New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Guys, We're planning to buy 2 second hand cars around 1.2m to 1.7m. Btw, Im from Bicol. We used to go to Manila every two weeks. We need a car that's good for long drives, rough roads, uphills and tight curves. I'm also looking at great performance (speed), road respect and ride comfort.

My choices:
    1. Pajero BK 3.2 crdi
    2. Patrol Super Safari 4.8 v6 gas
    3. Forester 2.5 XT

*We already have a diesel version of the Super Safari pero curious lang ako sa performance nitong v6 tsaka iba respeto sa daan pagka malaki.

From the 3, which two will I choose?

Thanks! Godbless!

2. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    No point in getting a Patrol gas when you already have a diesel. The only difference is that you'll be paying much more for fuel expenses, and that it's a bit quieter to be in.

Between your choices, the most practical highway cruiser for me would be the BK Pajero. It's got the most road presence too if you ask me.

Obviously though, the Forester 2.5 XT would be the fastest.

What about a brand new Santa Fe?

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    The Patrol Super Safari with the gas engine has very good performance from what i read before. This is the later version in the Super Safari body already (w/ the 4.8L engine), the older versions had a different, older engine (4.5L AFAIK). Fuel consumption is crazy though. Throw on ARB bullbars and an aftermarket lift kit with larger tires and this will command respect indeed while it will also be the most durable for bad roads.

Too bad the LC200s are still out of your price range but if you're lucky and look around, maybe you can score a used LC100 in V8 gas or diesel guise.

How about the American SUVs like the Exped and Suburban? They'll be a bit lame on the curves and you'll probably eat up the brake pads but they will give you good cruising power and comfort.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    double post
    Last edited by vinj; June 4th, 2012 at 06:01 PM.

5. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    I'd get the Pajero for the fuel efficiency and space good for long trips. Engine does not disappoint in terms of power and its got excellent resale value to boot.

But as mentioned, a Santa Fe would be nice. Its more practical than a Forester and faster and more comfortable than a Pajero.

6. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Which two?

Definitely one of them would be the Forester XT. The other one would be the Pajero BK if the choices are limited to the given ones, however, if you're open to more suggestions the Prado, LC100s are always available.

No point in getting another Safari since you already have one.

Not considering a brand new Explorer?

7. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Road respect? You'll need more than 1.7M for that. Other than that, the Forester 2.5 XT will satisfy all your other criteria.

8. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    ^ Agree. You need something like this to gain the utmost respect you're after

Definitely black, with superblack tints all around. Tapos on mo headlights mo kahit daytime.

I've been in an X5 and a Lexus LX570 and the respect I got from different personnels (especially MMDAs) was just unbelievable. Talo pa yung nakuha ko when I rode in a BMW 320d. Wala pang wang-wang yun ha.

9. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Hehe~ big black cars command a high level of respect. It's very evident, even with our old black Accord V6, with Mason stickers.

10. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Here's a non-black, non-big SUV that I'm sure will still command a high level of respect:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Planning to buy 2 second hand cars.