New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Because the base model of the Toyota Vios is cheap and therefore suitable for a taxi business. Same idea with the Hyundai Accent and Kia Rio.

Hondas are never used as taxi cabs because Honda doesn't allow it. It's because Hondas are more expensive to purchase and to maintain which is why it is not an option for operators.

2. Join Date
    Apr 2013
    matagal na yan. nung 90s pa bigbody corolla vs honda ek pa debate na yan. pag corolla pangit pang taxi. pag honda wow astig vtec. pero tingnan mo ngayon, tanungin mo mga may ari ng civic vs corolla kung sino malaki na ang ginastos sa latero. hehe. yung honda city din ng 90s tawag nga nila ngayon honda sisi. haha.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    I find no proof that cars used in taxis are more reliable than the rest. Have you seen the motor pool in taxi yards? Old and new taxis, wheels/axles/suspension parts off or engine/transmission removed, all being serviced. Absolutely any car used as a taxi ends up in a state of accelerated wear. You might see these taxis still roaming the streets and think, "ang tibay nito at buhay pa", but that's a misconception. Have you ever thought of what the real state that particular taxi is actually in from a car enthusiast's point of view? Typical would be, rattles left, right, front and rear, a gasoline/LPG engine that's almost sounds like it's a Diesel, half the electrics not working, and having a steering wheel response of a jeepney, among others.

Understand that keeping it in running condition is different from keeping it in tip-top shape. The former costs very little to attain and this where taxi companies operate to get the most profit. They have in-house mechanics and use non-OEM replacement parts almost exclusively. They tend to ignore rattles, shakes, weird noises and worn down parts. For as long as it's running and earning money, they're fine. The latter is a more expensive proposition and is usually typical of an enthusiast taking the time to bring their car to a good mechanic or casa, giving his/her ride some TLC.

Why Hondas are not a popular choice for a taxi fleet is primarily due to economics. They simply are more expensive to buy and maintain (whether artificially inflated or their production costs are actually higher). Then of course, there's the ominous 'rule' that Honda will not honor warranties or even service the vehicle if it was used as a taxi. Whatever Honda was thinking why they decided not to compete in the PUV sector is anyone's guess. But if you ask me, I'd say that they wanted to create a brand distinction that keeps them in people's minds.

To close, we each have our own "feel good" possessions. For me as of the moment, as dictated by my means, my feel-good car just happens to be one made by them. But who's to say that will never change?
    Last edited by oj88; June 23rd, 2015 at 04:17 PM.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2009
    aray kupoo...

kanya kanyang trip lang yan..at kanya kanyang komportable pag dating sa saksakyan..

sa akin lang kasi ang honda mas kumportable ako at mga sakay ko kasi maluwang ang space sa loob.mapa driver seat man or pasenger seat.pati ang back seat komportable din sila kahit mag apat pa sila nag kakasya,,kaya mahal kopa rin si honda ko kahit na 19 years old na siya.

wala naman sa kung ano sasakyan mo.ang mabuti may sarili kang sasakyan na pwede mong dahil kahit saan,hindi ka nang hihiram

5. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    They have Honda taxis here in the US.

and Canada:
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; June 24th, 2015 at 08:58 AM.

6. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Heard some feedback before from at least one taxi operator, that their accent crdi's were becoming problematic to maintain as a taxi, versus their Toyotas - ( Vios or Altis ). Haven't really tried to observe yet if there are less accent crdi taxis now. Anyone has further info on how the accent crdi taxis are fairing to their toyota counterparts?

7. Join Date
    Jan 2014
    I used to own Honda Civic RS dimension, sarap pormahan kasi ng mga Honda.. And now we have a 2010 vios... I dont care kung taxi ang image ng vios... Basta nasa thinking/confidence level lang ng may ari yun, 17" rims plus body kits, belta/mesh grill astig na ng vios!

8. Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Autobeat View Post
    Heard some feedback before from at least one taxi operator, that their accent crdi's were becoming problematic to maintain as a taxi, versus their Toyotas - ( Vios or Altis ). Haven't really tried to observe yet if there are less accent crdi taxis now. Anyone has further info on how the accent crdi taxis are fairing to their toyota counterparts?
    Mahilig sa tipid maintenance mga taxi operators. Di pwede sa accent yun. Dahil diesel siya mas maalaga dapat sa PMS yan. And also syemptr it's a turbo diesel engine. Yung mga drivers they do not cool down the turbo. They just start and drive then park pagkatpos duty without idling the engine. What's worse is irerebolusyon pa bago patayin ang makina

9. Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    I find no proof that cars used in taxis are more reliable than the rest.
    More reliable means less maintenance and repair costs and less downtime which means more profit for the operator. Even if parts are cheap but gets repaired often that is still less profit for the operator. My take is that hondas though reliable are not used as taxi due to acquisition cost. Some operators tried hyundai and kia due to low acquisition cost, but then are going back to toyota, i wonder why?

10. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    For me I would go with the Vios anytime compared to the City, meron kami sa office dati na 1st gen City, during the first few years it was ok except that the comparable Corolla bigbody and lovelife had way better riding comfort. Pero nung naluma na, mga 4 years old I think, dumating na ang panahon na magpalit ng mga pang ilalim (steering and suspension parts) at doon ko inayawan ang Honda kasi ang hirap humanap ng parts sa labas which is given naman talaga pero ang pinakamalala doon eh yung hindi pwede palitan yung ball joint itself, kelangan buong lower suspension arm assembly na naka built in yung ball joint at hindi pwedeng tanggalin. Isa pang naging problema namin yung CV Joint, naka 4 na pabalikbalik kami sa auto supply bago nakakuha ng tama. Sa Toyota, Mitsubishi o kahit pa Nissan hindi kami nagkaproblema ng ganyan. Buti na lang these days puro Toyota lang ang fleet namin sa work, hindi na ako nahihirapan sa pyesa masyado.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast