New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    I'm thinking of buying a car within the next quarter (or maybe half) of the year. My brother's kinda pressuring me to buy one since I kept on hogging my sister's Mazda 3 for over 3 years now.

In the end, I narrowed my entries into (ranked according to current preference):

1. Hyundai Sonata non-Premium (1.4m)
    2. Hyundai Sonata Premium (1.6m)
    3. Montero Sport 4x2 GLS-V (1.4m)
    4. Hyundai Genesis Coupe 3.8L A/T (1.9m)

There's a huge disparity over the prices, even I acknowledge that. Technically, my given budget (the ones my parents would shoulder) is somewhat in the tune of less than 1m (or the price of a 1.8S Civic). I'm wagering that I can increase that to the budget of the 1.3m CR-V while I'll spend for the excess.

For a brief background, I'm a working university student (I don't act like one) Working -- as a since-HS-investor and as an entrepreneur this coming summer. I am financially capable of financing the excess cash (which is why the Genesis Coupe is there). The thing here is that: I've become exceedingly price-conscious as I'd rather funnel the excess funds into my start up (how price-conscious? I offered to buy my sister's Mazda 3 at 500k but the excess 500k goes into my pockets and the 200k difference between Sonata Premium and non-premium got me thinking)

Dream-wise, I'll get a Hyundai Genesis Coupe since I dunno if I'll grow up to be that type of balding guy who drives a Porsche in the future or would be a self-actualized daddy driving family cars with the kids without caring what the others think. So I thought of living on a high for 5 years (coupe + twenties = WTF) and start worrying thereafter.

Of course, there's that middle ground of selfishness and practicality which is why I settled for a Sonata as my top 2 choices. 4 doors - check. ***y - check. Head-turner - check. Bang-per-buck - check.

The Montero presents the best of my practical side. Wouldn't have to worry about floods and future cargo problems (if there is). Problem is, I'm biased towards sedans rather than SUVs and I don't see myself tying the knot soon when I'm less than 20 years of age.

ATM, I crossed off compact sedans and I'm definitely not a fan of subcompact cars. (In other words, I like my cars relatively big. I'm not compromising there on a purchase)

Frankly, I know my family would frown (big frown) if I dip into my earnings just to finance my car. The choices surpasses the budget given since I want to buy a car I want and not because it's within the "budget". Family situation is that we're one of those discreet upper-class families that uses a 2002 CRV with 140k on the odometer as a daily family workhorse while having bulletproof SUVs in the garage for work purposes

Bottom Question here is that: Opt for Practicality (Sonata/Montero) [your family is all smiles] or Selfishness (Coupe) [you're all smiles]?

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I know how you feel about deciding between your heart's desire and practical decisions.

If it was me, I would narrow down my choices to the Sonata. So you will just have to decide if the premium or non-premium variant is worth it for you given the P200,000 price difference.

3. Join Date
    Mar 2010
    i'd get the sonata premium, i love the GC but in your case i'd rather save the money. also i'm assuming you're going to shoulder gas and maintenance besides the 900k additional money you'll be adding, for a working student that would really hurt your pocket. the sonata premium isn't as fun as the GC but when it comes to the looks it doesn't fall behind, it has more features than the GC, more room and better FC than the GC.

4. Join Date
    Dec 2005

I'd rather see you "all smiles", bro....

You just pay-out the difference 'later'.....

12.3K:outcold:

5. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Hehe.. Mahirap talaga magdecide... Pag isipan mo nlang kung alin, "what you need" from "what you want"..

6. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    I'd suggest the Sonata Premium so you get the practicality of a midsize sedan while still retaining the good looks and some measure of performance. Getting the white one along with the big glass roof and slap on huge rims is perfect!

Or, you can get the Montero Sport, which is also not lacking in power, and has the high ground clearance and durability in case you should decide to go up to the mountains or encounter floods and also bring along lots of stuff. And then, you get to earn pogi points with your parents for helping them save money and/or showing your thrifty ways (lower purchase price, all the thrifty benefits of a diesel). If your parents are anything like my grandfather, I'm sure if they see your thoughtfulness in that you're trying to help save money and are even using your own money to fill in the part that they didn't, they'd be so happy that they'd shoulder all the expenses altogether. :rofl:
    Last edited by GTi; February 21st, 2011 at 02:06 PM.

7. Join Date
    May 2008
    As for me, bite the bullet and get what you want... you don't want something like this to happen to you:

Imagine yourself along EDSA, driving _____ <-- insert the car that you need; and suddenly a ________ <-- insert the car that you want; stops beside you in traffic. You do a double take at the car beside you. Then you think to yourself "Damn, that car looks way nice. I should have taken that instead". Then, you just try to ignore it as much as you can .

Take what you want and pay for it.

Just my opinion .

8. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    I see, so a majority still votes for the Premium variant rather than the non-Premium. Alright, I'll take note of that. 220k isn't really big once you start paying in monthly intervals (the wonders of installment plans..haha..). As much as I would like a GC, I think that the impracticality of having it as your non-weekend car is like wearing long-sleeved shirts during a hot summer. Gwapo nga, impractical lang nga but nothing stops a party like a hot car.

I guess #1 ko right now is the Premium Sonata. Already checked out the interior and I really like its "feel"... now if they only followed-up my test drive

Haha, actually had eyes on a Mitsu EX on 2007 but couldn't pull the trigger overpriced kasi dati GT-A eh.

*GTi

Ganun pala yun tips para expense-paid lahat

9. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Prioritize.

Business will make you earn (under ideal conditions).

versus

A car will make you part with your money (acquisition, operation, maintenance and consequential payables such as parking, fuel, insurance, et cetera).

As I am sure you know, it's ideal to have a buffer fund whenever you run a business. It's best to stay liquid so you're ready for anything.

As for a car. I'd probably buy a second hand FD (or even a brand new one) FD will become a classic like the EK (not really a fan yet of the upcoming 2012 Civic), a Nissan Livina or a Mitsu Strada GL. Civic for its effortlessness to drive, not to mention its excellent handling and reliability. Livina for its thriftiness and low maintenance cost, Strada for its usefulness. I suggest you wait for the GTV version which will come out this March.

Genesis Coupe and Sonata can wait. These are pricey cars with pricey maintenance and operating cost. Unless your parents are also gonna pay for those, you're gonna get drained financially. Personally, I'd wait for the diesel version.

10. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    swanky nga ang dating ng sonata e - cool yet mature looking.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Would you compromise on your first car?