New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    I own a 2.0 Forester & very happy with it. Just to give my 2-cents to help you with your decision:

Forester

Pros:

• Lots of features for its price: AWD, 6-airbags, 6-disk changer, fog lamps, traction control, moonroof,etc - Essentially everything the Turbo version has except the Turbo engine & 17" mags.
    • FC - around 7.5 km/l city driving - not bad for an AWD/AT vehicle (Makati-QC) route. You're not tied down to 95 octane in this version.
    • Stylish & Newest of the pack of CUVs - it'll take some years before it gets dated by a newer model.
    • Performance - it runs fast & stable, doesn't have an impressive jump as the Turbo, but when you get to speed, you'll be one of the fastest on the SCTEX! It outdoes other CUVs in rough terrain (yeah I know about the endless CUV arguments about off-roading). Oh, try out the steering- it so easy to steer - lambut-lambut! My wife will have more muscles than me by year's end.

Cons:

• Maintenance - if the casa is not easy to access from your place, you may want to reconsider. Its definitely not a Banawe client & the casa will be your best bet to keeping it in top form (But as per owners, service is relatively good).
    • Re-sale - Well, this maybe from a historical point of view, CRVs & RAV4s have higher re-sale, but older Foresters were a bit more quirky, don't know if this plays a factor for 2nd hand buyers. This new one is better appealing to wider tastes.

Now for the RAV4, I honestly can't elaborate as much as the Forester, I'll need the help of satisfied RAV4 owners to give their experiences... I did consider the RAV4 during my search, these are my personal reasons for not choosing it:

• One of the oldest among the current gen CUVs - I have a Vios na nalaos ng newer version Vios, I didn't want the same thing happening to my CUV, haven't seen any new version RAV4 release but it's due for one in a couple of years - my guess.
    • A bit bare for its price - partly due to its age, when it first came out the CRV model it was pitted against was almost well - AUV-ish (I had the 2nd gen CRV) so it didn't need to spice up a lot to impress. Current gen CUVs have a lot of features packed in.

As always, test drive first to get a feel for yourself between the cars, also consider your needs & wants, and of course... your budget!

2. Join Date
    May 2005
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4SN9tXvrRQ"]YouTube - 2009 Subaru Forester[/ame]
    This video is an eye opener with regards to the many merits of the Forester (over its competition).

The current Rav4 has been in the market since Feb 2006. An all new body model is slated for 2011. See the difference bet. a 2006 and 2009 model in the pics below.

For Php 1.4M, no MID on the Rav4.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I used to drive a WRX, so wife is a lil biased on subarus. Wife wants an 09 forester. While I like forester's styling, the 4EAT is a huge disappointment. Gee, it's 2009, cant subaru update to a 5EAT?? Wife will be waiting til next year to replace her car. We will not be considering the Forester unless 5EAT or 6CVT becomes available on that model. Currently, we have our sights set on the 2010 Outback.

4. Join Date
    Sep 2008
    having riden both, ill definitely go for the forester.

It rides better, has more features (lots of toys inside) better interior plastics.

Overall, it feels so much more expensive than the Rav 4

5. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by alwayz_yummy View Post
    mas magaganda pang mga cSUV na yan than the hyped-RAV4 and CRV.
    The Toyota RAV4 has been particiating in dakar rally races since its first gen. so it has proven itself to be one capable offroader (actually most of the Toyota SUVs are participating). Subaru Forester first entered the competition in 2008. So these two are considered "real" compact sport utility vehicles, and not crossover utility vehicles.

well, WRC and dakkar cars are almost completely rebuilt, and you cannot get those extras on your standard, road going version...only the body you get....best example: is there a ford focus that has 4wd aside sa wrc cars? i'm talking about stock-to-stock, the ones you can get straight from the dealer's showroom.

ok, kung may forester na nakapunta sa pinatubo and back... why not a rav4 owner risk it?

eto gusto ko makitang comparo sa magazines: local awd/4wd cSUVs(outlander, vitara, xtrail, crv, forester, sta.fe, tucson, sportage, rav4, jimny) comparo:venue--pinatubo, along side with the LC40s there......light rain preferably. who's the most all-rounder?

Quote Originally Posted by agent_ysann View Post
    The Toyota RAV4 has been particiating in dakar rally races since its first gen. so it has proven itself to be one capable offroader (actually most of the Toyota SUVs are participating). Subaru Forester first entered the competition in 2008. So these two are considered "real" compact sport utility vehicles, and not crossover utility vehicles.

7. Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Forester na, yun nga lang isa lang ang casa. yun rav4 naman mukhang overpriced.

basta toyota......at honda..overpriced...b-new or used..

ngayon pati koreans(except ata ang ssangyong at chevy phils), nakiki-overprice din.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooQRxlChvMw"]YouTube - Subaru AWD vs. competitors[/ame]

10. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by alwayz_yummy View Post
    well, WRC and dakkar cars are almost completely rebuilt, and you cannot get those extras on your standard, road going version...only the body you get....best example: is there a ford focus that has 4wd aside sa wrc cars? i'm talking about stock-to-stock, the ones you can get straight from the dealer's showroom.
    i know. i am just pointing out that RAV4 and Forester are "real" compact SUVs and are not just crossovers like the CR-V. i just mentioned the dakar rally because of the toughness and durability issue. just like the Pajero and Land Cruiser series, their durability have been tested in the said competition that's why people know they are tough, but they won't go offroading because they know they are equiped with stock suspensions and stock wheels. i have nothing against anything, just pointing out.peace

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
subaru Forester 2.0 2009 or Rav 4 4x2 2009