New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jvnj View Post
    Chief GTi,

I was aware of the converted units which offers an AT, I actually wish it was offered here locally.

Chief GTi, the Hyundai Starex GRX CRDI 2007 was actually on my list before. I still like its space & presence (at least even if its an old model already). I once had a van with a 4D56 turbo engine and its pretty durable, though as it age, given its an old design, the engine tends to emit "some" smoke when pressed hard. I actually haven't tried the Starex, but since it was treated with a CRDI, did the performance improved drastically (compared to the non CRDI model)?

Thank you so much for your inputs, Chief GTi!
    We have a converted Granvia, basically a Hiace Super Custom 3.0 with a hood. After addressing the conversion related problems, maintenance is actually surprisingly economical. A bit thirsty but dampened by lower diesel fuel cost. Very reliable daily driver even at 21 years of age.

AFAIK the TDIC Starex engine is in the same state of tune as that of the local 90s Pajero, which is to say 100hp and 240Nm. The CRDi has a lot more power at 145hp and 360Nm. But then again, the current base model Grand Starex still uses the old TDIC engine, so it shouldn't be that bad. Black smoke can usually be easily remedied by recalibration, which is cheap for old school diesels but freakishly expensive for CRDi's. Central Diesel's Revive treatment has also done wonders for our cars.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

2. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by GTi View Post
    We have a converted Granvia, basically a Hiace Super Custom 3.0 with a hood. After addressing the conversion related problems, maintenance is actually surprisingly economical. A bit thirsty but dampened by lower diesel fuel cost. Very reliable daily driver even at 21 years of age.

AFAIK the TDIC Starex engine is in the same state of tune as that of the local 90s Pajero, which is to say 100hp and 240Nm. The CRDi has a lot more power at 145hp and 360Nm. But then again, the current base model Grand Starex still uses the old TDIC engine, so it shouldn't be that bad. Black smoke can usually be easily remedied by recalibration, which is cheap for old school diesels but freakishly expensive for CRDi's. Central Diesel's Revive treatment has also done wonders for our cars.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
    Hi Chief GTi,

Thank you for your swift response. I will definite take a second look on the Starex.

Cheers!

3. Join Date
    May 2009
    I will always go for Starex for the most comfortable ride of all. Its spacious and comfortable. Just get a manual transmission and a TDI series for a less hustle free maintenance.

Hi Chiefs,

I'm currently on a look out for an upgrade on my humble ride which is an old 2007 Avanza G AT. We are six (6) in the family, and given that my children are growing fast, it is painful to see that my current ride struggles to carry us during our out of town trips, especially with our all stuff. I use my ride as a daily driver and so far I have no regret with its performance, its just during those trips that I wish I had more space, power and carrying capability. I still would like to replace my ride with an AT car, gasoline engine, with captain seats (for easier ingress / egress on the third row). My humble budget is only 400 to 450k. Here are my thoughts for the two vehicles:

INNOVA V 2007
    - Maintenance and parts is a plus as compared to the Previa
    - More fuel efficient than the Previa as it has a 2.0 engine vs 2.4 of the Previa? (This I honestly do not know)

PREVIA 2005
    - More comfy and more space than the Innova
    - More power
    - Upscale stance and presence vs the Innova
    - More thirsty than the Innova
    - Maintenance and parts might be higher and difficult than the Innova?

I would like to go with the Previa, but are discouraged with the (not so sure) negative aspects as discussed above. Practicality, Innova is the way to go.

I have considered a van, but given my humble budget, I wont be able to purchase an automatic.

Some of the vehicles I considered before are as follows:
    - Kia Carnival 2007 - This car looks great, but are wary of the possible maintenance and parts problems in the future?
    - Hyundai Starex CRDI 2007 - Space is great. Longevity and maintenance wise, im also not so sure. Bigger stance may also pose difficulties in parking areas

I hope you can share your thoughts on this, Chiefs!

Thank you!

4. Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by granro01 View Post
    I will always go for Starex for the most comfortable ride of all. Its spacious and comfortable. Just get a manual transmission and a TDI series for a less hustle free maintenance.
    +1 on this one, our 01 starex svx was still going strong until i sold it this month. . . 220ish on the odometer, regular change oil lang katapat, still no signs of blue smoke, last abra-manila run was at 10.5kms/l(published was 11kms/l) parts are cheap and aplenty. . .. not as powerful and economical as todays crdi's but i'd say durable with regular maintenance. Spacious, comfortable and versatile.

Sent from my SM-A720F using Tapatalk

5. Join Date
    Nov 2018
    innova V , its good :vui mừng:

6. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by granro01 View Post
    Hi Chief granro01,

Thank you for your reply. Given our horrendous traffic conditions, I actually prefer the automatics. Yes, most people do comment that the Starex is a comfy ride, but given it is an old platform already, humble buyers like me must be wary of its wear and tear especially if the previous owner did not took care of the vehicle. I guess I can't complain as my budget is limited

Thank you for your insights, Chief grano01!

7. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mcoy123 View Post
    +1 on this one, our 01 starex svx was still going strong until i sold it this month. . . 220ish on the odometer, regular change oil lang katapat, still no signs of blue smoke, last abra-manila run was at 10.5kms/l(published was 11kms/l) parts are cheap and aplenty. . .. not as powerful and economical as todays crdi's but i'd say durable with regular maintenance. Spacious, comfortable and versatile.

Hi Chief mcoy123,

Thank you for your insights. It is really a great comment coming from an actual owner. As discussed above, one of the options I am eyeing is a Starex GRX CRDI 2006-2007. Given it is a CRDI already, I "guess" it is a big improvement in terms of power, acceleration and fuel consumption as compared to the previous model it replaced. I will definitely take a second look.

Thank you, Chief mcoy123

8. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Quithe View Post
    innova V , its good :vui mừng:
    Chief Quithe,

I really like the Innova V's seating configuration. Some would not agree as it is less accommodating as compared to a regular bench configuration, but I believe it fits to my family's needs. As much as I would like a diesel Innova V, my budget permits me on a gasoline version only. Although most of my cars were gasoline, I have no complain on its smoothness and response, except for the fuel consumption

Thank you, Chief Quithe!

9. Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Hi Chief mcoy123,

Thank you for your insights. It is really a great comment coming from an actual owner. As discussed above, one of the options I am eyeing is a Starex GRX CRDI 2006-2007. Given it is a CRDI already, I "guess" it is a big improvement in terms of power, acceleration and fuel consumption as compared to the previous model it replaced. I will definitely take a second look.

Thank you, Chief mcoy123
    It definitely is a big improvement. . . I've also driven one quite extensively. . . Just don't get intimidated by it's width . . It's quite easy to maneuver in tight spaces.

10. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mcoy123 View Post
    It definitely is a big improvement. . . I've also driven one quite extensively. . . Just don't get intimidated by it's width . . It's quite easy to maneuver in tight spaces.

Yes, the Starex really has tons of space, and it will be handy during out of town trips. City driving, especially in Manila traffic is another story though.

Thank you for sharing , Chief mcoy123!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast