New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2002
    roydok: thanks, i tried calling their offices before, but no one could give me an answer.

2. Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Fuel Property Diesel Biodiesel CME
    Fuel Standard ASTM D975 ASTM PS121
    Fuel Composition C10-C21 C6-C18 FAME C6-C18FAME
    Lower Heating Value, Btu/gal 131,295 117,093 -
    Kin. Viscosity, * 40oC 1.3-4.1 1.9-6.0 2.87
    Oxygen, wt % 0 11 11
    Sulfur, wt % 0.5 max. 0.0-0.0024 0.03
    Boiling Point, oC 188-343 182-338
    Flash Point, oC 60-80 100-170 108
    Pour Point, oC -35 to –15 -15 to 10 - 11
    Cetane Number 40-55 48-70 65-72
    BOCLE Scuff, grams 3,600 7,000 -
    HFRR, microns 685 314 -
    Sulfated Ash, % mass nil

GUYS,

What I gave you is the specification of ESTROL Biodiesel. Please remember that COCONUT is the best source for ester. Flying V will also blend their biodiesel, we don't know what is the exact amount they will put. That will be the big question. I believe it is better if we know and we have the control on the amount, just like what we do with Estrol Biodiesel.

3. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by roydok
    dx8976,

I emailed Shell, Caltex and Petron sometime ago asking for the Cetane rating of their diesel fuel. Shell replied with a rating of 55 and Petron with a rating of 55+. Walang reply so far from Caltex. I got the value I mentioned earlier from the data they provided me.
    sorry to revive this thread but it's a bit confusing. caltex answered my cetane rating e-mail inquiry with 52 while shell replied with 50. petron hasn't replied yet.

4. Join Date
    Jun 2004
    What's the sulfur content of our diesels now?

5. Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by be989 View Post
    What's the sulfur content of our diesels now?
    It is still at Euro Level II * max. 500ppm this is still the current Clean Air act directives.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by XTO View Post
    sorry to revive this thread but it's a bit confusing. caltex answered my cetane rating e-mail inquiry with 52 while shell replied with 50. petron hasn't replied yet.
    Changes are bound to happen in 3 years. The data I posted in 2003 where all answered by email by the respective oil companies that I posted. I"m sure if you email them again by know the spec rating will be different. :hi:

7. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    I hope that the ULSD bugs will be fixed before they are introduced here in the PI.

ULSD is harder to produce, its price could get higher than premium gasoline. One will have to think hard then if it will be wiser to keep a petrol powered vehicle.

Because of the inherent characteristics of ULSD (more water loving, poor natural lubricity, leaky, poor thermal stability, etc.) its quality standard which depend so much in its additive contents will be harder to maintain. Along the line from manufacturing, storage, and transport bad things could happen and the end user is left with a substandard ULSD in the fueling stations.

Take note that regulations do not allow additives to be mixed in the refinery, the fuel has to be distributed raw and reports of failure to add them at the blending points had been reported abroad where ISO standards is observed more religiously.

Somebody (owner of imported petrol car) told us that he takes his gas and additive raw from the depot and mixes them personally to be assured of its quality.

Assumption is, substandard Euro IV or Euro V ULSD will be more harmful to our engines than a substandard Euro II LSD.

8. Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by youngrider View Post
    I hope that the ULSD bugs will be fixed before they are introduced here in the PI.

Assumption is, substandard Euro IV or Euro V ULSD will be more harmful to our engines than a substandard Euro II LSD.
    It seems really have the basis. If you will take a good reading of the problems encountered by those people who have access to the ULSD, it's pointing to that conclusion. I think the Rails, injectors and HPpumps can tolerate the EuroII specs of sulfur...it's the contaminants such as asphaltenes, SRB's and most specially WATER that are really harmful to the injectors and HP pumps. The only drawback of having a Euro II sulfur specs diesel is the ineffectiveness of the diesel particulate Filter..studies shows that the embedded catalyst doesnt perform well if there is a high sulfur content in the fuel.
    Most people cries that we have a dirty fuel and mostly equates it to high sulfur content..but in fact the most harmful ones are those mentioned contaminants. Well YES, having those contaminants really qualifies that our diesel is dirty/adulterated. Infact in other countries vehicle diesel owners take some extra effort in cleaning their diesel fuel before feeding it to their engines. They put extra guard prefilters equipped with water separator and 5microns filter. Plus they still add some fuel additives to capture those water content of the diesel...So in the end sometimes it cost more really to have a diesel fed engines... all for the love of the diesel torque.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Low Sulfur Diesel To Be Available By Nov. 1