New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    I am with you there. We should all reach the goal of 100% BIODIESEL ASAP!!!!

But let us not forget that this may not be possible within this decade.

First off, current engine & fuel lines of current diesel vehicles can only handle up to B5 (as this is the current maximum ng WWFC charter). Ibig sabihin, kung B10 (or higher) ang blend ng gagamitin, siguradong masisira ang mga fuel lines ng kotse (except for some vehicles na kaya ng up to B100 pero those are in the extreme minority sa ngayon).

Also, don't forget that the higher the blend, the more raw materials and infrastructure will be needed. Also, there must be variety of sources ng feedstock/raw materials for biodiesel if the blends will be increased (cannot be from just one source kasi this will increase food prices) as well as the fact that there must be wide area for planting the raw materials and producing it (although that part may not be a problem).

So yeah, those are the obstacles to achieveing full 100% BIODIESEL fuel. But once the obstacles have been achieved (siguro by 2020 hopefully), then B100 will become a reality.

2. Join Date
    May 2007
    Thanks Blackraven for your support.

I'd like to make a suggestion. If the fuel lines are keeping you from using 100% biodiesel, I suggest replacing them with realiable cheap braided chemical hose one can buy from the autosupply store. They would have to be replaced anyway at some point in time.

I'd like to report to the forum that we've distributed over 6000 liters of 100% biodiesel to vehicles ranging from jepneys, delivery vans, revos, fx's, starex, crosswinds, pajeros, delicas etc. And they keep coming back. No reports of failed fuel lines, injector pumps nor engines so far.

Best regards to everyone.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    RS,

Parang ok yung 100%. Do you have a gas station or filling station? Location?

4. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    I also agree that the end goal should be B100. Personally, I would start with B20 then work my way up.

Like rsnald, I would like to know if you know where we can get them?

In addition, do you have a recommended realiable cheap braided chemical hose that I can use to replace my fuel lines? I don't know which ones are Biodiesel-compatible. From the Internet, there was a mention of Goodyear Flexsteel, Ambassador, BC Gasoline and BC Marina as BD compatible.

5. Join Date
    May 2007
    Fuego4x2 and 4Gjtootsie,

The braided chemical hose I'm referring to are exactly those you can find in an autosupply store. It's a transparent bluish plastic hose reinforced with braided polyethylene (PE) strands so that it can withstand high pressure. From what my friend told me, it's made polyvinylchloride (PVC) plastic and should be compatible with diesel, gasoline, acids, bases, etc. We use as fuel lines for B100 and we haven't experienced any propblems. In fact, we used a 1 and 1/4 inch braided chemical hose in my friends biodiesel processor in his garage. It's constantly exposed for hours to harsh conditions and to biodiesel itself once the reaction is complete.

My friend and I have a small shop were people can fill up. We keeps the cost down using used cooking oil. He says it's the same as using fresh oil as mpurities are removed during processing.

Using used cooking oil, in our humble opinion, is better than using fresh oil in many ways aside from the fact that biodiesel lowers emmisions. By using used cooking oil, we don't compete with food supplies. We prevent used cooking oil from being recycled into fying oil for chicharon, and into ingredient in livestock feeds. Do you know what gets into cooking oil after it's used? ...dead mice, flies, cockroaches, insects, animal dropings and everything you can imagine. This may be the reason why they have this outbreak of hog pest in farms in Bulacan.They just mix used cooking oil into the feedstuff with all the said goodies. Yummy!

Best to everyone.

6. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    beep beep.
    Im just new here sirs.
    Agree with the waste cooking oil as raw mat for BD sirs, my guess is that this way the carcinogens and unknown products dumped with the waste oil dont end up back to the food chain. im not sure if bioaccumulation is sort of prevented this way.
    anyone know where to sell the glycerine?
    thanks and Godspeed

7. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    As you know, I've long been a biofuels enthusiast. As we Filipinos find alternative fuels to reduce our dependence on depleted oil supplies and to mitigate green house gases (GHG) that cause Global Warming, may I suggest we make sure the biofuels we tap are best suited for our country.

Specifically, I refer to the following research:

Ethanol, schmethanol (The Economist, Sept. 29, 2007, page 80) saying:
    "everyone may be wrong in thinking ethanol is a good way to make cars greener"
    See: http://www.economist.com/science/displaystory.cfm?story_id=9861379

Jatropha: What the public should know (The Philippine Daily Inquirer, Sept. 8, 2007) where:
    A group of agriculturists (UP Los Banos professors) warn that jatropha proponents are " peddling misleading information as facts." The professors "advise people to study the facts first before going into jatropha farming."
    See: http://opinion.inquirer.net/inquireropinion/talkofthetown/view_article.php?article_id=87461

BAR leads biofuels R&D program (The Philippine Star, Oct. 7, 2007, page B4) reporting that:
    "BAR will continue to support R&D activities to improve biofuel production " from " sweet sorghum, coconut, cassava, sugarcane, corn and jatropha ."

Unfortunately, in my observation of Philippine efforts: we continue to overlook biogas - the most eco-friendly of all renewable and alternative biofuels . Its abundance, easy and cheap to produce qualities, especially in the Philippines, does not seem to matter.

Most pig farms are already producing biogas in massive quantities. Instead of using it as fuel, they emit biogas as a potent GHG into our atmosphere (making Global Warming worse) and they spill it into waterways (making our waterways toxic to both humans and marine life.)

Biogas is already available. All we have to do is collect it! Biofuels from crops have to be planted, harvested and then processed in expensive facilities that do not yet exist locally. Some of these facilities even have to be invented first.

Please look at Nepal's Biogas Sector Partnership (formerly Biogas Support Programme).
    See: http://www.bspnepal.org.np/introduction.htm

Despite Nepal's extreme weather; a livestock industry that does not include swine for religious reasons; and, a CDM (Clean Development Mechanism) baseline that only provides 1/2 of usual incentives (when cow dung is used in lieu of pig manure), Nepal has been able to build over 150,000 home biogas systems. What's more, 19,396 units are CDM eligible. They mitigate 93,883 tons of CO2 emissions that can be sold in the carbon market for up to U$2.06 Million per year * U$22/tCO2e.
    See: http://cdm.unfccc.int/Projects/projsearch.html

Let us put up a biogas program that covers the many backyard pigfarms operating as cottage industries in our rural communities . Commercial pig farms need not be included as they are already getting vast amounts of "FREE" electricity and reaping CDM benefits from their biogas systems.

Using Region 3 as an example, where 10,000 home biogas systems are an easy objective, a potential mitigation of 15 tCO2e/yr/unit (compared to Nepal's 7 tCO2e/yr/unit) can generate up to U$2.2 Million annually from carbon trading (even if they are sold only at half of prevailing prices.) These funds can be used to sustain the program and/or fund research into other biofuels.

Let us save our precious petrodollars and avail of Kyoto Protocol incentives under the CDM program before they lapse in 2012. I can help coordinate efforts on this. I also recommend 5 cubic meter Home Biogas Systems I designed that can be built for P10,000 or less for this project.

Some countries use biogas as vehicle fuel.

More clean power and mabuhay to all!

Gerry
    - - - - - - - - - - -
    Gerardo P. Baron
    Phone: +63 927 407 1142
    Email: biofuels.work*gmail.com

8. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by biogas.works View Post
    Jatropha: What the public should know (The Philippine Daily Inquirer, Sept. 8, 2007) where:
    A group of agriculturists (UP Los Banos professors) warn that jatropha proponents are " peddling misleading information as facts." The professors "advise people to study the facts first before going into jatropha farming."
    See: http://opinion.inquirer.net/inquireropinion/talkofthetown/view_article.php?article_id=87461
    people should really read this carefully. I am not buying 152 pesos/liter biodiesel if the current rate for bd100 is 125 pesos per liter.

dami nang "introduced species" bloopers ang pilipinas (golden apple snail, janitor fishes, catfishes, gobies sa lake lanao, etc etc.), let's not add jatropha to it.

9. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    The most interesting aspect of BIOGAS, compared to jatropha, ethanol & others that have to be planted, harvested and processed in facilities that have-to-built first, is that we are producing huge quantities of biogas right now.

And, because we are not collecting it:
    1. it escapes into the atmosphere as a very toxic Greenhouse Gas (GHG) to worsen Global Warming and
    2. we are deprived of huge financial incentives from Annex 1 countries in the international fight against Global Warming.
    Biogas is renewable, "FREE" and eco-friendly. It can be collected, scrubbed and compressed for use as vehicle fuel. Google "biogas vehicles" and see for yourself how many countries are already using it.

If scrubbing and compressing is too complex, expensive and un-available at this time, using biogas for cooking, heating and air-conditioning will also save precious petro-dollars. In addition, this effort can earn lotsa $$$$'s from Carbon Trading and the carbon market.

Ethanol, jatropha & others are good biofuels that we need to develop. In the meantime, however, let us not overlook biogas that is actually "poisoning" us slowly simply because we are ignoring it.

Let us instead, collect and use biogas to save our petrodollars and earn $$$'s from Carbon Trading.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Sorry for my ignorance... but can CRDi's (Kia Carens) handle 10% biodiesel? Thanks!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Biodiesel Rulez!!! [continued]