is that the energy ROI is slowly going down, and there will come a time that extracting oil to burn it inside a car's engine will simply be not worth it.

While the processes have become more efficient, the stuff is now simply becoming harder to extract. Besides, the internal combustion engine in itself is actually very inefficient even with all those electronics. The ICE has become much more efficient, but it's still inefficient. Hybrids and computers aren't the answer, they're the stopgap measure. Neither is biodiesel and ethanol, they're simply the economic alternatives (contrary to popular belief it's NOT cheaper than foreign oil, think about how much land you need and more importantly what that land originally was for!).
    Last edited by Alpha_One; October 31st, 2005 at 06:21 PM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Why Gas Won't Get Cheaper