New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by 1D4LV View Post
    happened din to me way way back on my second car (a lancer box).
    laki din ng ginastos ko dahil na deform yung mga valves.
    Did you feel anything wrong with your car prior to this incident or all of a sudden the car just stopped? When it got snapped, was there a loud bang?

2. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    The chains typically use the engine oil for lubrication. Engine oil is critical for most other engine components as well. Some cars have another mechanism for the oil pump (other cars have gears, others are included in the timing chain, while still others have a separate chain drive for it).

The reason timing belts snap sooner than chains is, as mentioned, they're made of rubber with reinforcement mostly in the form of steel (like the drive belts outside the engine). They get brittle as they are used, and remember the tensioner is there to keep the tension up to spec. So in essence, if you open your timing belt covers, you won't "feel" any stretch because that's "masked" by the tensioner. When the belts reach the point of maximum stretch, and coupled with the tensioner and stresses of engine use, they simply snap.

Timing belts are usually maintenance free. Rule of thumb: when buying a car and there's no mention of timing belt replacement, have it replaced alongside drive belts (as well as the tensioner, cam seals, etc) especially if you plan to keep the car for a long time. Same goes with timing chains especially if it's really high mileage.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    As for noise... I can't say that I've noticed timing chain driven engines to be any noisier than timing belt driven engines.

There aren't any valid reasons not to use timing chains, and it's nice to see more and more manufacturers switch.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

4. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    all isuzu engines (diesel) are timing chains diba?

5. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    The Crosswind uses a timing gear, which should, technically, be even more reliable since there are no flexible links to break, but it still needs to be periodically aligned.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by rna800 View Post
    Did you feel anything wrong with your car prior to this incident or all of a sudden the car just stopped? When it got snapped, was there a loud bang?

wala... as in wala. the car just suddenly lost power and stopped.

7. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    mas ok sana ang timing gear, kaya lng maingay pa sa timing chain.. urvan and hilander are timing gears.. proper maintenance lang sa timing belt if ganun ang ride nyo, kelangan lng mas madalas ang maintenance.. same din sa timing chain, paminsan minsan dapat i-check..

8. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by s_quilicot View Post
    all isuzu engines (diesel) are timing chains diba?
    I was scouting for a new pickup and I am getting the dmax so I went to the showroom this afternoon and I asked the agent if it is still using timing belt. He said no, it is already timing gear and strada still use timing belt. I forgot to ask what's the difference between timing gear and timing chain. So guys, could you please me out.hehe

9. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    As for noise... I can't say that I've noticed timing chain driven engines to be any noisier than timing belt driven engines.

There aren't any valid reasons not to use timing chains, and it's nice to see more and more manufacturers switch.
    I asked the agent in Isuzu showroom about the noise of timing gear engines, he said the previous dmax is really noisier compared to the new one since it's already crdi. I haven't heard the engine of the new dmax but my neighbor has a 2005 dmax and the engine is, in my opinion, is kinda noisy.

10. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by 1D4LV View Post
    wala... as in wala. the car just suddenly lost power and stopped.
    Yikes! This is scary! I asked this coz my other car has already reached almost 140k in odometer reading and I haven't replaced its timing belt. I had it checked by Honda and they said that it could still hold but I should replace it as soon as I can. I think I should go to my trusted mechanic tomorrow and have it replaced before this happens to me.hehe

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Time belt vs time chain