New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Patrol? Loss of power. Stemming from various sources including a head gasket failure, engine sensors, etc.

No idea on the FC. I mostly use it for city errands. But performance and handling is good when out on the open road. Feels like a very expensive Euro sedan. Also got ours as a used unit at a good price. Previous owner was fed up with expensive dealership maintenance.

At least now there are third party shops catering to Volvo.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

Volvos can be perceived as hard to mantain, but there are some parts interchangeable with models from other brands, including Ford and Mazda for example. After all, the 850 is still one of the most reliable cars from its time.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by cripple_rooster View Post
    Volvos can be perceived as hard to mantain, but there are some parts interchangeable with models from other brands, including Ford and Mazda for example. After all, the 850 is still one of the most reliable cars from its time.
    Maybe 04 S40 models with current local Mazda 3's and Ford Focus. But definitely not those boxy 850s nor S70s. These were original swede designed models prior to Ford's ownership (and now defunct-ed partnership) of Volvo.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Mitsu parts can fit the earlier Volvo S40's also.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by OTEP View Post
    Mitsu parts can fit the earlier Volvo S40's also.
    Yup, shares with Carisma. Their Euro midsizer. I think it's suspension is same with Lancer, although the Lancer is shorter (the Carisma is Altima sized. Somewhere between the Sentra and Cefiro = Mirage->Carisma->Galant), it's a multilink set up.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    On a side note, Volvo cordoned off some select parking slots at the Eastwood mall specially only for Volvo cars. I think they got 30 or 40 slots but i only saw just 1 850 parked to the dismay of other cars that couldnt find any parking space.

7. Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Thanks guys! For a moment there I thought I was in the Volvo haters club forum hehe.

Anyway, 97 Model 850 EST A/T, bought it at the mid 200K range, the Lambda light is lighting up and the speedometer isn't working so I need to have those checked, hopefully the oxygen sensor is just fouled up, leather dash cover at the passenger side is bubbling as well. Other than that I still have the new girlfriend high, can't believe this baby is finally mine, wohoo!

The guy I bought this from showed off his 850 Turbo but he wasn't selling it. Holy sh*t call me a 850 Turbo newbie but that thing could fly! It could probably beat most souped up Hondas out there, I could feel the "falling roller coaster" feeling in my stomach as it accelerated. Wow, I thought it was all about the boxy look and safety but I didn't know the turbo had that much power.

Anyway, next step is to bring the 850 I got to a Volvo mechanic to give it a general check up, maybe have the oil changed and have the brake pads inspected if they're still thick enough. Yeah I know, don't bring it to Viking, I've heard there are some former Viking mechanics out there who started their own shops.

Hmm, what else? It came with 18 inch rims, I don't know if I'm just a newbie but they sometimes hit the wheel wells on bumps.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    wow! congrats! post pics. 850 in 18s must be damn good looking.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2012
    i have a 97 gle its been with us for 10 years... lamig ng aircon hehe since taga baguio pa ako medyo hirap ako mag source ng parts..... matibay ang volvo almost 200k na natakbo ng sa amin pero ngyon medyo di na siya masyado nagagamit kase lumalabas na mga sakit nya since wala pa ako time ibaba sya ng manila itinabe ko muna sya sa garahe

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    The abs on ours was lit but it was just a rear wheel sensor error. The speedo and odo are prone to failure because of the plastic gear in the cluster, but you can still check actual mileage when you plug it in the diagnostic computer.

I think volvospeed.com is a food 850 resource.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Volvo 850 Mid 90s