New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Originally posted by dx8976
    does this mean they'll be posting cetane ratings (or whatever measurement they use) on diesel pumps to differentiate those that have been upgraded?
    Sana nga i-post din nila cetane ratings. The current cetane ratings of most diesel fuels is around 55. It's way above the minimum 45 rating that most diesels require.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    the higher the cetane rating the better for your engine. this would mean better combustion that would translate to better acceleration.

lower sulfur content doesn't necessarily mean that it won't be good to your engine but lesser emissions and oil companies will compensate for the low sulfur by adding additives.

Doc Diesel

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    nasabi ba kung anong sulfur level? kung 0.05% max, lumang standard na yan. sa U.S., Europe and Japan, they're going for 0.005% na yata.
    Cetane rating is not related to sulfur content. saka from what I read, 45 CN (cetane rating) is already ok for diesel engines. going above 50 CN does not give any additional advantage in terms of engine performance.

decreasing the sulfur content is more an environmental benefit. it lessens the smog forming tendency of diesel fuel, para bumaba yung SO2 (sulfur dioxide emissions). actually, masama pa nga sa diesel engine kasi mababawasan yung lubricating effect nya. sulfur kasi ang nagbibigay ng lubricating effect sa diesel fuel. anyways, sigurado namang maglalagay sila ng additives para magkaron pa rin ng lubricating property. The best additive to give lubricating property is biodiesel (cocodiesel).

ang makikinabang ng husto sa lower sulfur content, yung mga hi-tech diesel engines like that of the Trooper at yung TDI (turbo direct inject) ng volkswagen (kung meron man nyan dito). mas maselan kasi sa sulfur contamination ang mga yan. they need cleaner burning fuel. yan ang sabi sa kin ng isa pang German na nakausap ko.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    salamat sa info rsnald!

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Nice info rsnald.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I guess I was wrong about the Nov. 1 issue. I just read an Inquirer ad today that low sulfur diesel (0.05%)starting today is already offered by Unioil, Seaoil, Cuty Oil, Jetti and Eastern Petroleum. Only the Big 3 are left and some others. ;D

7. Join Date
    Sep 2002
    roydok: are you saying that the cetane rating here in the phils is at 55? just wondering where you got that info and where i could find out more about that.

also someone mentioned that most of the "small players" like unioil actually supply diesel to the big 3?

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    dx8976,

I emailed Shell, Caltex and Petron sometime ago asking for the Cetane rating of their diesel fuel. Shell replied with a rating of 55 and Petron with a rating of 55+. Walang reply so far from Caltex. I got the value I mentioned earlier from the data they provided me.
    Last edited by roydok; August 21st, 2003 at 12:49 AM.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    pwede na kaya yang diesel fuel for the mitsu pajero gen3's 4M41?
    Signature

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Originally posted by roydok
    I guess I was wrong about the Nov. 1 issue. I just read an Inquirer ad today that low sulfur diesel (0.05%)starting today is already offered by Unioil, Seaoil, Cuty Oil, Jetti and Eastern Petroleum. Only the Big 3 are left and some others. ;D

seaoil na pala ako refill............... hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Low Sulfur Diesel To Be Available By Nov. 1