New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2007
    *jut, so where do you gas up, and how will you know if a certain gas station has "clean fuel"?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by StockEngine View Post
    Our govt is not too keen on standards. The denr queen should be held accountable...

Good effort bro. Turbo diesel is 58... hmmm

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tsikot Forums mobile app
    DOE is responsible for fuels, not DENR.

DOE requirement for diesel is only 50 cetane, so everyone's compliant. Also, quite impossible that Turbo Diesel is 58, because like I said, it comes from the same tank as DieselMax.

Sent from my SM-N9208 using Tapatalk

3. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by JJB View Post
    *jut, so where do you gas up, and how will you know if a certain gas station has "clean fuel"?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Most if not all company-owned stations in Manila have clean (i.e. not adulterated fuel). In the provinces, I generally have an idea which stations dump (get from other sources), so I just avoid those. I also don't fill up with generics, because even if they're supplied by Petron or Shell, they have poor operational standards so they might not even be checking for water intrusion in their UGTs.

I fill up where it's cheap (Fairview, EDSA Boni, Mariveles, etc).

4. Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post
    Most if not all company-owned stations in Manila have clean (i.e. not adulterated fuel). In the provinces, I generally have an idea which stations dump (get from other sources), so I just avoid those. I also don't fill up with generics, because even if they're supplied by Petron or Shell, they have poor operational standards so they might not even be checking for water intrusion in their UGTs.

I fill up where it's cheap (Fairview, EDSA Boni, Mariveles, etc).

Thanks for that. So basically avoid the small players and noo name stations. And i guess mga flood-prone stations too

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by JJB View Post
    Thanks for that. So basically avoid the small players and noo name stations. And i guess mga flood-prone stations too

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Yes that's a generally good rule of thumb. Although to be fair, even smaller players like Total, Seaoil, and Unioil have proper operational standards in place. It's the generics that have a gung-ho approach to business.

6. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    How can you say that Shell's cetane is lower, when they get from Petron or Total anyway so it's the
    same base fuel for all of them.

Who exactly did you call?

Sent from my SM-N9208 using
    Tapatalk
    I owned an accent crdi which require min. 51cetane. I searched their contact number through Internet browser. These are their replies. For Shell I am expecting to have the highest cetane, but their answer is only 50 for both fuel save and v power diesel. So I never gas up from Shell for my accent. For Unioil, their fuel seems to be clear and clean and less foamy, I called up and email but no reply. It would be nice if govt requires them to display their cetane number or those gas companies voluntarily display their cetane number, so that we know what we are buying. For Shell , I will be glad if someone can call up again and verify. Thanks

7. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by wiper View Post
    I owned an accent crdi which require min. 51cetane. I searched their contact number through Internet browser. These are their replies. For Shell I am expecting to have the highest cetane, but their answer is only 50 for both fuel save and v power diesel. So I never gas up from Shell for my accent. For Unioil, their fuel seems to be clear and clean and less foamy, I called up and email but no reply. It would be nice if govt requires them to display their cetane number or those gas companies voluntarily display their cetane number, so that we know what we are buying. For Shell , I will be glad if someone can call up again and verify. Thanks
    I don't need to call their hotlines because I'm from the petroleum industry. And like I said, pare-pareho lang yan.

Shell gets 80% of their Metro Manila volume from Total's Manila Terminal. The remaining 20% is split between Shell's Tabangao refinery in Batangas and PTT's depot in Clark.

Part of Total's fuel is imported from Singapore, part from Petron's Limay refinery.

Shell only claims 50 cetane because that's the minimum required by the DOE. But I do random audits of the COQs (Certificates of Quality) of each batch of fuel loaded from the depots' tanks, and most of the time the cetane range is 51-53, sometimes going as high as 55.

Oh, and my girlfriend's dad has been gassing up exclusively with Shell for the past 4 years with his Accent. No problems whatsoever.

Last edited by jut703; February 19th, 2017 at 08:55 PM.

8. Join Date
    Apr 2012
    I don't need to call their hotlines because I'm from the petroleum industry. And like I said, pare-pareho lang yan.

Shell gets 80% of their Metro Manila volume from Total's Manila Terminal. The remaining 20% is split between Shell's Tabangao refinery in Batangas and PTT's depot in Clark.

Part of Total's fuel is imported from Singapore, part from Petron's Limay refinery.

Shell only claims 50 cetane because that's the minimum required by the DOE. But I do random audits of the COQs (Certificates of Quality) of each batch of fuel loaded from the depots' tanks, and most of the time the cetane range is 51-53, sometimes going as high as 55.

Oh, and my girlfriend's dad has been gassing up exclusively with Shell for the past 4 years with his Accent. No problems whatsoever.

useful information...thanks bro jut

9. Join Date
    Feb 2003
    *Jut703 So if that's the case that only 20% of Manila Supply is supplied by Tabangao Refinery...Where does the bulk of Crude products goes? Shell has a newly built Mindanao Depot, and I believe it is an import finish product from Bukom Refinery...

10. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggs View Post
    *Jut703 So if that's the case that only 20% of Manila Supply is supplied by Tabangao Refinery...Where does the bulk of Crude products goes? Shell has a newly built Mindanao Depot, and I believe it is an import finish product from Bukom Refinery...
    Shell has many other depots all over the country. In Luzon, aside from Tabangao, Shell also has Pasacao and Poro.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Philippines Diesel Fuel's Cetane Numbers