New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by GTi View Post
    The gasoline Innova is rather lacking in torque, which means more effort is needed for acceleration. For both cars, I'd expect FC anywhere in the vicinity of 4-6km/L city, depending on route and traffic conditions. If I'm not mistaken, the Previa shares many components with the Camry, so most parts shouldn't be hard to find...

Carnival is very sensitive with regards to its maintenance. One has to be very religious with stuff like belts and fuel filters. I learned that the hard way when at 28tkms mileage (fuel filter should be replaced every 20tkms) the check engine light came on upon hard acceleration all the time, bringing the car to limp mode. Then I snapped a drive belt at 70tkms (recommended to be replaced every 60tkms), and ended up having to have the car towed. If properly maintained though, it will serve you well. Performance, handling and stability are actually really good, and more than a match for midsize SUVs of the same era.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
    I guess the Carnival is a good option. I live in south of Manila, do you think parts will be a problem for me? Thanks Chief GTI!

2. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by benchph1 View Post
    I’d choose the Innova over the Previa for practical reasons.

The Previa is designed to seat 7 persons only with its captain seats on the 2nd row. While you can seat 8 in the Innova. (Although this is already a squeeze)

Although most of its parts are camry-derived. Body parts maybe difficult to find.

I suggest to save up some more and get a diesel fed innova..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks for your thoughts, Chief Benchph1!

3. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post
    You'll spend more money maintaining a Previa than the higher cash outlay for an Innova diesel. Same with the Innova gas - whatever you save on initial acquisition cost, you'll be spending on fuel later on especially if you travel long distances.

There are a lot of Innova diesels in your 400-450k budget.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Chief Jut, I'll take note of your suggestion. I hope I can find an Innova diesel that will fit my budget.

Thank you, Chief Jut!

4. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Chiefs, how about an Isuzu Alterra? Mukhang malaki din ang loob. Though maintenance is probably on the higher side, especially the fluids and tire replacement cost. Pwede na din kaya?

Thank you for all of your insights.

5. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jvnj View Post
    I guess the Carnival is a good option. I live in south of Manila, do you think parts will be a problem for me? Thanks Chief GTI!
    Chiefs, how about an Isuzu Alterra? Mukhang malaki din ang loob. Though maintenance is probably on the higher side, especially the fluids and tire replacement cost. Pwede na din kaya?

Thank you for all of your insights.
    The diesel Innova gives significantly better gas mileage than the Carnival. Although I would suggest you check one out personally first to see if the cabin space is to your liking, since it is actually not that much bigger than the Avanza, especially if you are after cargo space with the 3rd row up.

Alterra's are known to be sturdy. Maintenance should be the same as any typical 3.0 CRDi, unlike the problematic Trooper before it. Tires, I believe, are 245/70/R16. I use the same size for our Carnival. I replaced two just a few weeks ago for 5700/piece for the Bridgestone Dueler H/T. Its about as long as a Carnival, but with the higher floorpan, definitely cargo space is not as good. Definitely the one to go for though if you go off the beaten path regularly.

6. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    The diesel Innova gives significantly better gas mileage than the Carnival. Although I would suggest you check one out personally first to see if the cabin space is to your liking, since it is actually not that much bigger than the Avanza, especially if you are after cargo space with the 3rd row up.

Alterra's are known to be sturdy. Maintenance should be the same as any typical 3.0 CRDi, unlike the problematic Trooper before it. Tires, I believe, are 245/70/R16. I use the same size for our Carnival. I replaced two just a few weeks ago for 5700/piece for the Bridgestone Dueler H/T. Its about as long as a Carnival, but with the higher floorpan, definitely cargo space is not as good. Definitely the one to go for though if you go off the beaten path regularly.

Thank you for the detailed inputs, Chief GTi.

7. Join Date
    Aug 2014
    since you consider Gas, You can buy a 2005-2008 fortuner Vvt-i for 400k, it's a hauling vehicle but less riding comfort . Previa 2005 or Innova V 2007Previa 2005 or Innova V 2007 I believed the fuel consumption of 2.0 innova and 2.7 is not big difference.
    Or consider 1999-2003 super Grandia iba pa rin kase kapag diesel.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

8. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by timming_gear View Post
    since you consider Gas, You can buy a 2005-2008 fortuner Vvt-i for 400k, it's a hauling vehicle but less riding comfort . Previa 2005 or Innova V 2007Previa 2005 or Innova V 2007 I believed the fuel consumption of 2.0 innova and 2.7 is not big difference.
    Or consider 1999-2003 super Grandia iba pa rin kase kapag diesel.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Chief Gear,

The Fortuner is a great rig. Tough and capable. Although I think its space is almost the same as my Avanza (not really that great considering its outside dimensions), and the ride is harsh as I tried one before.

As for the 1999-2003 Super Grandia, I really like that van, though its hard to find an automatic on that model. I think wala yatang lumabas na automatic nun?

Thank you very much for your inputs, Chief Timming_gear!

9. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    As for the 1999-2003 Super Grandia, I really like that van, though its hard to find an automatic on that model. I think wala yatang lumabas na automatic nun?
    Automatic only available in Japan surplus/converted units with the more powerful 2LTE and 1KZ engines.

If you want a cheap-to-maintain diesel van with lots of parts, you may want to consider the Starex GRX, but with the old school turbo intercooler engine which is basically a rebadged 4D56.

10. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Automatic only available in Japan surplus/converted units with the more powerful 2LTE and 1KZ engines.

If you want a cheap-to-maintain diesel van with lots of parts, you may want to consider the Starex GRX, but with the old school turbo intercooler engine which is basically a rebadged 4D56.

Chief GTi,

I was aware of the converted units which offers an AT, I actually wish it was offered here locally.

Chief GTi, the Hyundai Starex GRX CRDI 2007 was actually on my list before. I still like its space & presence (at least even if its an old model already). I once had a van with a 4D56 turbo engine and its pretty durable, though as it age, given its an old design, the engine tends to emit "some" smoke when pressed hard. I actually haven't tried the Starex, but since it was treated with a CRDI, did the performance improved drastically (compared to the non CRDI model)?

Thank you so much for your inputs, Chief GTi!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast