New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Would anyone of you please give me a comparison between a 2007 Hiace Commuter and the Grandia. The van is to be converted into an ambulance. Doc Otep gave me an idea. Please do include comparisons as to accessories, power, etc.. I know Doc Otep would come out with some since he drives a Grandia ambulance.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    try looking at this url for a head to head comparo of features:
    http://www.motioncars.com/carchart/h...yota_hiace.htm

Personally, I'd go for the Grandia, if it's within budget. You can stuff a lot more life-saving stuff in it than in the Commuter (or the Starex PRO, for that matter). If it's not within budget, I'd try considering the Starex PRO against the Commuter. It might not have the 20+ horses of the D-4D engine, but then how fast need an ambulance be?
    Last edited by IMm29; May 30th, 2007 at 12:35 PM.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    You never know... I find the extra power of the Commuter... invigorating...

It's kinda a shame to pay all that extra cash for a few extra square feet of floor-space. Like Otep has said, the Commuter serves as their bigger Japanese ambulance, as the Urvan is narrower... now consider that the Grandia is bigger still...

I've driven the Commuter in the city... the handling and power are great (seriously... love the driving), but it's already a big vehicle... I found myself using the rear view mirrors to clear turns because, half the time, I wasn't sure I'd make it without "sabit"... this is in contrast to the Mazda E2000 I drove before it, which is longer but narrower and easier to place.

The Grandia would be wider and longer, which is good for working space, but for an ambulance that needs to get in and out of places quickly, it might be a liability.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I don't know about the driving experience, but the ride on the Commuter I was on months back was jarring. Anyhow, extra power ain't bad. It's unfortunate that it's costing a lot tho.
    Last edited by IMm29; May 30th, 2007 at 05:42 PM.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    I suppose it would be, if unloaded. It's probably the same case as in the Fortuner, where the ultra-stiff set-up gives it good handling and carrying capability, offset by a poor ride.

And just like the Fortuner, it doesn't feel that bad from the driver's seat.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Um, just for clarification, I ride a 2005 Toyota Hiace GL Grandia ambulance. Technically, I'm not really supposed to drive it as that is the job of the transport officer but I do get to drive it a bit when the boss is not looking or when we don't have any clients/patients on board.

The drivetrain (engine, transmission) between the Commuter and Grandia are the same. The Grandia is a bit taller and wider.

The Grandia is:
    *Power door locks and windows
    *Full interior trim (the only interior bare metal you will see is on the tailgate surround)
    *Tachometer
    *Extra cubby hole in the dashboard
    *Chrome front grille, side mirrors, door handles
    *Two-tone paint scheme
    *Chrome Toyota logo surrounds on the wheelcovers
    *Front center console instead of center seat
    *ABS/SRS
    *Rear wash wipe
    *Third brake lamp

As for power, even the 70bhp Urvans can do 100kph on city streets with a full patient load.

It might be due to the gearing, but the Grandia does feel light on its feet. There's also the typical whine from the turbo as it spools up.

Some Grandia details:
    *The air filter is located beneath the right headlamp. It uses a washable type element (the washing instructions are printed on the filter itself).
    *There is a provision for a second battery behind the passenger seat in case you want to run a dual battery set up (dual battery kits are available from off-road shops).
    *The front 'hood' is a good idea. It houses the coolant, brake fluid, a/c charge lines. But I still prefer having an actual hood and actually seeing the engine underneath it like on the Starex units.
    *The sliding door can be 'locked' in the open position which can be useful for an ambulance.
    Last edited by OTEP; May 31st, 2007 at 03:56 PM. Reason: Medical Emergency

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

7. Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Nakalimutan mo na may Dual Airbags at ABS ang GL Grandia..Iba rin ang wheel covers nya(prone sa nakaw to kaya recommended na bumili ng alloy wheels na tulad sa Super Grandia)...

Ang biggest advantage ng GL Grandia over its competitors ay yung massive width o lapad(as in LAPAD) ng body nya.. No wonder alot of hospitals are converting this one para maging ambulance kahit nasa 1.350-1.450M ang pricetag nya.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Hi Ace Grandia Ambulance:

9. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by OTEP View Post
    Um, just for clarification, I ride a 2005 Toyota Hiace GL Grandia ambulance. Technically, I'm not really supposed to drive it as that is the job of the transport officer but I do get to drive it a bit when the boss is not looking or when we don't have any clients/patients on board.

The drivetrain (engine, transmission) between the Commuter and Grandia are the same. The Grandia is a bit taller and wider.

The Grandia is:
    *Power door locks and windows
    *Full interior trim (the only interior bare metal you will see is on the tailgate surround)
    *Tachometer
    *Extra cubby hole in the dashboard
    *Chrome front grille, side mirrors, door handles
    *Two-tone paint scheme
    *Chrome Toyota logo surrounds on the wheelcovers
    *Front center console instead of center seat
    *ABS/SRS
    *Rear wash wipe
    *Third brake lamp

As for power, even the 70bhp Urvans can do 100kph on city streets with a full patient load.

It might be due to the gearing, but the Grandia does feel light on its feet. There's also the typical whine from the turbo as it spools up.

Some Grandia details:
    *The air filter is located beneath the right headlamp. It uses a washable type element (the washing instructions are printed on the filter itself).
    *There is a provision for a second battery behind the passenger seat in case you want to run a dual battery set up (dual battery kits are available from off-road shops).
    *The front 'hood' is a good idea. It houses the coolant, brake fluid, a/c charge lines. But I still prefer having an actual hood and actually seeing the engine underneath it like on the Starex units.
    *The sliding door can be 'locked' in the open position which can be useful for an ambulance.

Oops, my mistake... thought it was the commuter.

So lots of hospitals like the Grandia, eh? I guess it beats buying American V8 vans...

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Most of our Ford E-series vans are being used to patrol the NLEX at the moment. :D Aeromed has three stations over there. Let's see if the SLEX follows suit.

Lifeline Rescue (formerly Lifeline Arrows) still maintain a fleet of Ford E-vans for use in regular city conductions.

The Grandia still costs a pretty penny. Most of the hospitals I've been to (OsMak, Fatima, etc.) still use the Commuter variant. AFAIK, even Medical City's new ambulance will be a commuter.

Aside from Aeromed, I've yet to see another Grandia Ambulance unit. Maybe I'm just not looking hard enough.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Toyota Hi-ace Commuter vs Grandia