New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by shok View Post
    This sums it up for the Carnival...
    build quality for korean cars is already at par with japanese cars.

hyundai-kia group is already the 5th largest automaker in the world.

The top 10 largest automakers in the world | Driving

2. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by valskie01 View Post
    build quality for korean cars is already at par with japanese cars.

hyundai-kia group is already the 5th largest automaker in the world.

The top 10 largest automakers in the world | Driving
    part of the joys (and rigors!) of car ownership, is the service experience.
    and my colleagues with korean cars, are full of unbelievable, sometimes comical, horror stories they have personally experienced from the casa..

i mean.. the cars may be mechanically acceptable, superb even.. but the people behind the product...

3. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    and my colleagues with korean cars, are full of unbelievable, sometimes comical, horror stories they have personally experienced from the casa..

i mean.. the cars may be mechanically acceptable, superb even.. but the people behind the product...
    every car brand including those japanese cars have its horror stories from their respective casa/dealership in the philippines
    thats why after one year of ownership i opt to do the pms outside casa.

4. Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Kahit pa japanese brand, bulok pa rin ang casa. Marami naman nang korean parts outside the casa

5. Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by dct View Post
    Kahit pa japanese brand, bulok pa rin ang casa. Marami naman nang korean parts outside the casa
    not considering auto racism, hands down the carnival is the more bang for the buck choice for that 2nd hand price. since 2nd hand na rin naman, i think it would be much better to get service outside the casa anyway. test drive and ride both (as a passenger) and you will surely notice the difference.

6. Join Date
    Sep 2013
    This sums it up for the Carnival...
    If we still live in the 90's, yes this is applicable. But post 2004, the ball game has already changed. Kaya nga ang kapal na ng mukha mag presyo ng Hyundai and Kia.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    The 2008 Carnival has improved a lot vs the late 90s/ early 00s Carnival.

If they were both brand new, I'd go for the Carnival. Comfort, Space, Power. Indeed a poor man's Town and Country. Vs. an Innova that's a lot more utilitarian.

That being said, since you're buying used -- something in the 4-5 year old neighborhood -- I might be leaning toward the Innova, depending on the condition of the units you can find.

Our 2007 Innova G seems to have aged better than our 2009 Carnival LX. Of course, driver and user factor are always there, but the more utilitarian Innova feels more solid than the Carnival at this point in time.

8. Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post

Casa-wise, I'll have to agree with this although this is not confined to just Korean cars.

I have owned a Toyota, Nissan, Daihatsu, Mitsu and Mazda in the past but the existence of a shop in Pasay named Goodgear made me a happy Korean car owner. Hindi na ako umasa sa 5-year warranty knowing how HARI handles its after-sales. Been doing my PMS either in my garage or in Goodgear and all parts have been purchased from the latter. They have both original and replacements and even the originals don't command rip-off prices if bought there.

Same thing when I had the Toyota. Goodbye Toyota Cubao after I have used all the free service coupons (for 1000 and 5000kms lang). Same PMS scenario but I had a different parts shop which is NGK Banawe (owned by same owner of Toyota Quezon Avenue), sometimes Toyorama Banawe, sometimes New Denso in Araneta.

To the TS:

Try test-driving some units that are for sale. After that, have the owner or someone else drive you around and sit in the rear passenger area, both in the second and third rows. Do it for both the Carnival and the Innova. Then tell us which one blew you away.

9. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Checking 2009 and up models. 2008 pwede na din.
    Main concern is comfort for 7 or 8, fuel efficiency and durability.
    Main function is weekend/out of town family/extended family use.
    Any issues for both that are deal breakers?
    And would you prefer MT or AT for both options?
    Although mas mahal ang Carnival when brand new, depreciated na sya by more than 50% so almost same na lang ang cost ng dalawang ito sa used car market.
    Alin ang pipiliin nyo sa dalawang ito? Anong variant? Bakit?
    Comfort for 7 or 8? Yun palang Carnival na. The Innova may be able to seat 8, but the ones at the 3rd row would be quite uncomfortable after awhile. The Carnival offers ample space for 8 full sized adults and a bigger cargo space. Being a unibody vehicle also means superior handling and ride comfort as compared to the Innova

My personal preference would be manual for long drives and automatic for city driving. So, since you will mostly be using this for out of town trips, I'd suggest you go with the manual and maximize it's edges in performance and fuel efficiency. Now, imagine the 160hp Carnival with a manual tranny! :devil:

In terms of safety, the Carnival holds a 5 star crash rating with the US NHTSA, and is generally well received in first world countries as a competent people mover, even against excellent minivans like the Odyssey, Sienna and Town&Country. There have also been no major issues, as far as I know.

The Innova would definitely have better fuel efficiency, especially in city driving, what with the big difference in displacement and power output. I'd also be more confident driving an Innova through floods and rough roads. Spare parts should also be more widely and readily available.

For your purposes, I'd go with the Carnival SWB M/T. That is, unless you will be needing lots of luggage space wherein the LWB variant will be required.
    Last edited by GTi; October 14th, 2014 at 08:32 PM.

10. Join Date
    May 2005
    i bought a brandnew inova G manual in 2005 sold it in 2008 and bought a brandnew kia carnival lx swb manual in 2008. My wife and i have 4 teenager kids. I had drove the innova to pagudpud and baguio. I had drove the kia carnival to camsur and baguio and we are from san fernando pampanga. Both are good family vehicles, easy to drive and maintain. Maintenance cost are comparable if under warranty ,but i would buy the parts and have it serviced outside casa afte warranty. The main advantage of Toyota is the brand recognition and value. I took a gamble shifting to kia carnival. The reason for the shift is my teenager kids grew up fast and the space for the innova became a problem. On long roadtrips there would be minimal trunk space for personal belongings. In the carnival we removed the middle seat in the second row since we need only 6 seats and used the space for access to 3rd row and additional luggage space. In the carnival my kids were more comfortable in long roadtrips because the seats can semirecline and the legroom was not crampy. The kia is also about a half foot wider than innova. The aircon vents also located top of each seat just like in an airplane. The kia has a more carlike ride with easier ingress/egress on the rear seats because of the wide sliding doors . In driving to areas like baguio sometimes i had a problem climbing steep slopes which i did not experience with the carnival. one thing i appreciated in the carnival is its ability to turn into "pick up" with a covered cargo area one you removed all the 5 rear seats. They are easy to remove but quite heavy to carry around. I was able to load a 3 seater heavy wood garden bench once. This feature proved very useful to me when i move some furniture or appliances around and i didn't have to borrow a pickup for this. I have been keeping the carnival for 6 years mostly for weekend family outings/long tips and have not had a problem except for minor repair for alternator and master clutch replacement, I used the innova 4 years (45000 kms) and the carnival for 6 years (63000 kms). I thought of replacing it because of its age but since it still fits perfectly for my family use , i decided to maintain it. It's a win/win option for both vehicles. At the end ot the day you will pick the vehicle that would perfectly fit to your family and personal needs.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12