New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by ruelle41 View Post
    I don't think it'd be a good idea to recommend Honda's first attempt at the CVT to a first time buyer. There's a reason why they suddenly went back to conventional AT for the next generation.
    Yeah, I've read something about this, and 300k is too much for my budget, the most is 250k

2. Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Thanks for all those replying, I know there are others like me as well, young professional and first time car buyer, so I'm sure this will be beneficial to many I just enjoy researching about the cars that you guys mentioned Right now, I'm using (and practicing) my aunt's vintage 1989 toyota corolla, once I'm ready and I manage to find "the one" then at least, it'll be driven well to make sure it'll last just like the corolla )

3. Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by kenneth2535901 View Post
    Yeah, I've read something about this, and 300k is too much for my budget, the most is 250k
    Yeah, those were the CVTs that became prone to tranny failure because Honda placed ATF that have caused it's failure and it was fixed for the 2006 models & above when Honda was able to put on the correct CVTF for it.

Well, you could still opt for the MT but in the end, it's your choice after all. Do update us once you're able to buy your car.

Goodluck.

4. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote Originally Posted by GTcervan View Post
    Yeah, those were the CVTs that became prone to tranny failure because Honda placed ATF that have caused it's failure and it was fixed for the 2006 models & above when Honda was able to put on the correct CVTF for it.

Well, you could still opt for the MT but in the end, it's your choice after all. Do update us once you're able to buy your car.

Goodluck.
    so their CVT AT failed because the wrong type of cvt fluid was used?
    they did not have to re-design that cvt of theirs at all?
    all thay had to do was to replace the fluid with the more correct one, and it would have functioned well..?

5. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Daming problema like their vcm engine

6. Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post

so their CVT AT failed because the wrong type of cvt fluid was used?
    they did not have to re-design that cvt of theirs at all?
    all thay had to do was to replace the fluid with the more correct one, and it would have functioned well..?
    You read it right. The first batch, which were the '03-'04 models, were the ones that were mostly affected by this. Somebody from Honda told my father before and in some old threads here regarding that CVT problem, you can read more about that. But those who experience other problems may be because they did not follow the CVT's PMS, which includes the CVTF being changed every 20,000kms and I'm not sure if there are any other parts of the CVT that has to be changed during the PMS, too.

The new CVTs of Honda already possess a torque converter, as opposed to what it had a decade ago.

7. Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Hi sir baka pwede natin buhayin tong thread . I'm a newbie and we're planning to buy our first car (me and my gf) the budget is 180-200k . Any car that you can suggest ? Medyo nagustuhan namin yung mitsubishi lancer cedia platform pero marami akong nabasa dito sa tsikot na it has a bad reputation in terms of FC, then may nakita kaming honda city idsi M/T 2003 model and problem naman is baka masikip and underpowered (if ever umuwi ng province w/c is sa cagayan valley pa and puno ang kotse). And haggang ngayon po ba konti palang din ang mga mekaniko na gamay ang CVT trans ? mas balak ko po kasi ang matic . Thanks!

8. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    The city with 1.3 engine is quite good. I had the manual version year 2003. I didnt have a family then but i had a number of friends at the time. It was quite strong even with 5 drunk girls . It was fun driving in cebu province. Mactan beaches were so clean back then lol.

9. Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Corolla altis kung meron available sa budget nyo. That would be 9th gen. 1.6L matipid yan proven na din.

10. Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Mabigat ba talaga pag lasing?

Quote Originally Posted by StockEngine View Post
    The city with 1.3 engine is quite good. I had the manual version year 2003. I didnt have a family then but i had a number of friends at the time. It was quite strong even with 5 drunk girls . It was fun driving in cebu province. Mactan beaches were so clean back then lol.

Mabigat ba talaga pag lasing?

Quote Originally Posted by StockEngine View Post

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Searching for the most fuel efficient, used, A/T car - 2004 model and above