New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by shadow3616931 View Post
    try doing some math again, 50% down then 12 mos to pay on a montero, 4% something interest lang yun then check your cash flow carefully
    let us not forget the interest that 50% down could be earning for us had we kept it. instead, it is now earning interest for the car seller..

2. Join Date
    Aug 2012
    *bogeyman: Higante horizontally not vertically ;)

I have a few questions. I won't be making a new thread to avoid clutter...

Well sa pagiisip ko kahapon at kanina. I realize na I'm subconsciously or consciously picking sedans that are above 1.5L. So my price are way higher. Nagustuhan ko din ung Fiesta at City.

Say 2-3times a week, may carga ang kotse mo na ~500kgs (tao po lahat, assuming 4 125kg people.). I'm 125kgs. How big of an engine do I need or car for that matter? For City driving as well as for climbing like tagaytay highlands. Kung iiba ang requirement paseparate please. I want to see my options.
    1.) How would a 1.3/1.4 L engine like the Vios or Accent/Fiesta fare?
    2.) How about 1.5L like the City?
    3.) How about the 1.6L Altis or 1.8L na Focus?
    4.) if you were me and may cargo ka na 500kgs 2-3 times a week anong klaseng kotse ang pipiliin mo?
    5.) What do you think is the absolute minimum I need if 500kgs ang dadalhin ko? Recommended? Absolute Maxmimum na anything above is pure excess?

Most of my friends kc have 1.8L and above, so I'm sure kaya ng 1.8L and above, pero below that not sure.

Last is, while thinking of 2nd-hand while in MRT nakita ko ung mga 2nd hand cars sa Cats motors. And I remember na there is such a thing as "Certified pre-owned" sa US. Not the ones na nakikita ko sa sulit that they just slap the phrase. I'm thinking more of the kind na the manufacturer does a thorough inspection and certifies that the car is in top shape and slap a year or so of warranty in it. That will give me the peace of mind that I'm getting a solid 2nd hand and not from a random dealer. So far nakita ko palang is sa Toyota at Toyota Motor Philippines introduces pre-owned program - News | TopGear.com.ph and european cars (That I don't plan on getting).

Anyone know of other brands that does this sa pinas?

Thanks.

Sorry for the many edits. I found the answer to #1. http://auto.howstuffworks.com/auto-p...e/payload1.htm looks like that significantly narrows my choices...

3. Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Sir, punta ka sa Autocamp Ortigas, malapit sa MC Home Depot. Mas mura kesa dun sa mga certified pre-owned, at madami pa choices. Twice na ko nakabili dun, walang problema. Tinext pa nga ko nung owner after a month para bigyan ako ng spare key. Worth 15k rin yun. I forgot lang yung name, kasi hindi lang 1 yung seller dun.

4. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    why not buy a cheap frugal car for today, i down mo yung naipon mo then you wont need to acquire the whole 600k loan, maybe if you get a fiesta, mga 400k lang utang mo, a little more than 3 years lang tali mo sa company.

i guess what im saying is wag mo ibuhos lahat sa kotse financial mo, 5 years is a long time para matali lalo na kung fast changing ang career mo.
    Last edited by BratPAQ; August 18th, 2012 at 03:25 AM.

5. Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Na-realize na niya siguro yan, kasi puro sedan na yung latest choices niya. Dati puro SUV, MS pa nga eh, nabigla lang siya sa offer.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    When calculating payload, consider the weight of the car as part of the equation.

A small engine will be stressed and not-so-fuel efficient if the payload is too high. But that depends on how small the engine, how big the load, how efficient the transmission and how heavy the car is. A 1.0 engine pulling a lightweight Spark with a manual transmission and four passengers on board is not stressed... As long as you don't go mountain climbing, fuel economy will stay good.

But a 1.3 liter engine carrying just four passengers, put inside the heavier Honda Jazz with an automatic, will not be as efficient. Not that the 1.5 is any more efficient... The new Jazz is a big and heavy car. This is not to say the car can't serve you for the next ten years carrying that load... Because it can... Just that it isn't as fuel efficient as it can be. The only time you have to worry about 1.6 and under engines is when they're connected to rear wheel drive, like in the Avanza 1.3 and the automatic APV.

But this is worry in terms of economy. If you're worried about engine breakage... That's not going to happen with a modern 800cc to 1.4 liter engine unless you're hauling ten passengers up a mountainside in summer heat in crawling traffic. And even then, it would take years of such abuse, daily to make a dent.

I used to have a 1.3 liter full sedan. Beaten to high heaven and driven at up to 180 km/h with four on board. Survived for years with no issue. I've driven test units with 800cc engines. I've driven an 800cc Alto with four on board, and an Eon up a mountain. I drove a 1.2 liter Rio to the airport and picked up three people and 100 kilograms of luggage (about 600-700 kg total). Drove perfectly fine on the Skyway at 120. No problems climbing, whatsoever. The rear end didn't even sag, as Vios rear ends tend to do with a full trunk (and the Vios trunk is smaller) The only time I've ever felt a new car was too underpowered or stressed to carry four passengers was when I drove a 250cc three-wheeler with four doors. But, come on... That was a 16 horsepower engine...

When people say less than 1.8 is not enough, it just means they're impatient and want a faster car.

-

In terms of comfort... Absolute minimum for four people. Alto. Absolute minimum that's comfortable? If your rear passengers are girls... typically under 5'3", puwede Eon. These two can get you 13-15 kml in traffic with a full load... And 25 kml on the highway. If they're medium height guys, a Picanto or Spark 1.0 would do. About 10-11 in mixed traffic, just 15s on the highway for the Picanto... But I'm hearing 20 is possible with the Spark 1.0 MT. They're heavier than the Eon, which is why they're not as efficient. If they're tall guys, you're looking at City, Accent or Rio level. The Fiesta, Mazda2 and Vios all have smallish back seats. Typically 1.3 to 1.4 liter variants will do around 8-10 in traffic... With automatics, worse.

Rio 1.2 is least engine in the most car. Fuel economy is decent when going straight, but suffers in traffic, where it's only as good as the 1.4s and 1.5s. This is because it's heavy, but so far, it's the best car I've driven brand new for under 600k bucks. Bar none. Don't get the 1.4 AT. Sluggish 4-speed and economy is just so-so. About on par with 1.6 AT competitors... Actually, I think the Fiesta 1.6 AT might be more efficient.
    Last edited by niky; August 18th, 2012 at 09:22 AM.

7. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Suzuki SX4 nga. Or Ford Escape.

Yung SX4 maluwag naman. Yung Escape sarap dalhin niyan, comfortable talaga.

Yung City mababa pa yan. Nag-bottom out ako sa humps kapag full-house yung kotse.

8. Join Date
    Aug 2012
    *Niky: Thanks for the explanation. Really helped.

Thanks all. Kaya na siguro 1.4 and so sakin.

For the financials, I'm actually thinking of taking the monthly payments from the "parent tax". Masama na kung masama ako, pero makikinabang din nmn cla e (Kung d cla pumayag d ako bibili). So I'm not thinking much about the loan since my current lifestyle and financials won't be affected (I'm actually planning to put more in monthly to pay the loan in 3yrs). Ung money down lang being taken from my misc funds iniisip ko, and how much is enough.

Well nagchecheck ako ng pre-owned right now; acquired assets, private sellers, etc. And those prices are very tempting and is making me rethink buying brand new. 2011 Everest under 900k and under 10k on the odo and even cheaper sedans...

And they don't even look liked banged up or flooded. Looks like from people who seriously loved their cars and just can't afford the monthly.

Yep, I'll probably go 2nd hand na no older than 2008 and is under 900k around 800k-ish nalang.

9. Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Sa lahat ng nagsuggest ng SX4, salamat =)

Did no expect such a big car in such a small package. Went to SM North for the cyberzone sale, nakita ko naka display ung SX4, Fiesta and Altis. Tried the Fiesta, crap ang sikip, ang hirap makalabas. Went to the SX4, did not expect it to be that huge inside. Perfect for my use cases, ok ung price, got the ride height and clearance... Mukhang sold na ako dito. I'll do a very thorough check the next time I went to the suzuki dealer and try to haggle a bit, probably a test drive. Pero mostly I'm sold.

Nabasa ko ung SX4 dati pero nung tinitignan ko ung size nya sa pics, prang ang liit. When I see it in person maliit padin tingin ko, pero nung triny ko sakyan wow!

10. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Diyan ka na. Hirap bumili ng 2nd hand ngayon dami nabaha.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Weird queston...