New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Starex 9-Seater CRDi MT at 1.5M
    Carnival LWB CRDi AT at 1.6M
    Stavic 9-Seater AT at 1.3M

Yeah, yeah. I know the Stavic is probably the fug!iest vehicle on the planet. It's pretty darn hard to ignore the fact that it's now the cheapest, most comfortable CRDi 9-11 seater whose features are pretty intact though.

2. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Function > Form = Stavic

Test drive muna.
    iam3739.com

3. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Starex. Iba ang presence ng latest starex e (it looks like one big bully) but the Carnival is good too.

Stavic is just so ugly, i can't stand it.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    If you have frequent trips to the countryside, I'd have to recommend the Starex, as parts availability for the Stavic, and to some extent, the Carnival, may be wanting the farther you get from Metro Manila.

For city driving comfort though, I'd go with the Carnival since it's an A/T.

As mentioned earlier, test driving all the candidates is your best way to know which will suit your lifestyle and needs.

5. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    aftersales-wise, carnival for me. kia is better established here than ssangyong,
    with a wider dealership base.

looks-wise, still the carnival because the stavic looks wierd
    and the new starex - sadly - looks like a ford transit to me.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    May driver po for the van so AT convenience is not a factor. Kung pangit nga yung tranny, disadvantage pa eh.

Yung sa parts, nakausap ko yung 1 owner ng wheels and he said they're supporting it all out daw dahil sila distributor -- to the point na he'll air ship a part kung wala sa inventory nila.

Pero tama kayo, naisip ko nga problema pag tumirik ako sa probinsya kasi medyo madalas din sya mag a out of town.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Hmmm ... maybe you're right. So far though, they're all 2nd choices to me for the following reasons:

1. Starex -- Whopper of a price increase in the 2007 CRDi model on top of LESS standard amenities like rear wipers. Choosing a TCi would be like going back in time when CRDi's were not yet the norm.

2. Carnival -- Winner of a major Van safety award, only to strip all but one of its airbags upon reaching our shores.

3. Stavic -- Other than parts/repair support in remote areas, it's arguably the fug!iest looking vehicle in the world.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by pup2 View Post
    Hmmm ... maybe you're right. So far though, they're all 2nd choices to me for the following reasons:

1. Starex -- Whopper of a price increase in the 2007 CRDi model on top of LESS standard amenities like rear wipers. Choosing a TCi would be like going back in time when CRDi's were not yet the norm.

2. Carnival -- Winner of a major Van safety award, only to strip all but one of its airbags upon reaching our shores.

3. Stavic -- Other than parts/repair support in remote areas, it's arguably the fug!iest looking vehicle in the world.
    I'd put it in this order if it were for me:
    1. Carnival - Isn't as massive as the Grand Starex. But if I didn't have to load much, and for its flexibility, I'd go for it. It's sad that we lost most airbags though, but to me, it's still a good buy.
    2. Starex - The previous GRX was overall better coz of its size and flexibility. The new Grand Starex is almost in Super Grandia territory, so it's not as go anywhere (and fit anywhere) as before. It does have the biggest presence among the 3, so if physical size is the major concern, it's the Starex among these 3.
    3. Stavic - If form follows function, go for it. Otherwise, I'd look elsewhere.

About 4 years ago, we took a chance on the first gen Santa Fe. It didn't look at generally pleasing as the current one, but with its built and comfortable ride, we decided to try it. No regrets naman, although it's quite heavy and its 2.4L I4 engine gets thirsty coz of that. CRDi sana. Hehehe!
    Last edited by IMm29; December 18th, 2007 at 02:49 PM.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    ...Carnival -- Winner of a major Van safety award, only to strip all but one of its airbags upon reaching our shores...
    All those airbags would have been a comfort to have, but I look at it this way --in 2002 I got a Carnival RS, the lower-end variant that didn't even have ABS or airbags. I was trained to drive in the 80s and rely only on my seatbelt and my prudence for safety. I've had the Carnival for over five years and have driven it most of the time on provincial highways going head to head with unruly bus and truck drivers and suddenly appearing tricycles without taillights.

I have never been in a nasty collision with the Carnival, and I hope I never will. The point, however, is that I drive defensively and do not take anything for granted. I do not push the van beyond its limits or ask it to perform like a slalom car. Also, I actually prefer a vehicle without airbags, because I figure that in our crime-infested country, I am more likely to need a vehicle that can ram another vehicle and not be disabled by suddenly deploying airbags or fuel cut-offs, than to need redundant mechanical safeties that give me a false sense of security.

10. Join Date
    Aug 2007

Yung sa parts, nakausap ko yung 1 owner ng wheels and he said they're supporting it all out daw dahil sila distributor -- to the point na he'll air ship a part kung wala sa inventory nila.
    Dealers will promise you a lot when trying to make a sale. Even if he airships a part, and assuming it is readily available at source, your unit will still be out of commission for a few days while waiting for the part to arrive.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Starex vs Carnival LWB vs Stavic (Gasp!)