New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2013
    On 8/8/2010, chocokorn asked, ‘Tutuo ba ang nuvitron’?

More than 4 years later, we are presenting the nuvitron, which was ‘fondly’called nuvi-nuvi (I love this name). ‘Any device without a dyno test is BS’. The dyno test is nothing compared to a drive cycle test. Our test vehicle was an 18yo Toyota FX which could hardly cope-up with the tremendous stress that it had been subjected. No old engine should undergo the tremendous load that a test vehicle is subjected to. I consider the drive cycle test an engine torture test. One thing I learned about the test; the engine should be 5yo or whereabouts, e.g., an Isuzu ’06 Crosswind’ diesel.

A drive cycle test is the only test recognized by governments all over the world as proof that a particular car/fuel saving device has the emissions and fuel consumption that the maker claims. The three standards are US EPA, European and Japanese drive cycles.

The drive cycle route is an urban route with its acceleration/deceleration, idle condition and then the accelerating/decelerating, idle, etc. It’s like traversing EDSA, only much difficult. That is why the 18yo FX could only muster a 4.8% savings.

However, on the constant speed test, the vehicle showed an almost unbelievable result. If the car is cruising at 40kph, the savings is 24%, at 60kph – 68% savings and at 80kph – 90%! Average savings could be 30-40% or more. These shows that if installed on a genset, fuel savings could be substantial.

The Toyota FX can now be called a super fx due to it’s super economy.The concerns of a motorist is fuel economy, power increase and emissions, in that order.

The EPA has tested 104 fuel-saving devices for the last 20 years and found 7 that had slightly improved fuel economy (6% max). EPA drive cycle test mode: FTP (for emissions, HFET (for fuel economy).

nuvisys.blogspot.com
    (Please direct all technical queries to: The Director, UP-VRTL., College of Engineering, Dilliman, QC.)
    (Due to space limitations and different type files which could not be uploaded on this site, we have posted the documents on our blog: nuvisys.blogspot.com If you want to receive the docs by email: perlito.cabauatan*gmail.com Thank you.

2. Join Date
    Jun 2010

3. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    If you think that dyno test is NOTHING compared to a drive cycle test, why don't you just do the dyno testing as well. It should pass in flying colors in the dyno test wherein an X amount of fuel should yield Y amount of HP before and after. The only reason I can see why you don't wanna do the dyno test is that your product will just fail with flying colors.

4. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    "No Approved Therapeutic Claims"

5. Join Date
    Jul 2013
    i'm sorry, that's not what i meant. ok, take 2. a dyno test cant be compared with a drive cycle test because a dc test is too taxing for an old engine. in fact, i requested to test the devices on any jeep plying around UP but the director refused saying that the jeep may not be able to withstand the stress that an old engine will undergo.

It is our intention to test the device at Speedlab in the future and then again an emission test at VRTL so that the series of testing will be complete; economy test at vrtl, dyno test at speedlab and emission test at vrtl. I've read in a thread that niky mentioned a P5k/hr dyno test at speedlab. Maybe, the dyno test will be on a izusu crosswind.

btw, testing will not be done on a euro 4 engine esp a obd2 compliant engine. the upstream and downstream 02 sensors will just signal the ecu to dump more fuel via the injectors. of course, this conditions will be 'cured' by efi enhancers for gasoline engines and map enhancers for diesel engines. Medyo madugo ang activiting ito. Gagastos ka sa fuel savers + sa mga enhancers. Hindi ko alam kung available ang mga ito dito. You best bet for tuning ecu controlled/obd2 compliant engines? Engine tuning with chips.

Anyway, we installed the devices on a toyota innova diesel and the owner said that he is getting 14k/l on the highway. The bad part is that he does not know the baseline.
    Last edited by pyramid00; December 17th, 2014 at 01:55 PM. Reason: spelling

6. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    14 km/l on the highway?

I typically get between 12 - 16 on the highway when I drive the company Innova (and, mind you, I've never hypermiled it... I believe 20 is entirely possible). 14 is neither terrible nor extraordinary.

-

Also, 90% savings at 80 km/h on the Tamaraw? So... was it doing 1 km/l beforehand and 10 km/l after, or was it doing 10 km/l beforehand and 100 km/l after? Just curious.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

7. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Nice one, Niky but we're just wasting time with this thread.

8. Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Sir niky, since you are one of the peers on this site together with lowslowbenz, devildoc, gh, etc, i'll try to answer the question. For other highly technical queries, it should be addressed to the director or engr luis yu. its just too bad that i cant post the docs on this thread, the constant speed result show that the baseline is 9k/l * 80km/h and with the device is 17k/l. Ano ang magagawa ko kung iyon ang sinabi ng test equipment. VRTL was financed by DOE - 50M, PNOC - 50M, DOST - 50M and UP contributed the rest in 2008. (Of course, the average will be much less than 90%. A savings of 20-30% or more could be realized. A drive cycle test result is equivalent to dozens or hundreds of testimonials; a hundred testimonials could be BS for others.

The P5K/hr sa Speedlab; baka hindi tanggapin ng Speedlab yon dahil the device needs to be 'conditioned' for 200km or more after installation to take effect. In our case, we traveled nearly 200km to Pampanga via sctex.

The innova got 14k/l after installation. Before daw is less than 12k/l. Ayaw namang ipadisconnect. Palagay ko mali ang mqa data niya dahil may obligation pa bayaran sa amin with 60 day warranty. Style B ang palusot.

9. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    If it's too good to be true....
    But I am curious... Why does it have to be a 5 year old engine?
    Last edited by dr. d; December 17th, 2014 at 05:34 PM.

10. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by chua_riwap View Post
    "No Approved Therapeutic Claims"
    If problems persist, consult a mechanic.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
ITO ANG NUVITRON! Drive cycle test results