New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2005

This morning, I was surprised to learn that diesel prices increased by P1/liter. And so now, it is only cheaper by 6% compared to unleaded gas... Would you still consider buying the more expensive diesel variant or any diesel vehicle for that matter?

6404:pump:
    Last edited by CVT; July 12th, 2008 at 02:23 PM.

2. Join Date
    May 2006
    Very good point

A good common rail diesel engine would still be an option for me especially if I'll be needing more torque from a 4 cylinder, like for steep elevations. Remember, gas and diesel engines are still worlds apart which means that they consume fuel differently.

Even if we say that they will eventually have the same retail price, diesel fuel burns slower than gasoline hence you still get greater distance per liter

3. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    ^What he said.

I also factor in durability i.e. on average, a diesel engine can run for up to more than three times the mileage of a gasoline engine before requiring a major overhaul/rebuild.

I never once rued the day I bought a diesel ride, although in hindsight, I sometimes wish that the CRDi cars on the market today were available four years ago; they would have made my choices MUCH more interesting back then. :D
    Last edited by Bogeyman; July 12th, 2008 at 06:30 PM.

4. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Ako naman given my mileage even when diesel was much cheaper than gas I really never considered it since malaki price difference ng diesel engines sa gas engines. And by the way, how about if diesel becomes more expensive than gas (which is a fact in the world markets) would you still go for it?

5. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    I agree with all the positive comments about diesel engine. In Europe diesel fuel is more expensive than gasoline and yet it's widely use.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    General consensus eh if u have an existing gas, u convert to LPG, if buying new vehicle, get CRDi.

7. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    for pickups/suvs i think diesel is still better, how ever, is there a CRDi system na for these types of vehicle?

8. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Another point to consider:

Lately there's a silent transformation in the shuttle service flying the metro route...Tamaraw FX GAS version are being resurrected and being used as shuttle service and they are all LPG converted.

Why the sudden shift? most operators will point to one considerable and obvious reason........rebuilding a gasoline engine is more cheaper than rebuilding a diesel engine.

Plus, no problem on emission regulation and cheaper fuel price.

9. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    hmm

prob on the diesel is pag nasira mahal ang repair and tulad ng crdi like the 4jx1, bawal kay manong ipagawa unlike gasoline engines ..

pero ako mas gusto ko if meron ako both gas and diesel vehicle ..

i agree on the posts above on diesel ..

10. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    I think the main advantage of a Diesel engine lies in the consumption, Diesels generally give you more kilometers per liter than its gas counterparts.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Diesel Is Only 6% Cheaper Than Gas, Would You Still Consider Buying Diesel Vehicle?