New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Yay, first post ko ito!

I recently had a chance to view two second hand cars of the same model, both 2005. Parehas pang XT* ang plaka. One had 32k km on the odomoter, the other 19k lang. However, if I were to choose between the two I'd go with the 32k km one. Why? Parang ang dating niya is 'maalagang 32k' judging from the interior or exterior condition, as opposed to the so-so 19k.

Is it a rule to always pick the one with the lower mileage?

Tenks!

2. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    check mo rin kung totoo yung mileage nung 19k. 2005 model pa pala tapos 19k lang, kahina-hinala. Yung car namin na July 2006 binili, wala pang 1yr, currently 18k na, may mga kapalitan pa yun.

Pero kung ako, sa condition nung car ako titingin, mileage is just a number - a number that can be cheated that is.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by dontheconqueror View Post
    Yay, first post ko ito!

I recently had a chance to view two second hand cars of the same model, both 2005. Parehas pang XT* ang plaka. One had 32k km on the odomoter, the other 19k lang. However, if I were to choose between the two I'd go with the 32k km one. Why? Parang ang dating niya is 'maalagang 32k' judging from the interior or exterior condition, as opposed to the so-so 19k.

Is it a rule to always pick the one with the lower mileage?

Tenks!
    Kailangan check mo ang actual condition at madaling madaya ang odo reading, at maaaring tama yung reading kasi parating sira pala kaya mababa ang reading at hindi magamit at gusto ng ibenta ng mayari.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Check the tires, rubber pads sa pedals. I know for a fact that even digital odometers can be reversed I know someone who does it.

5. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    In general, mileage just indicates the amount of use the car has gotten, false or not. BUT the condition is more important. Check service records if any. Check maintenance consistencies. Check for prior accidents (anything can happen within xx,xxx km or miles). And lastly, look for common wear items that may indicate a true high mileage vehicle. Brake pedal will seem more worn, steering wheel top half may be more spongy or worn. Handbrake may be really worn. Those things are tell-tale signs.

Finally, here's my final say on this. As long as the car is solid, mechanically sound (here's where your research pays off), and has been taken care of and proven using service record receipts, etc... then mileage doesn't matter. Heck, we sold our wagon that had 372,000 miles on it for nearly twice the price we paid for it a year ago. Of course it helped that I added and improved on some things, but nevertheless, that just shows that mileage doesn't really deter a lot of people.

One last thing, if it's highway miles then all the better. Pero kung grandma-style driving or mostly city, baka nalaspag yan. The worst driving conditions are usually stop and go traffic, just like in common Manila roads. If a lot of highway miles have been done on most of those indicated miles/km, then even better. Engines love to be driven at operating temp where the oil is hot and can do its job of protecting the engine from wear and tear.

Also always ask why the seller is selling the car, and see if his story matches up. Sometimes if they don't minsan may tinatago about the car like hidden problems not disclosed.

Know the term, "Buyer beware" ... Goodluck!

6. Join Date
    Nov 2004
    19k for a 2005 model is just right. kasi ang average nya is a little more than 9k km per year which is realistic if the owner uses it in the city only. kami nga we jut bought a 2005 jazz with 15k mileage which is even lower and i think it is just right kung city driving lang talaga. i used to average around 10k a year since bahay (pasig) to office (makati) lang talaga gamit ko and some gimik pag weekends.

7. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Last sunday I saw this white corolla (99 model) at a car exchange place in Pasig, ok sana yung car pero when I saw the mileage (24,000km) nagduda ako parang too good to be true so I just walked away.

8. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Bigyan natin ng benefit of the doubt si 19k. Pwede naman talaga iyon kung ang opisina ng tao ay nasa 12kms lang at bahay opisina lang talaga ang routa nya. Ang tanong dyan, lagi ba nyang napapa PMS ang sasakyan nya? Iyon ang dapat mong alamin.

9. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    I know for a fact that even digital odometers can be reversed I know someone who does it
    Wow, I didn't think you can do this. Buyer beware nga!

Thanks for all the tips...balik ako sa research mode. Konti pa sa history, but more on the condition of the parts mentioned

10. Join Date
    Oct 2003
    mileages isnt as important as the actual conditon of the car.

I'd rather choose higher mileage that was well-maintained rather than low mileage that had poor maintenance.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Is lower mileage always better?