New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    thank you GH,

so for the sake of discussion, if a "device" claims that it saves fuel and yet their data or test done does not lead towards proving the fuel savings it can be classified as scam kahit na 30-40% increase ang HP ng sasakyan when the device was added and used?

(sidenote: maybe it should be classified as a power increasing device)

tia for the reply.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by wildthing View Post
    thank you GH,

so for the sake of discussion, if a "device" claims that it saves fuel and yet their data or test done does not lead towards proving the fuel savings it can be classified as scam kahit na 30-40% increase ang HP ng sasakyan when the device was added and used?

(sidenote: maybe it should be classified as a power increasing device)

tia for the reply.
    Depends on how the device's functions/benefits are described. Usually they use "up to" ... like gains your car up to 30% better fuel mileage. Anyway, performance mods can increase fuel economy if certain conditions are met but usually performance means increased FC.

Example, a piggy back ECU or digital AFC can increase your car's performance and also improve your FC figures because it can be programmed to increase peak HP output while improving economy under a certain RPM level.

Another example is the open element cone filter or racing filter. It can improve FC figures but most often it's used to increase HP output.

So we can use "scams" to describe more on devices which do little to deliver their primary claims or benefits.

In that light, if a device's primary claim is performance while having a secondary claim of fuel saving... well, it really depends if it can deliver it's primary claim. And often it also depends on the "setup" of the car as well. Like a turbocharger can be used to increase fuel economy and/or performance, it simply depends how the vehicle is designed.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    If that is the case then probably they have placed a wrong title to this article:

(please forgive my ignorance if my interpretation is wrong)

Because by reading the title of the article, I would think that the said device will make me save on fuel - which in my conclusion will be saving me some money which in return will "payback" my investment on the unit.

Unfortunately, how can it save fuel (as claimed in the article's title), when the dyno does not explicitly show any fuel savings?

Instead, the dyno test showed great power (HP) gains. So the car is now more efficient in burning the fuel now... but then again there was really no mention that it would equate to a longer distance traveled per unit of fuel used.

If I were the writer or editor of that article, the best title for it should have been "INCREASE POWER, USE WATER" or something like that.

So which one is wrong - news article's title or product positioning claims?

Can we classify a device that improves power gains but does not show fuel use reduction/savings as a "Scam Fuel saving device" too?
    PS. I am not against the said product (specially the owner which is also a tsikoteer), infact if I have the money I surely would want one on my dmax...

but for now, what I am looking for is a device that will improve my fuel usage - more distance traveled per unit fuel used.

I also hope that some test can be done on it to correct my ideas/perception (or prove me wrong) on the FUEL SAVING thing.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2007
    if there is increase in power, you dont have to press your gas pedal too much to make the car roll on its wheel, instead of pressing it fully(gas pedal), you can just press at 3/4 or even 1/2.

remember a slight de-pressing of the gas pedal could even save fuel on unmodified cars

now if the car increases in power that alone could mean the car is more efficient than before

efficiency can also be equated to savings

5. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    It's only a fuel saver in the sense that you're pressing on the accelerator less and for less time to overtake. If you drive in "tipid" mode (rpms always low and engine "off-boost"), then it won't activate at all.

There are also some savings in having a cleaner engine, but these are small, percentage-wise, unless the engine gets really dirty.

Personally, I don't expect much savings from my alcohol kit... I just got it for the power and the engine-cleaning properties, which to me, as the owner of an old-school "mausok" Crosswind, are the most important aspects of the kit... especially since a catalytic converter for diesels from Nodalos costs just as much or even more, depending on the size.

For the D-Max, you might be better served by utilizing some fuel-saving strategies posted elsewhere... otherwise, the only way to make it run more economically at low rpms or in traffic is to have the engine reprogrammed via a piggyback controller. Still, hard to find enough gas savings from one of those to make it worth the purchase, though... but extra power is always nice...

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

6. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    With the progressive kit for the alcohol injection you can start out your injection low like 2psi of boost, Most vehicles there are already boosting at 1100 rpms so if your making more power at that same boost level you do not need to accelerate further.

If it takes 15% Throttle to travel at X amount of kph on a road, then you activate the water injection and it now only takes 10% of throttle to travel the same speed your saving fuel. The kit does not use anything from your vehicle. You can do this with just water alone, alcohol will give you more power because it will allow you to burn all your diesel so your not wasting fuel. Remember diesels waste around 15% to 20% of there fuel. I.E the black smoke and much higher emissions. It's pretty evident how much more efficient the motor is after the system is installed and you do a emissions test.

We don't claim huge fuel savings but 15% is to be expected with a 20% gain in overall hp and torque. The more power you make without adding extra fuel from your vehicle the more kpl you will get.

We sell to the VW TDI crowd for this very reason they by the systems like hotcakes because some are now turning over 55mpg vs 47mpg in stock form. The pre turbo nozzle really improves the efficiency of the vehicles in the Philippines because your turbos are simply under powered. The lower engine operating temps also helps out as well as the removal of carbon/soot buildup and the fact it stays removed for the life of the system.

But most people just like it for the the extra power, Everything else is just a bonus.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    ...We sell to the VW TDI crowd for this very reason they by the systems like hotcakes because some are now turning over 55mpg vs 47mpg in stock form...
    is this fuel savings documented or more of a testimonial from the users?

it would be nice it was documented or scientifically tested like the dyno test...

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by wildthing View Post
    is this fuel savings documented or more of a testimonial from the users?

it would be nice it was documented or scientifically tested like the dyno test...
    Just want to point out that the main purpose of the Devil's Own water/alcohol injection kit is to increase the horsepower of the engine. All other benefits including some potential fuel savings, cleaner emissions, etc are by-products of the modication's main goal which is more engine horsepower.

9. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Has anyone seen this device?

http://hhydro.bravehost.com/

Anyway, sir dvldoc........ do you already have the digital gauges for your kit?
    As soon as you have em I'll purchase the best diesel stage kit you have. I think I'll purchase these to add to the performance of my diesel suv.

devilsown kit
    unichip
    bigger intercooler
    air intake kit
    headers and downpipe upgrade

Is this a good project?

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by SaberRider View Post
    Has anyone seen this device?

http://hhydro.bravehost.com/
    The device... nope but the devices similar to it, yes. I have seen the prototype device made by "ehnriko" though. It's basically an electrolysis device to generate hydrogen & oxygen from water. The website also mentions "ehnriko" who is a member of tsikot.com. He is an avid supporter of these types of devices.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Scam Fuel saving devices old and new