New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    With the success of the Vios Cup, maybe a time attack race be organized for most cars available locally. Let's say organizers just use 2013 and 2014 releases, then categorize them into segments (sub-compact, compact, midsize, etc.). That would surely test which car behaves best on the track in stock form.

Can TopGearPH make this happen? Or maybe car magazines already do this kind of testing/race on their own?
    Last edited by Egan101; February 4th, 2014 at 05:52 PM.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    I really wanna test my lowly diesel subcompact on track.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Propose niyo kay boss Vernon. I volunteer to drive.

C! used to compare cars at the track... but logistics is difficult. The cost of renting CIS is now 300k a day.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

4. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    How about organizers get the manufacturers to have active participation? This will surely be a good venue to set bragging rights for the cars they are marketing. If I am the head of the local arm of the more popular car manufacturers, I would surely put something up to prove the cars I am selling are way up there in performance.

5. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    That would be nice... We can get the acceleration and braking times of all the cars in the market! And then we'd see which car handles like a dream, an which car handles like a nightmare. I'd love to see a Crosswind and Adventure slugging it out on the CIS! :hysterical:

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

6. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by GTi View Post
    That would be nice... We can get the acceleration and braking times of all the cars in the market! And then we'd see which car handles like a dream, an which car handles like a nightmare. I'd love to see a Crosswind and Adventure slugging it out on the CIS! :hysterical:

If you were to bet on one, where will you put your money on?

7. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Egan101 View Post
    If you were to bet on one, where will you put your money on?
    Track: Adventure
    Hillclimb: Crosswind

Wonder how fast you can take one through a corner without flipping? :rofl:

8. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Egan101 View Post
    How about organizers get the manufacturers to have active participation? This will surely be a good venue to set bragging rights for the cars they are marketing. If I am the head of the local arm of the more popular car manufacturers, I would surely put something up to prove the cars I am selling are way up there in performance.
    What about those whose cars are not fast? We already get non-participation from some manufacturers for COTY because they don't feel they need the publicity or feel the need to spend on preparing a test unit for the event. And we only do road testing and a very, very limited performance test. A full track test could cost a set of tires, brake pads and a full fluid change, as long as nothing breaks. If something goes wrong... well... remember the Jag whose pedestrian airbag went off when it hit a traffic cone? Or the Honda that flipped over?

Those were the manufacturer's own events. In a time attack, we could control the flow and driving... but we'd need to establish control drivers, because we can't trust manufacturer drivers not to overdrive the cars or go off-track. And the bad publicity of having a car flip over or crash into a wall would be the end of the event.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Maybe a set of standard events that will try to weed out the weakest performing ones. Some cars are not built to be fast but some of them are good road handlers. Maybe something like those comparative tests that Car and Driver does but on the local scene. I love reading those comparison tests, not only in TopGear but all other motoring sites and magazines.

10. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    If we had the budget to do that every month, hell yeah, we'd do it.

What would be nice is if we could get a local version of Consumer Reports. One that had the financial backing to buy its own test vehicles for its fleet (or to at least pay owners to lend their vehicles for evaluation and testing), then judge and operate them for a year to check for issues.

An organization with Consumer Reports level clout would be a big help to consumers and manufacturers alike. A small manufacturer getting the coveted "Recommended" could see a boost in sales... while customers can be warned about issues with subpar cars.

-

Whoever becomes associated with that organization would become persona non grata with some manufacturers... ...but man, would it be a game-changer.