New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Hi Everyone,

I am looking at purchasing a second car to be used as my main car. I will use my current car for coding since it is a gas guzzler.
    I have narrowed down my choices to 1998 to 2002 Pajero Fieldmaster or 2008 to 2010 Altis 1.6G or 1.6V / 2006 to 2008 Civic 1.8s

Budget is around 400k to 500k..

You may ask why the Pajero is one of my choices. Basically I think that it is a very practical car considering it is diesel and maintenance is easy. Same goes with the Altis and the Civic.

One advantage of the Pajero for me is the height and is good for Philippine road conditions.

Advantage of the Civic/Altis would be the size since it will be easier to park and maneuver. Also FC is great.

** I am also looking at the 2002 to 2005 Camry which really look good but I am afraid of the maintenance and the gas consumption **

Your thoughts would be much appreciated.
    Thank You in advance.

2. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Hi there! What is your current car? Would an FD 1.8L Civic's fuel consumption be enough improvement to warrant a change to this car? The 1.6L Altis is definitely a good choice though, if you are after fuel efficiency, especially with the manual variant.

For me, the bigger diesels are definitely more practical, especially if you carpool or haul a lot. The Pajero is real nice. Space isn't class leading and power is a bit lacking, but it's built like a tank and if in good condition, will still incur fuel expenses lesser than or at least similar to a gasoline compact sedan. It'll be best if you find a manual, but they're pretty rare.

Another worth considering would be the Ford Everest. You get a newer car as compared to the Pajero for the same budget. Besides the trademark name and good looks and a slightly less powerful engine, you get pretty much all the merits found in the Pajero. This is best enjoyed with the manual.

3. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    in my opinion, that's a no Brainer. get a pajero... Never mind the rattling interior, diesel sound. it's great suv, built to survive rough road and flood. non of those electrical nightmares if you submerged it.

just get a decent local unit. Only draw ba is the maintenance, medyo may presyo parts but aside from that great suv.

4. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    If i may suggest, kahit wala sa choices mo at least kaya pa ng brand new.

if you want fuel economy and go with alto/celerio/eon/sparks - brand new pa.
    if you want fuel economy with decent space you can go to mirage
    if you want fuel economy with better if not decent space go to Vios (Accent Hatch CRDI if you can stretch the budget to 800k)

but for me, Pajero Field Master is still a monster, bangis pa din ng itsura hindi kumukupas.

5. Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Thanks for your replies everyone.
    I think I am going with the Pajero Looks are timeless and diesel is cheaper than gasoline pa din.
    Thanks again

6. Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by GTi View Post
    Hi there! What is your current car? Would an FD 1.8L Civic's fuel consumption be enough improvement to warrant a change to this car? The 1.6L Altis is definitely a good choice though, if you are after fuel efficiency, especially with the manual variant.

For me, the bigger diesels are definitely more practical, especially if you carpool or haul a lot. The Pajero is real nice. Space isn't class leading and power is a bit lacking, but it's built like a tank and if in good condition, will still incur fuel expenses lesser than or at least similar to a gasoline compact sedan. It'll be best if you find a manual, but they're pretty rare.

Another worth considering would be the Ford Everest. You get a newer car as compared to the Pajero for the same budget. Besides the trademark name and good looks and a slightly less powerful engine, you get pretty much all the merits found in the Pajero. This is best enjoyed with the manual.

*** My current car is a 1st gen honda crv a/t year 2000 model

7. Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Since it seems you are leaning to Pajero na... When getting the unit double check the Turbo... By experience ito kasi ang madalas na napapabayaan ng previous owners.

Samahan mo na ng pagbili ng turbo timer kung wala sya kasama :twocents:

8. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Ah, kaya pala. Looks like you have decided. But look out for extremely high mileage, beaten-up, "laspag" units. The Pajero is a utility vehicle, many people still use it as such, and bring it to places that ordinary AUVs cannot go and take beatings ordinary AUVs cannot take.

9. Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Since you already have a gen1 crv, then I suggest mag toy car ka naman in FD or Altis

Sent from the bottom of my .....

10. Join Date
    Dec 2012
    With the way i drive our pajero, hindi masmatipid sa fuel. Hehe. Its slow compared to sedans so the tendency is to be rev happy. I always push it to around 4k from a stop. but its fun to drive one. I frequently bully smaller cars with it just the other day may siningitan akong alto. Feeling ko natakot talaga sya hahahaha.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast