New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Egan101 View Post
    Sir, why do you say so? It’s like saying turbo engines are not reliable.

The Ford 1.0L turbo engine has been recognized worldwide. I had no issues with mine before.

Or maybe you just had a bad experience with a turbo engine? No concerns naman with other turbo cars like Subaru, BMW, Audi, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I think this would be a good reference for the specific 1.0 Ecoboost engine.

Ford EcoBoost engine problems - Is your car at risk from engine fire fault? | Express.co.uk

Ford Ecoboost engine failures: customers to receive refunds | Autocar

But, that's why I also said in my post that if the OP finds this issue as still a persistent/present concern, he has the option to choose the Ecosport 1.5L that is a non Ecoboost model.

2. Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by hardwang View Post
    Turbos are great actually, they perform really well in my experience. But they have a drawback, pistons are more likely to be damaged by detonation. I think they might not be suited for casual drivers. You have to be careful with its maintenance, you have to know the right oil to use, know the fuel you use, keeping in mind to prevent carbon build up, being careful not to drive the engine hard too much, avoid short distance trips... I wouldnÂ’t expect them to outlast a NA engine especially a port injected one. However if one is meticulous with its maintenance, turbos will probably last long.
    does it means buying a second hand turbo car is a big no no? like the Honda Civic RS?

3. Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by 2lits17 View Post
    does it means buying a second hand turbo car is a big no no? like the Honda Civic RS?
    If you really want one, of course you can buy it. I'm not saying turbo cars are unreliable. It's just that you can't be as lenient with the maintenance compared to naturally aspirated engines. Not sure if it applies with the 1.5L turbo version here since its warmer in the Philippines but Honda has been having fuel dilution issues lately in the US. But the solution to that is pretty easy, just change the oil quickly and regularly.

4. Join Date
    Jul 2013
    nothing against "turbo"

but for me, it's another part na masisira.

So if I'm only using the car for 10 years (personal use means I will not reach 100k) then I guess having a Turbo is ok.

Car for more than 10 years, I will prefer a naturally aspirated engine.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

5. Join Date
    Jul 2013

6. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by hardwang View Post
    Hyundai Kona is a great choice. You get a bigger engine compared to ecosport and vitara. I’ve been seeing some on the road and they look pretty good. Although I’m not sure about its ground clearance.

I think ecosport has the highest ground clearance if that’s what you’re looking for. The facelifted ecosport is now a decent choice. It doesn’t have that s****y DCT anymore. Do not get the 1.0 ecoboost if you’re planning on keeping it for a long time though. The 1.5L will theoretically last longer.

How about the new jimny?
    I have actually considered the Jimny but 85-90% of the time I'll be driving in the city. The Jimny is too bare for me with a 1M price tag.

Is the Kona that much better than the Vitara overall? I think its ground clearance is below 180mm. Other than the bigger engine, whats the advantage of the Kona vs the Vitara or Ecosport?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

7. Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Not ph spec. But kona being compared to hrv and cx3 (which sits higher in pecking order compared tl vitara and ecosport).

Hyundai Kona vs Honda HR-V vs Mazda CX-3 2019 comparison review - YouTube

Sent from my BLL-L22 using Tapatalk

8. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    The Suzuki Jimny will have much higher resale value than the Hyundai Kona or Suzuki Vitara.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter View Post
    The Suzuki Jimny will have much higher resale value than the Hyundai Kona or Suzuki Vitara.
    Basing on how the previous gen holds....yes, this is true!

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

10. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter View Post
    May be right, but my priority is to be able to drive with comfort and practicality. Resale value is secondary. I might get a Jimny but a used one not with a brand new price tag.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast