New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2007
    My brother is planning to buy a new ride to replace his Civic '01... my sister-in-law wants a fortuner while my bro likes the tucson. Any advices? Thanks!

2. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Sa pormahan walang sinabi yung Tucson at saka mura naman talaga sya compare to Fortuner 7 seater and Tucson 5 seater. parehong Gas ba ?Resale Value and durability Toyota , But budget wise at least SUV TUCSON Front wheel configuration

3. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    if like nya big SUV mganda fortuner somewhat onti nalang parang nakaexpidition ka na... japan brand pa

kung tucson ksi diba korea made un? it will depend on her need

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Not an apples to oranges comparison, I'm afraid since these 2 cars are in very differenct pricing categories. The Tucson is an entry-level SUV while the Fortuner is classified as a mid-level SUV.

If your brother has the budget for it, then the Fortuner is a no-brainer.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    i suggest you read the thread on the toyota d4d woes and the thread on the fortuner. there were a good many posts there of complaints about the fortuner. also, if ride comfort is a big deal for your brother (and sister!) then the fortuner is not for him. MATAGTAG ang fortuner. if you are a well endowed female (read: malaki ang hinaharap) you would never want to ride on a fortuner, lalo na sa second and third rows. para kang sako ng bigas sa likod ng truck. it is based on a truck/pick up so don't expect a nice car-like ride.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    iba dating pag fortuner

wear & tear quality should also be consider

7. Join Date
    Nov 2007
    I agree it's not exactly apples-to-apples comparison. If your brother really wants a 7-seater, then he should choose Fortuner over the Tucson. But he should also consider the Hyundai Sta Fe, which is the more relevant comparison in the same class. I refer you to the Fort vs Sta Fe threads here.

I had a Fortuner last year, albeit 4x2 D4D diesel. While it looked good and big, honestly, I (and my family) disliked the ride, too bumpy ("matagtag"). But again, the Fortuner never promised car-like ride quality. It's a truck and handles off-road better than other comparable SUV's. And then, there were comments about the D4D engine's being picky about the quality of diesel that got fed to it. I sold it only after 5 months.

I bought a new Kia Sportage and have been very happy about it. I never needed the Fortuner's 7 seats and size/heft anyway. Plus it's 4wd, tiptronic, handles (more responsive, greater hp and torque than the Fort D4D it replaced) and rides better (less matagtag). It's the cousin to the Tucson, but the Sportage has better quality interiors (leather sides and seats), and IMHO had edgier looks about it and I liked the quality of the plastics better (textured vs. the very plain looking one on the Tucson) and for less money, I got to buy a 4x4 (vs. only 4x2 for same money, if not slightly more, for the Tucson).

8. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    The Fortuner rides very much like a pick-up, but at least it's stable at highway speeds. It's got a third row, but it doesn't have that big of an advantage in first and second row space... the Tucson is surprisingly roomy for such a short car... the only big issue with the Tucson is the trunk space isn't much better than in a sedan.

The Tucson we last test drove for our site was a little thumpy at low speeds, but ride quality is still much better. The Tucson also handles much, much better than the Fortuner, and it stops quicker, to boot. The Fort isn't half-bad, though... but the impressive resistance to body roll comes with a price... that infamously harsh ride in the rear.

(yeah, that was a fun test...)

The Tucson has better in-traffic torque, the Fortuner's off-the-line performance is a bit sluggish, but it's got better top-end power on the highway... where the Tucson CRDi gets a bit wheezy. The Tucson CVVT gasoline engine should be better, though... but the CRDi is much more economical.

As for interior quality, not much seperates the two... the Fort has slightly firmer seat foam, but both have silver and beige interiors. The Tucson's looks better, though. The Sportage, I agree, has a much better interior than the other two... though I'm partial to the Tucson's "cute" front end.

As said by others, don't limit yourself to these two. There are a whole lot of trucks in this price range, including the wonderful Santa Fe, the new CR-V (pug ugly to some, but it drives great and it's very economical for a gasoline car...) and others.

Most of the fun in car buying is shopping. Go around to the various dealers, let them know you're serious about buying, and schedule test drives. It's not enough for a car to look good... it has to be something your brother and his wife can live with day-in and day-out for the next few years. ;)
    Last edited by niky; February 8th, 2008 at 04:59 PM.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

9. Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Thanks guys for the great info! I agree di masyadong match yung two choices ng bro ko. I recently bought a Carens Crdi, so medyo impartial ako sa Korean makes now. My bro's other car is a '03 CRV... he is very disappointed with the service of Honda. He is not much of a techie when it comes to cars kaya kelangan ang logical choice in terms of service and convenience, kaya nga gas variant ang hanap niya.
    I already told him about the matagtag problem of the Fort, plus the FC for the VVti is not really good. I suggested the Sta. Fe since he plans to test drive the Tucson, isama na nya yung Sta. Fe.
    Thanks again for your inputs! God bless!

Grabe, galing ng advice ni Sir Niky! Mukhang lalo mahihirapan mag isip yung buyer, pero enjoy yan, yung pagpili ng sasakyan!

Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    Most of the fun in car buying is shopping. Go around to the various dealers, let them know you're serious about buying, and schedule test drives. It's not enough for a car to look good... it has to be something your brother and his wife can live with day-in and day-out for the next few years. ;)
    Well said, here, as well. It's always fun to read these reviews!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Toyota Fortuner VVTi or Hyundai Tucson....