New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Suzuki Alto Test Drive

With only two hundred units scheduled for the first batch of Altos, and fewer still scheduled for test drive duty, it wasn’t strange that my tester already had 2000 kilometers on the odometer. I was damn lucky to visit my local dealer when the test unit rotated to them, so I decided to make the best of the opportunity.

The Alto’s clean looks are unobjectionable, but seem five years out of date compared to the ultra-modern Chevrolet Spark or Kia Picanto. Not so strange, considering it’s a licensed Indian copy of the Japanese Suzuki Alto, re-badged as a Suzuki for local sale. Uhh… yeah. At least Indian labor makes it cheap.

From the moment you get inside, you're reminded that it's cheap. Plastic, plastic everywhere. Thankfully, there's no tacky vinyl. Space is good front or back, but not both at once. Worse, if the driver's 5'10" or taller, the Alto goes from four-seater to three-seater.

Despite adequate headroom, the low ceiling is decidedly old-school. To compensate, the seats are quite low. Bad for the knees, but at least they’re softer and shapelier than the Spark’s flat, hard perches. All four passengers get adjustable headrests and three point seatbelts. The trunk, though narrow, is deeper than the Picanto’s and much bigger than the Spark’s.

Though the small windshield merits just one double-nozzle sprayer, you get a rear windscreen wiper as standard. Neat! The instrument cluster and controls are familiar economy fare, minus tachometer. Windows and locks are manual, but the Deluxe edition has power front windows. Side mirrors are also manual, but the cabin’s so narrow you don’t even have to unbuckle to reach the right-side mirror lever.

Like most three cylinders, the engine idles like it’s on the edge of choking. It didn’t stall all afternoon, so I guess it’s okay. Even without tint, the AC cools down the cabin quite quickly, despite the ungodly summer heat. The standard CD-Stereo? With just two dash-mounted speakers, I hardly noticed it was on.

Driving ergonomics aren’t particularly good. The 5-speed shifter is quite rubbery, and hits your thigh in first gear. The clutch is stiff and a tad too long. Combined with a short first gear and grabby brakes, it makes parking-lot maneuvers a herky-jerky affair. At least it’s not prone to stalls. The manual steering is pretty heavy, but lightens up once on the move.

Once in traffic, the short gearing actually makes the Alto feel quite lively. Thanks to the miniscule curb weight (750 kgs!), the 47 horses in this sewing machine feel more like 60. Even with two extra passengers, overtaking is easy. Simply slot it into a lower gear and put your foot down. The fuel-injected, multi-valve 800cc 3-pot revs cleanly, with no flat-spots or hesitation. It hauls forward, growling like a rabid dog, pulling you around that sputtering truck in front of you. Once back in lane, the engine settles to a muted hum, the Alto finding its natural pace at around 50-60 km/h. No, it’s not mind-numbingly quick, but it’s not AUV-sluggish.

The lack of power might be more telling at 80-100 km/h, but I never found out, as road conditions didn’t allow it, and the Suzuki people didn’t let me get on the Expressway.

After a few more kilometers, I didn’t really want to. The thin tires (145/70-13) and stiff suspension make the Alto feel darty over ridges and bumps. The slow, vague steering isn’t responsive enough to build confidence at higher speeds, either. Hopefully, the electric steering on the Deluxe is more direct.

Despite these complaints, the Alto rides reasonably well, with no crashing or rattling, even on rough roads. Even at a roaring full throttle, engine noise isn’t intrusive. It’s great for such a cheap car… guess Indian labor isn’t that bad, after all.

For urban use, the Alto does the duty. A cheeky little engine, decent space (for four office-girls, overweight auto-testers need not apply), decent insulation and air-conditioning and great fuel economy make it a decent buy. From initial reports, the Alto can get 15-18 km/l in city use and over 20 on the highway. Not bad for a four-seater. And the three year, 100,000 kilometer warranty matches industry standards.

In some ways, the Alto betters the Chevrolet Spark, despite its crudeness. It makes the 100,000 peso price difference seem rather ludicrous. But it’s still no match for the Kia Picanto, whose superior space, refinement and power make it more than worth the extra money. But if you can’t afford it, the Alto is worth a look.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

2. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Maruti Alto!!! the picanto looks better than the Alto but of course, the Alto looks prettier than the Spark (aka Chery QQ) hahahahahaha. The rear reminds me of the Gen1 Zafira.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Someone should import the "real" Chery QQ. I saw a ton of them in China but didn't have a chance (?) to ride in one. The thing costs 192,000 pesos retail over there! even factoring in duties and shipping, it should still undercut the Alto by quite a bit.

4. Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Yan yung early testdrive unit ng Suzuki Phils ha..Anyway ok naman yung Alto Deluxe...

By the way ok ang review mo!!

5. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    The QQ would be an intriguing buy... it would be nice if the government lowered taxes on Kei cars here, to make pricing better.

Hey, anyone have a Norkis Micra I can test?

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

6. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    nice review niky!

when you testing the new crv?

7. Join Date
    May 2004
    Nice review! Hope you can review the Outlander as well

8. Join Date
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    The QQ would be an intriguing buy... it would be nice if the government lowered taxes on Kei cars here, to make pricing better.

Hey, anyone have a Norkis Micra I can test?
    Mira o yung legacy?

9. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by carlocaraddict View Post
    Maruti Alto!!! the picanto looks better than the Alto but of course, the Alto looks prettier than the Spark (aka Chery QQ) hahahahahaha. The rear reminds me of the Gen1 Zafira.

I agree.Yehey makikita ko na din yan sa MIA.May blind spot ba?

10. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by carlocaraddict View Post

Opps double post.Sorry.
    Last edited by gearspeed; March 26th, 2007 at 01:29 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Suzuki Alto Test Drive