New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by fuego4x2 View Post
    Greetings to all bioD users out there. Just a curious question, are you concerned that the Biofuel Act which mandates a 1% blend of CME to all diesels is somehow a tactic to slow down the growth of BioD advocates/promoters such as homebrewers/independent brewers?

Kasi isipin mo, kung pre-blended na, why buy from brewers or simply why clamor for more than 1%? This is almost implying na hanggang 1% na lang talaga ang blend unless ma-update ang law. Unless, ikaw mismo mag mix --- ang gagawa lang naman nito ay mga die hard SME users. What about the other 99% diesel users?

1% is actually a great deal for the big oil companies kasi having a CME distributor that supplies them with CME for pre-mixing is just like allowing another independent distributor like SeaOil etc in the market. Loose change kumbaga. Wouldn't make a dent on their income. This leads me to believe that we will still be highly dependent on imported oil even after this law has been passed. And, this law is going to ensure that we will always be for a looong time. Alam nyo naman, kapag naging batas na, napakatagal na namang panahon ang aantayin natin na mabago yan! This is what is bothering me. If we are truly going to aspire for some sort of oil-independence, we shouldn't be contented with the Biofuel act. Let's aim for foreign-oil independendence!

Whatyathink?
    i totally disagree with this line of thinking... specially because i know some of the the goings-on and behind the scene wranglings that happened just to have the biofuel act crafted and finally passed as a law. the law was precisely put in place to mandate, or to use a more direct term, to force the petroleum companies to add 1% blend CME at the pump. The initial proposal to add 1% is to avoid the possible impact on the price and supply of coconut oil when CME-related production and consumptions spikes. this is a sort of built in protection to prevent the sudden rise in the price of coco oil w/c will make CME use costly.

the petroleum companies were totally against adding any percentage, even half a percent, even when when their foreign counterparts or their mother companies already recognize the benefits of biodiesel based on other vegetable oils. and we also have to establish the efficacy of CME vs. other biodiesels hence the initial proposal was to add only 1% (B1) which would eventually be ramped up to 5% if the initial results of B1 addition is really good.
    Now as to using 100% BD, the only real hindrance to that is the price of coco oil itself. it simply is much more expensive than regular diesel fuel to start with. If only the price of coco oil is lower or almost equal to diesel, then we'd be happily all pure CME on our rides. but the next question there would be the price of methanol- another chemical feedstock needed to make CME.

kung gusto mo total independence from petroleum... imbentuhin mo yung cold fusion engine, yung parang katulad sa back to the future, kahit basura pwede mo gawing fuel

-------------------------------------------

MODERATOR'S NOTE:

The original (archived) thread can be found at:

http://tsikot.yehey.com/forums/showt...t=5503&page=77

Last edited by ghosthunter; October 12th, 2010 at 05:01 PM.

2. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by rsnald View Post
    kung gusto mo total independence from petroleum... imbentuhin mo yung cold fusion engine, yung parang katulad sa back to the future, kahit basura pwede mo gawing fuel
    komusta. sorry for the long absence. as for "cold fusion" i can't resist mentioning "biogas" specially after reading this:

Four million for biogas buses in Gelderland and Zeeland
    Date published: Jul 25, 2007
    The Dutch Government is encouraging the implementation of environment-friendly biogas buses. A subsidy of four million euro has been allocated for the project known as Coalition Riding on Biogas (CROB)."
    see: <http://gave.novem.nl/gave/index.asp?id=25&detail=1683>

basura din ang feedstock for biogas, more specifically "animal manure." many pigfarms in the philippines now produce electricity using biogas. but you and i know that is a very inefficient process.

mayor binay wants to build a biogas-to-electricity system in makati using food waste from restaurants and hotels to charge his electric jeepneys. good idea but really wasteful compared to using biogas directly as fuel.

as for the biofuels act, would you and other tsikoteers agree that diesel vehicle emissions seem lesser now? parang mas kaunti ang usok ng mga jeepney ngayon? ay, salamat!

gerry

3. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Thank you for the reply, sarcasm included. Just to make myself clear, i said " foreign-oil independence" not "total independence from petroleum".

4. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Hi All!

I was informed by the supplier that the gas stations apparently use less than 1% blend

For Shell the blend is .7%, for Petron it's .8%

No results yet from test done on Caltex and other stations.

Flying V gets their CME from different sources so consistency and quality may be a problem.

Apparently the biofuels act has a clause or something that states that .7% is the minimum blend that can be used while the ideal blend is 1%

Just thought y'all ought to know.

:regards:

5. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    [SIZE=1][SIZE=2]No sarcasm intended below. Just plain INFO that we can learn from. Yesterday my post mentioned how the Dutch (Netherlands) allotted Four Million Euro for biogas-run buses. Below is an excerpt about how 11,500 vehicles in Sweden run on biogas and the practice is growing.[/SIZE] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=1]BIOGAS – a renewable fuel for the transport sector for the present and the future from: [/SIZE][SIZE=1]http://www.sgc.se/Rapporter/Resources/Biogasinfo07.pdf[/SIZE]

[SIZE=1]Biogas has been used as vehicle fuel since the beginning of the 90´s in Sweden. So far there are 30 upgrading plants in operation or construction phase, which makes Sweden a world leader in this area. Today there are over 11 500 vehicles that use methane fuel in the country. Biogas is used in large scale systems and in several cities like Kristianstad and Linköping all of the city buses run on biogas. The market for biogas as vehicle fuel is growing in Sweden and the sales increased with almost 50 % 2006 compared with 2005. [/SIZE]

It is very easy to make biogas (in the Philippines where the temperature is ideal) using animal waste from large and small pigfarms that are very abundant. The effort also helps prevent Global Warming bigtime because biogas is a very POTENT greenhouse gas.

Or, until technologies are developed for turning algae (another abundant, easy to propagate and Global Warming-friendly feedstock) into biofuels, it can be used to make biogas.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Thank you for the reply, sarcasm included. Just to make myself clear, i said " foreign-oil independence" not "total independence from petroleum".
    oops, sori pre, no sarcasm intended dun. perhaps my poor choice of words relayed a wrong message, pero walang intention to be sarcastic; poor attempt at humor. anyway, eto na lang siguro maidadagdag ko, the petroleum companies tried very hard to block the inclusion of biodiesel, citing safety and coco price issues. In the end, hard data and testing by the automotive companies proved the safety issues raised by the petroleum companies as incorrect or inconsequential.

7. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    oops, sori pre, no sarcasm intended dun. perhaps my poor choice of words relayed a wrong message, pero walang intention to be sarcastic; poor attempt at humor. anyway, eto na lang siguro maidadagdag ko, the petroleum companies tried very hard to block the inclusion of biodiesel, citing safety and coco price issues. In the end, hard data and testing by the automotive companies proved the safety issues raised by the petroleum companies as incorrect or inconsequential.
    No worries, no harm done. Thank you for the apology.

Going back to the discussion, I do hope that sometime in the near future, we can increase the blend to maybe 5% and then 10% and so on. Do you know if the Biofuel act has provisions for this?

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    No worries, no harm done. Thank you for the apology.

Going back to the discussion, I do hope that sometime in the near future, we can increase the blend to maybe 5% and then 10% and so on. Do you know if the Biofuel act has provisions for this?
    I read the draft of the IRR (implementing rules and regulation) of the Biofuels Act of 2006. Up 2% (B2 blend) lang ang nakalagay dun as provided for by the law. And this is not yet even a certainty, kung ire-recommend lang ng National Biofuels Board two years after implementing the 1% mandatory blend (w/c started last May). It would all depend on the economics of coco oil siguro, and on the availability and technical and performance of other oil feedstocks like jathropa. maganda magnegosyo ng copra ngayon o kaya coconut plantation. Japan is looking at the Philippines as a "premium" quality source of biodiesel. BD made of coconut has been confirmed to have properties that is unique to coco oil - e.g., lower NOX emissions compared to soya and rape seed oil BD.

9. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    rsnald,

Komusta? As you know, I ran mileage tests on CME using a simulated dyno procedure to make the tests relatively accurate. Before the Biofuels Act was implemented, I was seeing mileage improvements of 5-10% on my two older vehicles when using 0.5% and 1% CME blends.

After the BioFuels Act was implemented, my observations dropped to between 0-5%. Is it possible, after the BioFuels Act was implemented, that Oil Companies discontinued adding enhancers/additives and replaced them simply with 1% CME?

If you recall, Petron announced the XCS fuels (enhanced with organic additives) just before the implementation of the BioFuels Act. This should also explain why they haven't increased prices to compensate for the additional cost of CME.

gerry

10. Join Date
    May 2007
    If we really want to decrease our dependency on imported fuel, the philippine government should entertain the idea of using 100% biodiesel as fuel and not just as enhancer. And we consumers should do the same. Biodiesel manufacturers on their part should focus more on their duty to community rather than on the bottom line and lower their profit. Just some wishful thinking here.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Biodiesel Rulez!!! [continued]