New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Hi,

I'm helping my sister look for a used SUV within the above price range.

I've been here in the US for more than 5 years now, so I'm afraid I'm a little out of touch with the Philippine SUV market. Back then, the Toyota Fortuner was the popular SUV of choice, but I'm sure things have changed now.

Generally speaking, she wants something that is:

1. Reliable
    2. Has decent gas mileage for an SUV
    3. High ground clearance (just to have a wee better chance from floods there).

Any suggestions?

Btw, someone is offering her a 2008 Suzuki Grand Vitara. How does it fare in terms of reliability?

2. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    If she really want is a real SUV with that price range, here are some.

1. 1999 - 2002 Mitsubishi Pajero Fieldmaster (4x4 or 4x2)
    2. 1999 - 2001 Nissan Patrol (4x4 or 4x2)
    3. 1999 - 2004 Isuzu Trooper (4x4 or 4x2)

However, those are diesel engines and their mileage ranges from 6-7 kms/l. If you want crossovers, then here are some

1. Early 3rd gen. Honda CR-V
    2. 1st gen. Hyundai Tucson (preferably the CRDI or diesel variant)
    3. Any crossover released between 2006 - 2008

For me, I would pick up the Tucson because it has a diesel engine and better mileage and performance.

3. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    The Grand Vitara is an excellent SUV with true of road capabilities but still retaining fine road manners. However, parts and maintenance may be more inconvenient and gas mileage certainly isn't good, even with the 2.4L 4x2 variant. You may consider a 1st gen Kia Sorento for that budget. Its got solid offroad and flood trotting capabilities as well as a powerful 2.5CRDi engine. I don't suggest the generic FM Pajero choice since it is really old, both power and gas mileage are lacking, and prices are very high for this one. As for the Trooper, we have a 2002 unit currently at 72000kms and its really comfy and powerful though gas mileage isn't very high at around 6-8km/L depending on driving style and traffic conditions. However, many people have experienced many problems with it, many of which keep on recurring. We had the injectors and turbo replaced but otherwise it didn't give us any other problems. But then, it can either be it won't be giving us any problems or the problems are just coming late since we took good care of it. So its not a very safe choice though we are still enjoying it while it lasts.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    The Grand Vitara is somewhat a guzzler (we had the 2002 model with the V6 engine) but has been reliable. Have not much feedback on the later models.

The FM Pajero would be the most reliable, the easiest to maintain, and has good ground clearance however you have to make sure the unit you get is in good condition. Another similar option is the Ford Everest.

The Tucson CRDi is also highly recommended (good FC, easy to drive, comfortable) but the main task here is finding one up for sale and i'm not familiar with its price.

If you up the ante a little, you can also find a Fortuner at that range.

Best to really look at several vehicles and take your choice on what you would feel most comforable with, and is in the best condition within your budget.

Have your sister check out the Manila Bulletin classifieds on a Sunday. That has a lot of choices and the prices are more or less reflective of market value.

5. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by vinj View Post
    The Grand Vitara is somewhat a guzzler (we had the 2002 model with the V6 engine) but has been reliable. Have not much feedback on the later models.

The FM Pajero would be the most reliable, the easiest to maintain, and has good ground clearance however you have to make sure the unit you get is in good condition. Another similar option is the Ford Everest.

The Tucson CRDi is also highly recommended (good FC, easy to drive, comfortable) but the main task here is finding one up for sale and i'm not familiar with its price.

If you up the ante a little, you can also find a Fortuner at that range.

Best to really look at several vehicles and take your choice on what you would feel most comforable with, and is in the best condition within your budget.

Have your sister check out the Manila Bulletin classifieds on a Sunday. That has a lot of choices and the prices are more or less reflective of market value.
    Oonga noh! Nakalimutan ko ang Everest! Pasok nga din pala yung 2.5TDCi nun. Di ba kapag Fortuner 2.5D4D at 2.7VVTi lang ang pasok? Eh mahina ang 2.5D4D, malakas naman sa gas ang 2.7VVTi. So ayun~ recommendation ko is 1st gen Sorento and 2nd gen Everest.

6. Join Date
    May 2010
    Pasok sa list:
    - Ford Escape (2.3 Variant)
    - Nissan X-Trail

7. Join Date
    Jun 2010
    With your budget, the best pick for me would be the Gen. 1 Hyundai Tucson. Baka makakuha ka na rin ng mga 2008 model for 700k and CRDi na yun. Wala kaming naging problema sa Tucson namin dati though gas nga lang siya and malakas kumonsumo. Kaso medyo off nga lang ang looks niya IMO.

Which SUV to get? (500-700K budget)