New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Hahaha! Nice reactions...valentine's day kasi kaya nasawsaw...

Before the days of locally distributed WRXs and the rest that followed, I was a big fan of the Focus diesel. It really was the car to beat (at least for its segment) in terms of acceleration and fuel efficiency. I never thought somebody would release a six-speed tranny on such a platform in the Philippines. But when the rest arrived at the scene, the Focus suddenly looked dated...but I really think that the older Focus still looks better than the current one. I don't like the swoopy headlight thing paired with the boxy side and rear profile.

You guys are right that people buy cars because they're the ones who are going to drive it! I definitely agree on that. It's a very subjective thing. I made points of comparison to consider. It included performance, looks (interior/exterior), bonus things unique to the car, and chick appeal (just for kicks). In my tally, the Lancer EX still came on top because it looks good inside and out, performs well enough (so they say), and has a kick*$$ audio system. Being a chick magnet would be a bonus. Let's face it...who doesn't like the macho thing??? I say it's 4/4 based on my criteria.

So why did the Focus suffer an epic fail in my list?

Yes, it goes real fast, but it lacked the rest. Who races at every stoplight anyway? I saw its interior, and I didn't like it. Top Gear inspected its audio system, and they reported that it cannot possibly compare with the Rockford Fosgate on the EX. Now, can it be a chick magnet??? Again, it's a subjective thing...but I think it won't compare with the Lancer EX...I say it's 2/4 based on the same criteria.

Then again, this is just my own opinion...

2. Join Date
    May 2006
    So acceleration hands down focus decimates everyone else...How bout sa rektahan...NLEX,SCTEX or skyway kind of rektahan...Who owns who?

3. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by trackers888 View Post
    wow! Parang SUV narin ang price pala
    Yan nga din iniisip ko. I'm also shopping for a car. This list is also my list of consideration plus Ford Escape and Hyundai Tucson. Nasa same price range kasi. The purpose of buying a new car is going to point A-B and gusto ko maporma kasi single male pa din ako hehe.....

Which car would you recommend? I'm leaning towards the Escape, Tucson next, and Focus third.

4. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Uummph....the 2.0L sedan segment is an interesting albeit a small segment considering the price range.

For a family man, an SUV is a better choice.

These cars are being bought to be personally driven.And its selling point is a kind of car that projects a "sporty image without being a real sports car"--domesticated version of the real thing. Power.

If this is the case, then the best choices will be Subaru, Lancer, and Focus.

The Lancer just have more to offer and the Evo 10 lineage will be a magnet for buyers. Ditto with the Subaru but a single dealership is not practical for those outside of Metro Manila.

The Focus is intriguing because its diesel powered.

What may hurt the Lancer and Focus are some reliability issues that hurt the respective companies in the past.

That is why those who were turned off gravitate towards the Honda and Toyota. The dual vvti Corolla may intrigue some people.

As to my choice, it will most likely be a toss between the Lancer and the Focus with a slight preference to the Mitsubishi as of the moment.

5. Join Date
    Sep 2008
    ill still go with the focus tdci, one major consideration of a middle class car buyer now a days is the FC, unless you belong to the elites of the society then EX is the better choice....i'll still push the issue that the focus is made here in philippines so you're helping the economy by buying one..

i'm not an employee of ford though i own a mazda 3 that doesn't make me a mazda employee..

infact my company has a fleet of cherry QQ for its sales person..(i think you know w/c company already)..

buy buying a locally made car will help us pinoys in times like these

6. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Yeah, I heard that the Lancer's a gas guzzler. It's such a fat car! They say it's got similar dimensions as the hip early '90s Galant...but I really like that car too...

And the Focus, being a diesel, should be a sipper. And the fact that diesel fuel is much much cheaper than gasoline is becoming another major point to consider...

If only diesel smoke smells like gasoline fumes...

7. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    CRDI based diesels are actually much much more environment friendly than petrols of the same age. So it's another thing to consider.

Now, if only Mitsu will bring in the Lancer DiD (diesel) (like the ones in Europe).

Subaru is set to release the Impreza Boxer Diesel soon.

8. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Anyone with over 900k to spend on a compact car would be considered "elite". The last compact car with a 2.0 that was priced close to 1.6 liter territory was the Lynx RS... and they did that by removing many of the features of the Ghia... the rear sunshades, power-fold mirrors (still power-adjust), leather, etcetera.

*robert_mimosa: Understood, dude... I was just having some fun. I agree that the Lancer will get the chicks into the car, but I think my wife would enjoy the Focus more. We just finished a week-long test of one and had a blast. Still waiting for the Lancer, though... I fell in love with it at the PCOTY, sweet manual transmission, awesome body-kit and mags. And I'd rate the automatic as only second to the DSG in terms of responsiveness (just have reservations about power delivery). I have yet to test the "road-trip-ability" of the car, to see if the ride comfort will hold up on a long provincial run. Anyway, in matters like this, it's all personal preference. I'd be happy to spend my money on any of the three (TDCi, EX, Impreza).

Quote Originally Posted by oliver1013 View Post
    So acceleration hands down focus decimates everyone else...How bout sa rektahan...NLEX,SCTEX or skyway kind of rektahan...Who owns who?
    Any 2.0 car can hit 200-210 km/h plus. The differences will all be in the top-end. The strength of the TDCi is mostly in mid-range acceleration, but top-end speed is all about HP and gearing. If the Lancer's bodyshell is aerodynamic enough and fifth gear is just right, it should have more or similar top-end speed, but there are very few places in the Philippines you can go over 200 long enough to find out. Even with our personal cars (GH and I), with over 170 bhp on tap, there's only one time we've ever hit over 210 km/h, topping out at 220-225 km/h (banging off the rev-limiter)... after doing some calculations based on my new tires, I figure my theoretical top on that run was 230 km/h, but without V-Box confirmation, I'm happy to accept 225... :hysterical:

There's word that modified TDCis can hit 230-240, but not having seen this verified on a V-Box (at over 200 km/h most stock speedometers are suspect), I can only treat it as hearsay...
    Last edited by niky; February 14th, 2009 at 01:30 PM.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

9. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Hahaha! I was just astounded by your opinions on the "car-chick relationship" thing.

Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    Any 2.0 car can hit 200-210 km/h plus.
    I can attest to this, the 1TR-FE is limited to exactly 190km/h. It's fitted on an 8-passenger jalopy.

ay nako.. bahala kayo magtalo...ako ayun sa sig ko....

2.0 r-sport dual-range 5-MT. 1.050M(if may increse, magkano?), fullest option that i seen in a 2.0, MT pa, may "low range" for hauling at sudden bitinan sa kennon road. di naman ako speed feak, pero kaya naman maghit up to 200kph sa highway ok na sa akin yun.kasi kung speed freeak ako, di ako magtatyaga sa mga non-turbo 2.0... i want a balanced car un lang yun.

ang downside lang ng most new cars: TEMPERATURE GUAGE IS OMMITED IN PLACE FOR THOSE USELESS LED TEMPERATURE INDICATORS!

a minor inconvenience but still....i have driven them all..

ako noon akala ko lynxRS/CE 2.0 replacement car ko sa maxima ko, then the tdci focus came(and the new model lost is 6MT infavor of DSG), 2.0 mazda suffers from delays in engaging from N-D... mazda6(last model of the previous gen) gusto ko na, pero, 2.3 yun kaya di ko na sasabihin dito kung bakit ko nagustuhan)

then after i participted in the impreza challenge, during their kansha(ba yun?) festival, i have test driven the 2.0R mt...my soul again stirred and said to my self--"sulit na sulit" to.. CBU-JAPAN pa! its fast enough for my needs, ok ang FC for me..

a basta bahala kayo magtalo, ako for 2.0--impreza 2.0R-sport dual range 5MT for me!

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Strictly 2.0..Altis,Civic,Lancer EX,Mazda3,Focus,Subaru