New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Im planning to buy a compact car for everyday use. Please help me out guys which is the best among the 3 brands in terms of fuel efficiency and maintenance cost...TIA

2. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    alto. kung cheapness lang at FC

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Among your choices, I'll go for the Hyundai Getz. Niky said that the Getz 1.1 is the more bang for the buck choice, although personally I'll go for the CRDi variant for its massive amounts of torque.

The Suzuki Alto is an interesting choice also... more so if you are on a tight budget.

bigbigcar.com Review: Ford Everest XLS 2.5 TDCi 4x2

4. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    fc and maintenance cost alto na panalo. 3cyl sya. 3 spark plug lang.

5. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    i like the picanto more, its sportier and good fc also.

6. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    gusto ko rin malaman ito.

but my choices are getz,swift and picanto at jazz.

habol ko ay comfort, fuel efficiency, at performance. Uung tipong anong sasakyan ang best in terms of these.

7. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    go for the getz.. more value for your money.

8. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Hi guys! newbie here. Am also in the market for a new car with attention being paid to car's price, FC and comfort. I test drove the Picanto, Getz, Chevy Aveo, and sat in the Toyota Avanza, Vios and Honda City. My guts tell me to choose between the Toyotas and the City (unfortunately the Honda dealer I went to told me that the current Jazz is being phased out as an all new Jazz model will be introduced by Q4 this year) but these cars all have a high initial cash layout cost - around 150,000 each. Therefore I resigned to looking at the more affordable alternatives. The facelifted Picanto I test drove was a surprise, it had more than enough umfff for the 3 passengers I brought along with me and the sales associate to whizz past other cars in EDSA. Handling was very satisfactory and so was the braking. The AC was more than adequate and I liked the amber colored backlighting of the instrument panel - reminded me of a Bimmer. The cabin finishing including the central console however was less than satisfactory, as apparently we do not get the European spec models here. Lots of plastic, rear seat does not split 60/40. No mags, only set of steel wheels with hubcap (nice looking caps though).
    The Getz 1.1 MT at first glance seemed more car for the money; it was priced below the Picanto and the cabin seemed like it belonged to a car with a much higher sticker price. Creature comforts for a subcompact was very good with all power amenities, reclining (60/40 split) back seats and surprisingly lots of legroom at the back! Taking the drivers seat though was a different experience. It seemed to lack the pulling power that the Picanto had especially where it mattered - 1st and 2nd gears. Engine noise inside the cabin while on these first 2 gears was, I felt loud compared to the Picanto.
    The Chevy Aveo hatchback seemed the most complete car, larger 1.5L engine, more refined interior, hatch spoiler with 3rd brake light, 15 inch alloys, and foglights, 60/40 split backseat, all power, central locks and alarm..and a price to match it all! I wanted to test drive a manual but the dealer had none available, so I resigned to trying a red-hot AT version. The engine was very quiet from the drivers seat, and it felt like driving a much bigger car. I guess because of its longer wheelbase compared to the Pica and Getz.
    The 3 cars all had very similar DP- all well under 100k, with the same freebies being offered by the dealers. (though the Aveo's total price is over 100k more than either Pica or Getz). The Pica and Aveo were more driver's cars than the Getz- something which attracted me more to the two.
    I'm hoping you guys can help me decide as to which car is easier to own- cost of maintenance wise... The car I choose will be my first brand new car and I guess I just need all the help I can get from those more experienced than me. Owners of the cars above...I welcome your comments and suggestions.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2005

Chevrolet Aveo 1.5LT

Power side mirrors is in passenger side only. Odd. The interior is plasticky and lego-like in design, IMO.

3880x1670x1495/2480/995,990 (LxWxH/Wheelbase/Curb weight 1.5L,1.2L)
    Engine:
    1.5L (MT/AT) SOHC 8Valves EFI 83hp
    1.2L (MT only) SOHC 8Valves EFI 70hp

The Aveo 1.5LT hatch is around 640K for the MT and 680K for the AT version.

If you really wanna go Aveo, I suggest you take a look at the Getz 1.4 AT. For 102K less than the Aveo, its everything the Aveo but the 15" mags (albeit fitted with 14" with good looking hubcabs). The 102K savings can be invested in a good mags and springs.

The base 1.2L costs 550K but has lesser features than a Getz 1.1L

Hyundai Getz 1.4L

The Getz' interior looks more modern.

3810x1665x1495/2455/1015,985 (LxWxH/Wheelbase/Curb weight 1.4L,1.1L)

Engine:
    1.4L (AT only) DOHC 16valves EFI 97hp
    1.1L (MT only) SOHC 12valves EFI 62hp

The Picanto is cute and peppy as far as small cars go. But I feel that the sticker is in the steep side knowing that you can get the bigger, more equipped and more comfortable Getz for a very small price premium.

10. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Yup... the only issue with the Getz is the slight sluggishness in the first two gears... I feel that they're too long for the small engine. Otherwise, I think it's the best bet amongst the small cars.

If you like the Picanto... go for that. With the Aveo, you're getting a 1.5 liter engine. Without even going into details regarding Chevrolet ECU-tuning issues, just that fact alone means that it's likely to consume more gas than the Picanto or the Getz.

And, damnit... the new Picanto is just so gosh-darn cute.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Suzuki Alto or Hyundai Getz or Kia Picanto???