New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    May 2006
    Checking 2009 and up models. 2008 pwede na din.
    Main concern is comfort for 7 or 8, fuel efficiency and durability.
    Main function is weekend/out of town family/extended family use.
    Any issues for both that are deal breakers?
    And would you prefer MT or AT for both options?
    Although mas mahal ang Carnival when brand new, depreciated na sya by more than 50% so almost same na lang ang cost ng dalawang ito sa used car market.
    Alin ang pipiliin nyo sa dalawang ito? Anong variant? Bakit?

2. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    the innova.
    spare parts and repair should be easier, as toyota has a considerably wider "sphere of influence" than kia.
    also, i like to think the innova is more durable.
    which variant? the most you can afford, except the V (it's one seat less)..

the carnival is nice.. lower step height, and wider passenger space. but... it's still korean. i still think the japanese make better (i.e., more reliable) cars..

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    you can't go wrong with both, but i would go for the innova.
    why?

a. higher resale
    b. availability of parts.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by shok View Post
    Checking 2009 and up models. 2008 pwede na din.
    Main concern is comfort for 7 or 8, fuel efficiency and durability.
    Main function is weekend/out of town family/extended family use.
    Any issues for both that are deal breakers?
    And would you prefer MT or AT for both options?
    Although mas mahal ang Carnival when brand new, depreciated na sya by more than 50% so almost same na lang ang cost ng dalawang ito sa used car market.
    Alin ang pipiliin nyo sa dalawang ito? Anong variant? Bakit?
    ill pick the carnival anytime. the passengers comfort for 8 people on out of town trips is superb compare to innova. its has more space for luggages.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2014
    These to vehicles are nice family vehicle
    go for toyota innova]
    since more rugged
    higher ground clearance
    spare parts are easy to find
    get The G variant
    since its a used one

Kia carnival
    spacious than the innova
    lower ground clearance
    easier acces in the rear door in the tight places
    because of the sliding door
    I think it has auto sliding door
    powerful engine
    It's sometimes called the Poor man's Town and country

6. Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Carnival. More comfortable and powerful than innova. Mas comfotable rin ang 8 passengers.

Mas mahal ang brand new ng carnival pero same price na lang sila sa used market. Mas sulit ang presyong babayaran in my opinion

7. Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Based on your criteria, (second hand affordability, comfort, durability, weekends only use for long drives, fuel efficiency), I'd go for the Carnival LWB. Why?

- Ride is far more comfortable than the innova
    - Seats and passenger seat positions/spacing are far more comfortable than the innova especially on the third row
    - Luggage space for a fully packed vehicle far greater than the innova
    - Can climb far better than the Innova including when fully packed
    - Only the SWB has the MT if I'm not mistaken
    - Good fuel efficiency for its carrying capacity

The good things that the Innova have over the Carnival
    - fuel efficiency during bumper to bumper traffic, but again you're using it on weekends for long hauls
    - parts are cheaper and more abundant (although I never had problems with Korean parts and consumables because of Goodgear Pasay)
    - Higher ground clearance for flood-fording which I don't think is applicable for your intended use
    - Resale value because of the Pinoy Toyota-Honda-Isuzu mentality

For me, the Carnival is not even comparable to the Innova. Based on my own experience, it can be closely compared to a Toyota Sienna if the latter came in a turbodiesel. Even the Toyota Previa can't compare with the Carnival overall.

8. Join Date
    May 2006
    Thanks for all your insights. Di pa naman immediate, but admittedly, being a toyota family with 10 of 11 cars owned or driven within our family since year 2000 being a toyota, a used carnival is really an interesting proposition because. it has Previa like features and another is that it's already depreciated. The only thing going against it is the Kia badge, that I have to sell to the family since one thing were planning on also is a used Hiace Grandia GL, although prices are still quite high for 2008 and up models.

For the SWB version, how does it compare with the innova in terms of luggage space at the back of the 3rd row?
    Ok sana ang innova but like everyone, it sucks kung out of town kasi ang liit ng space for bags and luggage.
    SWB Carnivals naman are cheaper than LWB but loses the power sliding doors and rear doors na mas ok actually because for a > 5 year old car, you really don't want those things failing on you. Yun lang, mas maliit ang space sa likod.
    Meron bang LWB na walang power doors?

9. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    if you really like the carnival, you don't have to sell it to your family.
    go buy it, and your family will run to it and claim ownership to their favorite seat..
    heh heh.

one reason why i don't have a carnival, is it's too large for my neighborhood..
    another reason is... it's korean (for whatever real or imagined disadvantages that may imply).

my colleague bought the (2nd generation?) carnival 'way back in the 90s.... 'sold it after a few months, because it was spending more time in the fixit shop than in his garage.. i hope build quality has improved since..

10. Join Date
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    it's korean (for whatever real or imagined disadvantages that may imply).

.. i hope build quality has improved since..
    This sums it up for the Carnival...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast