New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    FrankDrebin,
    how does driving at high noon affect fuel economy? all I can think of is having the aircon at full blast! :D

kimps,
    hehe. mahilig ako mangkaskas kaya ayan bulsa ang gasgas. hehe sige po master! haha.

badkuk,
    I'm not sure about the clutch plate. But then I'm really waiting for someone to say if it does have any effect. I've been driving for 2 years on my strada. So far I've been to battery discharge in a year, to broken screws that led to suspension failure, to tire slices, to leaf spring premature breaking...and just lately, clutch breakdown...I don't know...did mitsu give us the low end strada? or its just that I'm a new driver.

2. FrankDrebin Guest
    Originally posted by notEworthy27
    FrankDrebin,
    how does driving at high noon affect fuel economy? all I can think of is having the aircon at full blast! :D
    High Temperature weather....

Higher Engine Temp....

Your Airconditioning unit at full blast both the fan and temp....

More work load for your engine...

More fuel to consume....

+ evaporation of fuel....

;)

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    ingat lang sa full blast ang aircon at high noon.

i was at NLEX with that scenario

result: shatterred windshield

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    DRIVER ENERGY EFFICIENCY TIPS click here!

Nakita ko lang ito habang may hinahanap na ibang topic. :D

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    noteworthy, check mo sa manuals mo or sa internet. Mas maganda if you shift even before the torque peak, just make sure you dont exceed it, kasi you'll be consuming more gas with diminishing toque (horsepower increases though).

6. FrankDrebin Guest
    Originally posted by Ungas
    DRIVER ENERGY EFFICIENCY TIPS click here!

Nakita ko lang ito habang may hinahanap na ibang topic. :D
    Ipopost ko lang para cute...
    :D

7. FrankDrebin Guest
    EFFICIENCY TIPS

DRIVE TO SAVE FUEL
    Whether you are an occasional or an every day driver, you can decrease the amount of fuel you use by taking the energy saving steps described in this pamphlet

DRIVING SKILLS
    The driving technique of the person behind the wheel is the most important single factor in determining the fuel economy of a particular car. A fuel economy conscious driver can achieve 30 to 50% better mileage than most other drivers by practising the following instructions:

The Driver Attitude

1. Always think about fuel economy while you drive.
    2. Always drive for fuel economy.
    3. Avoid driving when you are angry or upset.
    4. Consider using public transportation when ever possible.

The 30 Seconds Warm Up

1. Idle your engine during its initial start no more than 30 seconds. Car engines warm up faster when they are in motion.
    2. Idling more than 30 seconds not only wastes fuel but also does harm to your engine, since oil can't do its best lubricating job unless the car is in motion.
    3. Depress the accelerator just once as added pumping wastes fuel.
    4. Do not rev up the engine before turning it off. This dumps raw fuel on the cylinder walls; washing away the protective lubricating oil film and increasing engine wear at the next start. This also wastes fuel.

Avoid Screeching Starts

1. Jerky acceleration or screeching starts can increase fuel consumption by reducing approximately one kilometer per litre in city driving.
    2. Accelerate briskly, but smoothly, upto 50 kmph. . Then moderately up to 65 kmph... then keep a steady pressure on the accelerator... just enough to maintain speed.

Drive at Moderate Speeds

1. Always rely on the feather foot pressure approach on the accelerator; this will result in even better fuel savings.
    2. Observing 80 kmph speed limit saves fuel and money.
    3. Driving below speed limits on highways produces even greater fuel savings

Avoid Low Gears... Get Up To Speed Quickly

1. Keep your car's speed up and over 35 kmph mark when you can.
    2. Skip a gear (go from 1st to 3rd or 4th) if you are on a flat road or slope.
    3. Run through all gears quickly and gently if going uphill.
    4. With automatic transmission, get the car rolling, then let up the accelerator, easing into high range quickly.

Hill Climbing Techniques
    Driving on hill consumes more fuel than driving on flat roads. The following tips will help in fuel economy:

1. Build up speed before approaching a hill, to avoid fuel wasting hard acceleration.
    2. The momentum developed will carry the vehicle over the crest, and gravity will help the vehicle go down the other side.

Keep Tyre Pressure Up
    Under inflated tyres can increase fuel consumption significantly. Please refer to Driver Energy Tips No. 2 "Wheel Alignment and Tyre Maintenance" for more information.

Avoid Short Trips...

1. Travel distances of 1 to 8 kilometers are considered as short trips.
    2. Short trips impose heavy fuel penalties on fuel economy due to cold vehicle parts, cold tyres and improper engine lubrication.
    3. It takes approximately 25 kilometers drive for fuel efficient operation of a vehicle.
    4. Avoid starting the engine until you are actually ready.
    5. Plan ahead. Combine your shopping errands into one trip.
    6. Include shopping trips into normal commuting trip.
    7. Travel during off peak hours when there is less traffic congestion.
    8. Operating air conditioner in city traffic reduces fuel economy by approximately 9%.
    9. Park in the first reasonable parking space available.

Choose Route For Fuel Economy

1. Congested, stop and go city routes waste time and fuel.
    2. Rough or loose road surfaces can reduce fuel economy by 10 30%.
    3. Choose a slightly longer flat and un-congested outer, instead of a shorter, congested hilly or mountain road.

Anticipate Driving Conditions
    The smoother your driving pattern, the better your fuel economy.

1. Keep an eye on the traffic at least two cars ahead and avoid stop and go fuel wasting situations.
    2. Learn to judge traffic light durations, i.e., red light will turn to green before you stop if you have already slowed down gradually.
    3. If you are at a red traffic light and plan to turn left, do not waste fuel by sitting at the light. Go ahead and turn if traffic is clear and left turn is allowed
    4. If you are at a green traffic light and plan to turn right, do not waste fuel by sitting at the light. Go ahead and turn if traffic is clear, otherwise wait for the turning arrow signal to go green.
    5. Unnecessary braking and stopping means more acceleration and more fuel consumed to get back to speed.
    6. It takes up to six times as much fuel to move a car from a dead stop than it does, if it is moving just a few kmph.
    7. Fuel is wasted by driving too close to the car ahead, since you must constantly brake and accelerate, brake and accelerate.
    8. Varying speed on the highway even by as little as 8 kmph can reduce fuel economy by as much as 0.5 km/litre.

Avoid Unnecessary Idling

1. It takes less fuel to restart a car after engine has warmed up, than to idle it for more than a minute. Generally there is no need to press the accelerator to restart the engine.
    2. Avoid engine idling while waiting for some one

Reduce Wind Resistance
    Wind resistance creates a drag on fuel economy. A smooth car, aerodynamically designed, cuts through the wind barrier more quickly and more efficiently. To reduce wind resistance always:

1. Close windows at speeds over 60 kmph.
    2. Remove luggage racks when not in use.
    3. Do not carry unnecessary weight in your car. An extra 45 kg reduces fuel economy by about 1 % for the average car.

DRIVING TIPS SUMMARY

1. Avoid screeching starts.
    2. Maintain a steady speed.
    3. Anticipate stops as far ahead as possible.
    4. Adjust driving to changing road conditions.
    5. Avoid engine idling for more than one minute.
    6. Compared to a cold start, restarting the engine within 8 10 minutes causes little engine wear.
    7. Avoid unnecessary steering wheel movement, since each sideward movement causes fuel consuming drag.
    8. Accelerate slowly on gravel or slippery road.
    9. Keep windows closed at highway speeds, use internal venting.
    10. Avoid using the air conditioner at lower speeds.
    11. Respond to wind forces by driving slowly into the wind and then letting it help you while driving with the wind.
    12. Take advantage of rolling resistance to help you slow down as opposed to heavy braking.
    13. Switch off all power consuming accessories before switching on the ignition so as to minimize battery load during the next start.
    14. Revving the engine, just before switching off the ignition consumes extra fuel and may cause engine damage.

8. FrankDrebin Guest
    another suggestion....

kapag madalas na short trip lang biyahe mo then buy a scooter or a bicycle?

My scooter's fuel bill cost me Php30 a week...everyday use by my wife weekend by me.

9. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    mag diesel na lang lang po.. laking tipid talaga...

sir kimpoy, paano nabasag yung windshield due to aircon? parang mahirap yata mangyari yun...

sa pagkakaalam ko po eh mag-expand yung windshield pag maiinit weather like high noon.. at pag hindi maganda ang kabit ng rubber around the windshield at tumama sa body.. kaboom na..

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Thanks FrankDrebin! Di ko kasi ma-cut and paste may ginawa ako kanina. :D

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
fuel economizing driving technique?