New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    I have a similar post to a recently closed thread (you guys are ruthless ) except my case is probably the more typical rather than the exception.

I've noted in previous threads that it's not worthwhile to import my 2006 Sonata V6 to the Philippines. Things have also been said about its "thirst" for gas.

Well then, I want to know how much gas will I save if I decide to commute from say, Las Pinas (RFC Mall) to say, Manila City Hall instead of driving. Has anyone ever estimated how much gas is used on a round trip between those 2 places and compared it to the current jeepney/bus fares?

If my wife and I do go back to the Philippines, the very first thing I'd do to while away the time is finish my BSME course in Mapua. I'm contemplating if commuting or driving is more cost-effective. Time doesn't matter. I have all the time in the world.

Let's say the car I'll have there is a Mazda 3 1.6L 4-door or a Focus 1.8L Ghia.

2. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Just to give you an idea, I want to share my driving / commuting experiences. I live in Novaliches and work in Makati. Novaliches to Makati is 30 kms. away or 60 kms. round trip. My consumption is, say, 10 kms per liter and the cost of gas is P35/liter. So, the cost of gas for 60 kms is about P210.00. If I commute, I would only spend P100 if I take jeep/aircon bus or P120 if jeep/FX.

The savings, if I commute, is from P90 to P110.

3. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Driving is more practical. Forget about commuting (it's a nightmare because PUVs here keep on stopping wasting a lot of your time and patience).

If you wanna save on gas, get a Getz with a CRDi or 1.1L motor. :-)

If you miss your Sonata V6, you can get the same car here, there's also the Azera but an SUV is more practical here because of the potholes, so you might wanna consider also the SantaFe CRDi (which US doesn't have. heheh)
    Last edited by Horsepower; February 24th, 2007 at 09:21 AM.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsepower View Post
    Driving is more practical. Forget about commuting (it's a nightmare because PUVs here keep on stopping wasting a lot of your time and patience).

If you wanna save on gas, get a Getz with a CRDi or 1.1L motor. :-)

If you miss your Sonata V6, you can get the same car here, there's also the Azera but an SUV is more practical here because of the potholes, so you might wanna consider also the SantaFe CRDi (which US doesn't have. heheh)
    Well, I'm looking from the more selfish aspect which is my own moolah. Time and patience I have plenty of. After all, I used to commute when I was young. This time, I'll be retired and won't be working anymore. I'm going to finish my degree only so I can say I did it (no pressure whatsoever). Cost of car and insurance aside, will I save more money/gas by commuting or driving to Manila? Doing that 4x-5x a week, any savings will add up. I figure parking space is also going to be hard at and near Mapua unless there's new parking I'm not aware of.

If I can save more by commuting, then we'll only use the car for my wife's shopping trips on weekends. By the same token, I'll also commute to Binakayan, Cavite because it's not that far unless we're spending a weekend at Island Cove Resort.

That's one side of my rationale....... The other side says heck with the gas. Just buy an Azera and do what I always do.......:cool2:

5. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Jun aka Pekto View Post
    Well, I'm looking from the more selfish aspect which is my own moolah. Time and patience I have plenty of. After all, I used to commute when I was young. This time, I'll be retired and won't be working anymore. I'm going to finish my degree only so I can say I did it (no pressure whatsoever). Cost of car and insurance aside, will I save more money/gas by commuting or driving to Manila? Doing that 4x-5x a week, any savings will add up. I figure parking space is also going to be hard at and near Mapua unless there's new parking I'm not aware of.

If I can save more by commuting, then we'll only use the car for my wife's shopping trips on weekends. By the same token, I'll also commute to Binakayan, Cavite because it's not that far unless we're spending a weekend at Island Cove Resort.

That's one side of my rationale....... The other side says heck with the gas. Just buy an Azera and do what I always do.......:cool2:
    hard fact.......lot's of hold ups are now being perpetrated on buses and jeepneys...ika nga group hold up :-)

not trying to scare you but maybe you need to factor in the cost of you cellphone, watch and lately even shoes. yup, you read it right. if you're wearing one of those expensive jordans, these muggers will make you walk barefoot :-)

ingat lang bro when you choose to commute. if the difference ain't that much, i say life and limb is far more important than a couple of bucks in gas money.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by brubeck View Post
    hard fact.......lot's of hold ups are now being perpetrated on buses and jeepneys...ika nga group hold up :-)

not trying to scare you but maybe you need to factor in the cost of you cellphone, watch and lately even shoes. yup, you read it right. if you're wearing one of those expensive jordans, these muggers will make you walk barefoot :-)

ingat lang bro when you choose to commute. if the difference ain't that much, i say life and limb is far more important than a couple of bucks in gas money.
    My attire? Plain t-shirt, blue jeans, a well-worn (read: dirty) pair of Reeboks. My watch will be a $5 plain black lcd watch. Cellphone...... Don't need one. I haven't used mine too much here. I don't think I'll have one there.

I suppose I'll drive. Once that happens though and I drive everywhere I go, I tend to lean more towards not caring how much gas my car consumes if I can afford it. I'm not perfect and I have my faults. Plus, I'm not the most eco-friendly type of guy. V6 it is, then. V6 Azera, Sonata, Accord, Camry..... all are considered.

Add: I have to consider at least a midsize. I forgot whenever we go somewhere (aside from City Hall), we'll take along a couple of my wife's relatives as bodyguards. They'll also live with us and we'll be paying for their schooling and allowances.....
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; February 24th, 2007 at 11:30 AM.

7. Join Date
    May 2005
    If my wife and I do go back to the Philippines, the very first thing I'd do to while away the time is finish my BSME course in Mapua. I'm contemplating if commuting or driving is more cost-effective. Time doesn't matter. I have all the time in the world.
    too bad you can't get this time the old rate you used to pay back then... back in the "old" Mapua family days, MIT have this policy that the tuition fee rate will not change even if you stop (with filed official leave) for several years until you finish your course ( i.e, if your tuition back then was 1000 petot for 22 units, you will still be paying the same if ever you resume your studies). This policy stopped i think yr2000. tuition fees started to increase sem after sem...

Well, I'm looking from the more selfish aspect which is my own moolah. Time and patience I have plenty of. After all, I used to commute when I was young.
    commuting way back then (i believe we went to MIT on the same time period) was way way different from the situation nowadays... it has gone from bad to worst! pollution, traffic, safety, etc...

8. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by resmile View Post
    too bad you can't get this time the old rate you used to pay back then... back in the "old" Mapua family days, MIT have this policy that the tuition fee rate will not change even if you stop (with filed official leave) for several years until you finish your course ( i.e, if your tuition back then was 1000 petot for 22 units, you will still be paying the same if ever you resume your studies). This policy stopped i think yr2000. tuition fees started to increase sem after sem...

commuting way back then (i believe we went to MIT on the same time period) was way way different from the situation nowadays... it has gone from bad to worst! pollution, traffic, safety, etc...
    That's a downer. Oh well. Time to tighten the belt and suck it up.

OT: I think my grades at the time I left is still ok (barely). I've learned a lot more theories and tech since then. Hopefully it'll be easier for me this time around. How much is a typical 20-22 unit semester now?

Also, are public buses and jeepneys allowed on the Coastal Road/Expressway? The Coastal Road wasn't done yet the last time I remembered it. Actually, I remember it done when I visited in 1994. But, I can't recall if there were buses and jeepneys allowed on it. We took a taxi.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by j_avonni View Post
    Just to give you an idea, I want to share my driving / commuting experiences. I live in Novaliches and work in Makati. Novaliches to Makati is 30 kms. away or 60 kms. round trip. My consumption is, say, 10 kms per liter and the cost of gas is P35/liter. So, the cost of gas for 60 kms is about P210.00. If I commute, I would only spend P100 if I take jeep/aircon bus or P120 if jeep/FX.

The savings, if I commute, is from P90 to P110.
    X 5 will net ~P500 a week, ~P2k a month. I guess we'll have to put on our thinking caps again. To me, it may not seem much which is why I don't do the budget.

It would mean a nice chunk of change for my wife which could be applied to other stuff like fast internet.

10. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    sir wag ka na mag-aral dito. hindi conducive for studying yan plano mo. las pinas to Mapua, nakupo!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Saving On Gas in Manila