New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    read this while browsing about LPG, pls lock kung meron na.

http://www.philstar.com/archives.php...708132&type=2&

Half price argument for LPG cars
    CTALK By Cito Beltran
    Wednesday, July 9, 2008

After many months of resistance and denial, I finally gave in. Quite frankly it was one of the most technically difficult decisions to make since it required a change of attitude as well as “lifestyle”. But for half the price I’ll go with cheap rather than expensively easy.

It has probably been two years since my churchmate Gerome Gutierrez broached the idea of using liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) in my car. The idea itself was not foreign since I already knew that many Japanese cars had been running on LPG even during the 1970s. In fact last I heard almost all taxis are operating on alternative fuels such as LPG.

I don’t now if it had anything to do with my age but I obviously displayed as much resistance to LPG conversion as I did to becoming computer savvy, emails and blogs. I guess the only time we shift to alternatives is when we don’t really have a choice or if we’re dying of envy.

Of course we inevitably open up if our competency, skill set and job security are at stake. I have grudgingly embraced the IT world because of Google and Skype but the jump from being a “petrol Head” to alternative fuels was as difficult as pulling out my four wisdom teeth along with my fangs!

First of all, you have to sift through all the bad press as well as the myths about LPG. Second you have to consider the “zone of the unknown” since very few motoring experts have actually written about the real score on using LPG for your car.

Then there is the cost factor to consider where the price to convert petrol to LPG adaptable seems to be determined more on bragging rights of one company over the other (i.e. they are the best, we are the first, we are made in Europe, or we have installed the highest number of LPG units etc). Finally there is the availability, serviceability, and long-term effect.

Sooner or later if you want to know if GOD, religion or LPG is good for you, the only way you will know is if you try it out! Unlike Europe or America we don’t have the luxury of associations, groups or media companies that are dedicated to being guinea pigs for products and consumers. Unfortunately the very few who try don’t have a professionally or culturally accepted set of standards that might be what we call “common”.

So don’t take anybody’s word for it. Certainly not mine, because decisions that impact your lifestyle and driving convenience will strictly be your concern, not ours.

If you happen to be married to a lady who keeps tabs on the gasoline expenses or if your family regularly drives out of town on a weekly basis, then she will most likely decide to immediately convert your cars to LPG.

I eventually brought my 1990 six-cylinder crown to Manila Auto Gas much like Abraham giving up Isaac as a sacrificial offering. Before doing so I had mentally prepared myself for all sorts of glitches and adjustments. This is the reality of conversion, but with experienced guys all goes well.

The conversion (which ranges from a negotiable 24,000 for carbureted cars to 35,000 for EFI engines) usually takes about three to four days. But I let a whole week pass before facing my crown like a guilt ridden Abraham. The “Doughnut” LPG tank fits perfectly where my spare tire used to be. So the first sacrifice is a little space and some added weight. The tank is much thicker and of course heavier than the gasoline tank.

I then learned from Tony Moran also of Manila Auto Gas how to operate on two fuel systems. You flick a selector switch between gasoline and LPG. You set the car on gasoline, warm it up and once you’re hitting 2000/rpm you then switch over to LPG. Like a guy switching between beer and vodka, your car will “cough” once or twice which actually indicates the fuel switch.

Some drivers have commented that cars on LPG don’t have the zip or the hill climb power. After a few days I discovered that the problem had to do with settings or what is commonly called as jettings and rpm. Most consumers are after savings so LPG installers restrict or set the car at “minimum consumption” which in turn restricts the fuel to power potential.

Another common problem is when the car is set with the air conditioner turned off. Once you put on the air-con the car stalls or crawls. I like fixing what aint broke and after which we got better and acceptable performance.

“Hard starting” is a common complaint by cab drivers. But if you study the system you quickly learn that they don’t switch the engine back to “gasoline” a minute before shutting down the engine. This results in drying out the carb of gasoline. You have to start with gasoline and finish with gasoline.

If you drive much older cars, remember that today’s fuels both high-octane gasoline and LPG burn hotter and are void of lead. So many engines suffer because they don’t have enhanced internal metal components like the late 90s models. Just make sure you have additives that protect the “valves”. The system comes with the conversion kit and you just top off the bottle.

The first time I talked about LPG with Gerome, I think the price of 95 octane was somewhere at P40 or less. Today the price is 62.50 while the price of LPG per liter is 32.50. Based on my seven years of Math 11 I estimate that delaying the decision cost me at least 50 thousand pesos.

LPG is currently half the price of gasoline. That is already half the argument and the best excuse to convert to LPG.
    Last edited by theveed; July 19th, 2008 at 02:43 PM.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Nice write-up, especially the last paragraph...

Today the price is 62.50 while the price of LPG per liter is 32.50. Based on my seven years of Math 11 I estimate that delaying the decision cost me at least 50 thousand pesos.

LPG is currently half the price of gasoline. That is already half the argument and the best excuse to convert to LPG.
    Analysis-Paralysis, folks...

yup i agree.. iipon muna me ng pambili ng kit for my car..

4. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    can not argue with the article... its hard to ignore the savings but still lack LPG stations from my daily route.

guilty ata ako dun sa "lifestyle" change hehehe

5. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Half price argument for LPG cars versus void warranty as my Toyota SA warns :

of course I still went to conversion, the amount of savings I'm getting is P1,000/week...so to hell with the warranty, anyway casa PMS really sucks

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by alwayz_yummy View Post
    yup i agree.. iipon muna me ng pambili ng kit for my car..
    you can make faster ipon if you convert to LPG na ... saving over 40% in the price of gasoline each time you pump LPG in your tank.

7. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Mile2 View Post
    Half price argument for LPG cars versus void warranty as my Toyota SA warns :

of course I still went to conversion, the amount of savings I'm getting is P1,000/week...so to hell with the warranty, anyway casa PMS really sucks
    When people buy brand new vehicles, a big factor is that the manufacturer and the vehicle are reliable. So in reality, what's the warranty for? Is it because at the back of the mind, what you bought is unreliable, or who you bought it from is unreliable?

8. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by smdelfin View Post
    When people buy brand new vehicles, a big factor is that the manufacturer and the vehicle are reliable. So in reality, what's the warranty for? Is it because at the back of the mind, what you bought is unreliable, or who you bought it from is unreliable?
    It's because you can never be sure. There's always a percentage chance at a defect, even if you're buying from a "reliable" manufacturer like Toyota or Honda, and the warranty means that you can claim free service on said defect, be it rattling, a suspension problem, an electrical problem or even (knock on wood) an engine problem.

But in general, yeah, you can skip casa service after the first few services and do it outside, as long as you use the right fluids and change intervals.You shouldn't have to put up with expensive casa service to keep your warranty... in fact, in the US, you can keep your warranty even if you service outside, as long as the shop has a certified mechanic.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

9. Join Date
    Sep 2008
    after reading the article...i think i'm 50% convince that i'm going to have my 2008 two week old Mazda 3 converted....

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by actor21 View Post
    after reading the article...i think i'm 50% convince that i'm going to have my 2008 two week old Mazda 3 converted....
    The Altis I use was roughly a year old when we did the conversion, would have done it earlier if i had the budget. I never went back to the CASA for service after the 5K stop either (i switched to LPG at the 12,000kms mileage mark).

Half price argument for LPG cars