New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Hi to all car experts and enthusiast out here. I am a first time car buyer and is currently doing my research. I am planning to buy a used A/T car and would like to know which brand and model fits my usual travel routes.

M-F:
    My usual route to and from work will be from Navotas to Ortigas (around 20KM as per google maps via EDSA from C3) - will be travelling in the morning (7-9AM) and evening (7-8M)

Sat:
    I usually pick my GF up from her office, so my route will be from Navotas to Estrella cor Kalayaan Ave (around 18KM via Roxas-Gil Puyat-Ayala Ave) - travelling time will be in the afternoon around 2-3PM

then we'll go to her home in Bulacan, so that's Estrella cor Kalayaan Ave to San Jose del Monte, Bulacan (around 36KM via EDSA-White Plains-Katipunan-Tandang Sora-Commonwealth-Quirino Ave) - travelling in the evening around 7-8PM

then back to my home, from San Jose del Monte, Bulacan to Navotas (around 38KM via Quirino Ave-Commonwealth-EDSA-C3) - travelling in the evening around 12 midnight to 1AM

M/T definitely is more fuel efficient than an A/T but considering my travel routes, where traffic is EXPECTED (if not HELL), I'm willing to pay extra for gas in exchange for convenience. Plus I told my GF to drive for me from her office to her home

I've seen some that fits my budget 150k-250K;

Nissan Sentra GSX
    Mazda 3

My priorities are:
    1. Budget - car that fits my budget
    2. Fuel Economy - cuz saving gas is everyone's responsibility
    3. Maintainability - since my routes are quite long, I don't want to suddenly stop in the middle of nowhere cuz of "tirik"

Are there any other cars that I can take into consideration so that I can research for it?

Thanks in advance to those who will help!

2. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    1st or 2nd gen Vios if you can find a good one. No experience from the cars you listed but they seem to have a reputation for not having good fc's, although if in good condition I might consider the Mz3

3. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Mazda 3 1.6 has awful FC and your budget is too small for a Mazda 3, or any car younger than 2004 for that matter, except the clunkers (Sentra and Optra).

Your best bet is still a Vios 1.5G AT. A bit more expensive (250-300k for a 2004 G AT) but it's reliable, efficient, and parts are abundant.

4. Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by ruelle41 View Post
    1st or 2nd gen Vios if you can find a good one. No experience from the cars you listed but they seem to have a reputation for not having good fc's, although if in good condition I might consider the Mz3

Yeah, I read as well, I really fell in love with its look, but again FE's bad based on what I've read

5. Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post
    Mazda 3 1.6 has awful FC and your budget is too small for a Mazda 3, or any car younger than 2004 for that matter, except the clunkers (Sentra and Optra).

Your best bet is still a Vios 1.5G AT. A bit more expensive (250-300k for a 2004 G AT) but it's reliable, efficient, and parts are abundant.

I see, i guess stretching my budget for a toyota is not a bad idea. Will look for some in the market!

6. Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Hmm...

If you like, are you going to consider a 2004-2005 Honda City? I think it also fits in your budget and with your daily route, the one with the 1.3L i-DSI that has CVT is a very good choice. IIRC, I think it has FC of around 10-11km/l in the city and on the highway, around 14-17km/l, which makes it economical, too.

My lolo had one before and it's a CVT. The car was very responsive and it even has a 7-speed manual mode, which was unique for it's class during that time.

If you're going to look for one, just be sure to bring your trusted mechanic so that he can check for any possible engine problems of the car, etc., if there are any and then conduct a test drive of the car. Lastly, go for the ones that are still in top/good condition.

HTH.

7. Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by GTcervan View Post
    Hmm...

If you like, are you going to consider a 2004-2005 Honda City? I think it also fits in your budget and with your daily route, the one with the 1.3L i-DSI that has CVT is a very good choice. IIRC, I think it has FC of around 10-11km/l in the city and on the highway, around 14-17km/l, which makes it economical, too.

My lolo had one before and it's a CVT. The car was very responsive and it even has a 7-speed manual mode, which was unique for it's class during that time.

If you're going to look for one, just be sure to bring your trusted mechanic so that he can check for any possible engine problems of the car, etc., if there are any and then conduct a test drive of the car. Lastly, go for the ones that are still in top/good condition.

HTH.
    I see so its gonna be a clash between Toyota and Honda

Honestly, I've first learned to drive using my friend's 2004 Honda City iDsi and I love it! Will check on Honda City CVT too, but what worries me is its maintenance cost, I read that Honda parts and stuff that I need to maintain are quite pricey.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote Originally Posted by GTcervan View Post
    Hmm...

HTH.

Honestly, I've first learned to drive using my friend's 2004 Honda City iDsi and I love it! Will check on Honda City CVT too, but what worries me is its maintenance cost, I read that Honda parts and stuff that I need to maintain are quite pricey.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    at your requirements, it has to be the vios. also, try to look for an altis.... FC is not that bad, usually averages around 9-10 kpl in city driving yung matic...

9. Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by kenneth2535901 View Post

I'm sure you'll appreciate the City a lot more than any of your other choices. =D

About the parts and PMS, well, if you're going to let the casa handle your car or get parts there, then that will be quite pricey but I guess you can choose to do PMS outside of the casa and source parts in Banawe which are cheaper than the ones in the casa. Also if you're going to get the City, then don't forget to check it's PMS/casa records just to make sure if it's really maintained, especially if it's the CVT City you're looking at.

Btw, there's also a 2007 model of the same City 1.3 i-DSI but expect it's price to be P300k or above. However, if you're able to see one in a good condition yet it's price is below P300k, then I would say that you're lucky.

10. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    I don't think it'd be a good idea to recommend Honda's first attempt at the CVT to a first time buyer. There's a reason why they suddenly went back to conventional AT for the next generation.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Searching for the most fuel efficient, used, A/T car - 2004 model and above