New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Just a survey. What is better, time belt or time chain? They said that time chain is noisier but it could last as long as the engine could run. Time belt is quieter but there's a possibility that it could snap if not checked. Please voice out your opinions. Thanks!

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    durability wise, no question. timing chains. but it could also snap, pero the probability is too low.

3. Join Date
    Nov 2007
    +1 for 1D4LV.

my 190e benz is a timing chain, since my father bought the car we havent yet replace the chain, its a quite noisy din compare to my pregio.

4. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Esnie.com View Post
    +1 for 1D4LV.

my 190e benz is a timing chain, since my father bought the car we havent yet replace the chain, its a quite noisy din compare to my pregio.
    How do you maintain a timing chain from wear and tear? Or is there a way to maintain it? For timing belt, you have to replace it at a certain period or else you'll suffer the consequence if it gets snapped.

5. Join Date
    May 2007
    A timing belt is made of rubber and may be reinforced with braided steel. A timing chain is made of metal.

On most vehicles (not all) if the timing belt (or chain) breaks while the engine is running, it can cause internal damage to the valves (and of course your engine will no longer run). It is best to replace the belt as per instructions, either by age or mileage whichever comes first.

Rubber (even synthetic rubber) breaks down with age, which is why it is recommended to be changed at 8 years.

When changing the timing belt change the cam seals also. If does not make sense to change them later especially when you're in the same vicinity

6. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Para sakin mas maganda kung chain kase mas tumatagal. Basta well lubricated lagi. Yung belt naman hassle kase kailangan pa palitan after you reach a certain milage. Pag minamalas ka pa at interference ang engine mo, pag naputol yan habang tumatakbo yung makina siguradong malaking gastos. Pero kung non interference like most toyotas ok lang kase belt lang masisira.

7. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by JiggeR671 View Post
    Pag minamalas ka pa at interference ang engine mo, pag naputol yan habang tumatakbo yung makina siguradong malaking gastos.
    This happened to our neighbor. She was in the highway when all of a sudden the timing belt of her car got snapped. She said there is no other way to fix it but to overhaul. Yikes!

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by rna800 View Post
    How do you maintain a timing chain from wear and tear? Or is there a way to maintain it? For timing belt, you have to replace it at a certain period or else you'll suffer the consequence if it gets snapped.
    for chains, you would need to have it lubricated and the tensioners adjusted based on recommended intervals.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by rna800 View Post
    This happened to our neighbor. She was in the highway when all of a sudden the timing belt of her car got snapped. She said there is no other way to fix it but to overhaul. Yikes!

happened din to me way way back on my second car (a lancer box).
    laki din ng ginastos ko dahil na deform yung mga valves.

10. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by 1D4LV View Post
    for chains, you would need to have it lubricated and the tensioners adjusted based on recommended intervals.
    I see. At least that's better and cheaper than having it replaced at a certain period. Any lubricants/oil would do or you could just put any as long as it gets lubricated?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Time belt vs time chain