New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    May 2010
    My adviser in our school publication have been asking me what car is good for him, since his family is planning to sell their 1999 Toyota Revo (2nd hand) for 200k and he plans on getting his own car for the daily commute with the following factors:
    -Fuel Efficiency (no carburetors)
    -Parts availability
    -Must be stick shift (MT)
    -Good for daily use (commutes to work, fetching his sister in school, trips to the supermarket, etc)
    -Must fit the budget
    -Power features and extra featrures (i.e airbags) are much welcome

Here are some choices that i even recommend for him:
    1. Toyota Corolla GLi (big body)
    2. Mitsubishi Lancer GLI/GLXi (either itlog or Pizza early model)
    3. Nissan Sentra Super Saloon/EX Saloon (either B13/B14)
    4. Honda Civic ESi (EG)
    5. Mazda Familia -GLi (or top model)

Note - he does not want a Ford Lynx (1st) or Proton Wira.

I'm asking for advise since he might be purchasing next year, and any good cars for him?? Thanks a lot.

2. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by myk384 View Post
    My adviser in our school publication have been asking me what car is good for him, since his family is planning to sell their 1999 Toyota Revo (2nd hand) for 200k and he plans on getting his own car for the daily commute with the following factors:
    -Fuel Efficiency (no carburetors)
    -Parts availability
    -Must be stick shift (MT)
    -Good for daily use (commutes to work, fetching his sister in school, trips to the supermarket, etc)
    -Must fit the budget
    -Power features and extra featrures (i.e airbags) are much welcome

Here are some choices that i even recommend for him:
    1. Toyota Corolla GLi (big body)
    2. Mitsubishi Lancer GLI/GLXi (either itlog or Pizza early model)
    3. Nissan Sentra Super Saloon/EX Saloon (either B13/B14)
    4. Honda Civic ESi (EG)
    5. Mazda Familia -GLi (or top model)

Note - he does not want a Ford Lynx (1st) or Proton Wira.

I'm asking for advise since he might be purchasing next year, and any good cars for him?? Thanks a lot.
    For the money, you get a very old AE101 Corolla GLi as compared to the others in its class due to its ridiculously high resale value. As for the Lancer, get the newer pizza version and look for the highest trim you can find. The B14 Sentra is nice and much more spacious than the cramped B13 and it offers stuff like ABS and driver's airbag in the higher variants which are also absent in its competitors. The Civic ESi is old... too old compared to the others and its engine (non-VTEC 1.5L) is rather weak as compared to the others mentioned. As for the Mazda... its not really my type and the dwindling numbers of these on the roads doesn't seem to be saying a good thing about its reliability...

3. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    He's missing a lot for not including the Lynx. especially the 99-00 Ghia variant which is bang on his budget.

4. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Hands down, Toyota Corolla GLi.

I have nothing but good things to say about this car. Reliability, Availability of parts, Practicality, Ease of Maintainance. This car model made me a Toyota fan. If your adviser doesn't mind driving a model that's commonly used for taxis then I highly recommend the GLi. And besides di naman tina taxi and Gli My car is now at 180k+ km and ZERO problems with the engine. Religious 5k change oil and this car will serve you well.

Why is your adviser selling his 1999 Revo? Isn't that a good model din?

5. Join Date
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Cathy_for_you View Post
    Hands down, Toyota Corolla GLi.

I have nothing but good things to say about this car. Reliability, Availability of parts, Practicality, Ease of Maintainance. This car model made me a Toyota fan. If your adviser doesn't mind driving a model that's commonly used for taxis then I highly recommend the GLi. And besides di naman tina taxi and Gli My car is now at 180k+ km and ZERO problems with the engine. Religious 5k change oil and this car will serve you well.

Why is your adviser selling his 1999 Revo? Isn't that a good model din?
    The car has been seldomly used since his mom doesnt have a drivers license the his dad (who has one) is an OFW.

6. Join Date
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by basti08 View Post
    He's missing a lot for not including the Lynx. especially the 99-00 Ghia variant which is bang on his budget.
    He would look like an old man when he drives one (he's in his 20's) plus the overheating issues i hear makes me worry...

7. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    I've never heard of such issues with the Lynx. I find it to be a nice car. Elegant design, kitted to the roof, powerful engine, good ride. Only downside with this car, I hear, is the FC which doesn't seem to be that good. As for the GLi, it may be a good car but I doubt you'd be able to find one that's younger than the Revo for less than two hundred thousand bucks. I'd push for a Civic VTEC if he can find one. But if not then I believe the B14 Sentra would do as its the only youthful one in the lot besides the Civic. For the Sentra, look for the Super Touring or GTS variant for the sportiest looks and the most features. You may also opt to change the headlights to multireflectors for good measure. BTW, since he'd be selling the Revo for 200k (a bit low don't you think? what year and variant is it? 250-300k would be more appropriate) won't he be adding a bit more to the budget?

8. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    To each his own nga talaga. I find the Lynx rather more elegant and much decent than the GLi. It has more safety and convenience features too. Manual Lynx should consume more or less same as the GLi.

9. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    from the choices, ill go for the corolla. sa 200k budget kaya naman love life na gli. tiyagaan lang sa hanap.

10. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    sorry to comment pero lahat nung choices eh luma na... yung ford lynx lang siguro yung ka level ng price pero modelo... kung ako man yung may revo na 1999 model hindi ko na lang papalitan given the choices..

mas ok na yung revo kesa mag kotse.. lalo na yung lovelife ng corolla.. ang sikip nyan sa likod

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Used car for 200k or below