New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    Yeah. But when you consider how decontented it is compared to the rest of the line-up (it's the only Fortuner without leather), that gives you more of a reason to upgrade.
    Common behavior yan ng ibang peeps, buy a low end model. Replace the emblem. Convert sa leather seats. Palit mags. Maglalagay ng engines upgrades to make it fast. Pero nauunahan pa rin. hehehe :D

2. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    it seems that the premise is nearly impossible. the available suv on the market with m/t are the bare and base models, need not to say underpowered, and are not equipped with a 4x4 (except suzuki jimny which seats 4 and runs on 1.3 petrol engine.)

sir niky is basically right with the 2 questions he raised: Why would you need an SUV? Why manual?

I would also like to raise another question: "Are you eyeing for a 2nd hand SUV or a brand new one?"

3. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    Mitsubishi Montero Sport GLS
    Yes, there's no other perceivable choice sa mga mid-size riddled with base models and only 4x2. This one is actually 4x4.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Montero Sport GLS
    Isuzu Alterra (I'm not sure if you will like it, but I know it is durable enough)

5. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    that would be dependent on your reasons for wanting one.
    2.5 vs. 3.0.. do you need the extra oomph? maybe you can get by with replacing the external emblem. heh heh..
    are you a true-blue manual fanatic like me? or, as my brothers would say, are you willing to listen to reason and change over to automatic? (a never-ending debate that only you can answer..)
    are you buying one to use it (practicality - get the cheapest you are willing to afford), or are you joining it in a beauty contest (vanity-get the most expensive unit that money can buy)?
    4x4 versus 4x2.. do you live in the bundoks, or in sta mesa (city traffic)? how does the thought of driving around with several dozen expensive pounds of deadweight metal sound?
    does your area have the requisite service center casa? or do you have to drive 200 km to get to the casa for the requisite regular maintenance?
    is your route and garage large enough to cater to your homongous vehicle? (many laughs there, as i have seen many examples of..)
    to me, while the montero does look more macho (o sige, stormtrooper-like), the fort looks ***ier. and i favor the seemingly taller seats of the fort..
    mitsu diesel vs. d4d? i'm as confused as the other guy.. it's hard to discern fact from fallacy nowadays, even with the internet..
    leather seats? it's a personal choice..
    what's my choice? i'd get the diesel innova E or G, manual or auto. same internal space as the fortuner, smaller external dimensions, cheaper too. i have no use for 4x4..
    good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    what's my choice? i'd get the diesel innova E or G, manual or auto. same internal space as the fortuner, smaller external dimensions, cheaper too. i have no use for 4x4..
    Innova is not bad for a minivan, but the SUV (Fortuner) still has quite a prestige image higher than a minivan. And also its higher ground clearance can also be helpful in a flood or other circumstances...

7. Join Date
    Mar 2011

Isuzu Alterra 3.0 Ddi-iTEQ (across all range, from Zen to Urban Cruiser)

Mitsubishi Monterosport Di-D

Toyota Fortuner 2.5 D4-D

8. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    I agree with bro hinDMaxsiado on this one. The Alterra may not be the best in its class, but it is the only one in its class to offer a 3.0L engine/manual transmission combo which makes it a very sturdy, powerful and economic choice.

9. Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by GTi View Post
    I agree with bro hinDMaxsiado on this one. The Alterra may not be the best in its class, but it is the only one in its class to offer a 3.0L engine/manual transmission combo which makes it a very sturdy, powerful and economic choice.

Thanks Sir GTi. Active ka din pala sir sa TopGear Phils

Going back, it's still up to the thread starter to choose amongst these three SUV's ---- he may even look at the 2.5-litre Toyota Innova D4-D, which is reasonably good and cheaper. In fact, it's even cheaper and better than the diesel-clunker Isuzu Crosswind Sportivo haha

For the information of the gentleman, all these manual-tranny SUV's are non-VGT equipped. They are all just standard diesel CRDi engines utilising wastegate-type turbochargers....
    ....It's still up to him to decide, whether or not, he will base his choices on the following ---- Stock and 1st-stage modified engine specs are as follows, as quoted en toto:

Isuzu Alterra 3.0 Ddi-iTEQ Zen 4x2 MT:

Power - 146 metric-hp
    Torque - 315 Nm
    Vehicle weight (gross) - 2515 kg
    Price - PhP1.388 M
    Space-wise - It is the longest among the three at 4950 mm, possibly giving more legroom, yet it is the narrowest at 1800 mm.

With a diesel-EFi tuning chip:
    Racechip Pro (Germany), priced at PhP24,000 for a tsikot member - 189 metric-hp, 382 Nm torque
    DTS chip (UK), priced at PhP35,000 - 190 metric-hp, 380 Nm torque

Mitsubishi Monterosport 2.5 GLX Di-D 4x2 MT:

Power - 136 metric-hp
    Torque - 314 Nm
    Vehicle weight (gross) - 2600 kg
    Price - PhP1.300 M
    Space-wise - Both the Montysport and the Forty share an identical length of 4695 mm. Width is 1815 mm

Racechip Pro (Germany), priced at PhP24,000 for a tsikot member - 177 metric-hp, 399 Nm torque
    DTS chip (UK), priced at PhP35,000 - 170 metric-hp, 380 Nm torque

Toyota Fortuner 2.5 D4-D 4x2 MT:

Power - 102 metric-hp
    Torque - 260 Nm
    Vehicle weight (gross) - could be the lightest of them all at 2450 kg????
    Price - PhP1.349 M
    Space-wise - It is the widest of them all at 1840 mm.

Racechip Pro (Germany), priced at PhP24,000 for a tsikot member - 133 metric-hp, 341 Nm torque

10. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by hinDMaxsiado View Post
    Thanks Sir GTi. Active ka din pala sir sa TopGear Phils

Going back, it's still up to the thread starter to choose amongst these three SUV's ---- he may even look at the 2.5-litre Toyota Innova D4-D, which is reasonably good and cheaper. In fact, it's even cheaper and better than the diesel-clunker Isuzu Crosswind Sportivo haha

For the information of the gentleman, all these manual-tranny SUV's are non-VGT equipped. They are all just standard diesel CRDi engines utilising wastegate-type turbochargers....
    ....It's still up to him to decide, whether or not, he will base his choices on the following ---- Stock and 1st-stage modified engine specs are as follows, as quoted en toto:

Isuzu Alterra 3.0 Ddi-iTEQ Zen 4x2 MT:

Power - 146 metric-hp
    Torque - 315 Nm
    Vehicle weight (gross) - 2515 kg
    Price - PhP1.388 M
    Space-wise - It is the longest among the three at 4950 mm, possibly giving more legroom, yet it is the narrowest at 1800 mm.

Racechip Pro (Germany), priced at PhP24,000 for a tsikot member - 189 metric-hp, 382 Nm torque
    DTS chip (UK), priced at PhP35,000 - 190 metric-hp, 380 Nm torque

Mitsubishi Monterosport 2.5 GLX Di-D 4x2 MT:

Power - 136 metric-hp
    Torque - 314 Nm
    Vehicle weight (gross) - 2600 kg
    Price - PhP1.300 M
    Space-wise - Both the Montysport and the Forty share an identical length of 4695 mm. Width is 1815 mm

Racechip Pro (Germany), priced at PhP24,000 for a tsikot member - 177 metric-hp, 399 Nm torque
    DTS chip (UK), priced at PhP35,000 - 170 metric-hp, 380 Nm torque

Toyota Fortuner 2.5 D4-D 4x2 MT:

Power - 102 metric-hp
    Torque - 260 Nm
    Vehicle weight (gross) - could be the lightest of them all at 2450 kg????
    Price - PhP1.349 M
    Space-wise - It is the widest of them all at 1840 mm.

Racechip Pro (Germany), priced at PhP24,000 for a tsikot member - 133 metric-hp, 341 Nm torque

Whoa! Where did you get the performance values of these cars? The difference is really very big... Is it in wheel horsepower already? When looking up the performance improvements in Speedlab's Unichip, they showed mostly only around 25-30whp increase for 3.0L CRDi turbo intercooler SUVs and pickups.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Whats a nice M/T SUV?