New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Ask ko lang sa inyo ... does it still make sense to get a non-CRDI diesel today? I'm asking lang kasi yung Starex almost 400K ang mahal nung CRDi unit sa non-CRDi. Kaso kung kukuha ka naman ng TCi unit baka naman mapag-iwanan ka na ng panahon at ng service and parts support?

2. Join Date
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by pup2 View Post
    Ask ko lang sa inyo ... does it still make sense to get a non-CRDI diesel today? I'm asking lang kasi yung Starex almost 400K ang mahal nung CRDi unit sa non-CRDi. Kaso kung kukuha ka naman ng TCi unit baka naman mapag-iwanan ka na ng panahon at ng service and parts support?

if you are budget constraint, you can still go for the TCi. looking at the present day brand new adventure (non TCi and Rotary type fuel injection) and pajero field master, it is still using this tried and tested format. also, the 4D56 has been around for some time now- kahit nakapikit ang mekaniko- he can still do fix the engine!

you can worry about this engine going prehistoric by say... uhm... year 2020, presumably! by that time, you would have sold that starex na!

3. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    depende po. ung ibang tci model kasi kahit power lock at side mirror wala :sad:

4. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by lui View Post
    depende po. ung ibang tci model kasi kahit power lock at side mirror wala :sad:

Ugh. Ouch. Salamat, lui. Akala ko kasi pareho lang sila ng trim and features eh.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by pup2 View Post
    Hindi ka naman mapag iiwanan, andami pa nga mercedes na luma dyan na tumatakbo pa at may new old stock parts pa.

6. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Old technology ang TCI. Practical mag TCI kung nasa probinsiya ka dahil maraming nakakaalam magrepair nito.

Kung nasa city ka naman, ok mag CRDI. Available ang support dito sa new technology engines. Matibay ang CRDI basta gumamit lang tayo ng original fuel filters and clean diesel fuel. Medyo sensitive ang CRDI sa fuel quality and "water in fuel".

7. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Aside from the obvious benefits of increased power and torque, does the CRDi really translate into fuel savings?

One can go on about the advantages power wise, but if you end up paying more for the fuel, it defeats the purpose of trying to economize in the first place.

I computed that for a CRDi to recover the higher investment cost over the TCi, one would have to drive for over 12 years or 230,000+km! (this assumes average of 50 km driven per day, or 18,000+ km per year, with TCi averaging 6.5kpl and CRDi 8kpl. The price difference is P300,000 and diesel cost is P38.50/liter).

Can Starex/Grand Starex owners validate these assumptions?

One last thing...the Grand Starex is much heavier than the Gen 3 Starex....expect that the fuel economy will suffer a bit more because of the added weight.

8. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Great calculation GSTM9.

Hyundai should respond to this.

9. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    my opinion, TDIC repair pa lang ay hindi na biro what more yung mga CRDi’s when time comes? Considering that the one who will shoulder or even suffer this are the "would be" 2nd, 3rd and so owners. So if I’m going to look for a pre-owned diesel powered, I would still go for non CRDi’s. Dumating ka man sa situation na medyo major eh hindi ganun kabigat.

10. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    I'd give CRDi five more years siguro before considering its viability for me, knowing the quality of local diesel fuel.

In the meantime, I'm sticking to my 4D56.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
TCi vs CRDi