New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Hi Guys/gurls,

My ford lynx is now 4 y/o. I'm expecting the maintenance cost to go up on the 5th year. So far, frnt left damper needs replacement (syempre dapat sabay yung front) and estimate as of few months ago is 25k pesos!!! wala naman akong makitang replacement para sana mas mura. The cam sensor was replaced a year ago at 7k pesos. Nakakatakot yata mag-maintain ng ganitong kotse imagine kung major parts yung bumigay - eh di siguradong ang mahal nun. I dont mind keeping a car more than 5 years old, basta lang sana mura i-maintain so that I can keep it in very good condition. I also cannot afford brand-new, as may hinuhulugan pa kong isa eh. So, a good pre-owned car will be an OK substitute for the Lynx.

Lynx specs - 2001 Ghia 1.6M/T, leather seats, ABS, CD changer, rear visor + all power. I'll put-back the stock rims (15in) para ikabit ko yung big mags dun sa ipapalit ko hehe. I already have a buyer for the lynx (he's been waiting for this car for quite sometime now hehe).

I would really want a sedan with similar features but is not as expensive to maintain. Basic req/t ko lang is for it to have power - steering, windows, mirrors, locks. I have a few things in mind, but I would really like to get your expert opinion/inputs. Thanks in advance

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    sentra exalta?

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    i guess my question would be... Budget? How much are you willing to spend and how much do you expect to get when you sell your Lynx?

4. Join Date
    Jul 2005
    id say a civic or a corolla...

5. Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Parang medyo mahal yung mga quote sayo na price, ganun ba talaga pag Ford?

6. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    civc lxi or vti

7. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Lumina? joke lang

Civic or Corolla for me too

8. Join Date
    May 2005
    so car swap lang talaga ang hanap mo .. try a lancer .. medyo magkalapit lang yung presyo ng 2nd hand na lancer at lynx na 4-5 years old ..

9. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    If you've replaced the cam sensor already, that's the only major electronic component that will give out erratically. It helps if you wrap your sensors in the engine bay, as this prolongs the life of those delicate pieces. The achilles heel of the Ford Lynx is really the underhood heat. Some owners have no problems over the life of the vehicles, some have lots. It depends really on the driving conditions you experience.

Ang mahal ng damper... where did you get that quote? Puwede ka nang mag-aftermarket sa ganyang presyo!

Trading secondhand to secondhand to avoid maintenance costs really isn't a good idea, as the condition of the car you're trading to is a big unknown. Every time I buy secondhand, I have to set aside a slush fund of at least 50k as "insurance" for possible repairs. And I usually end up using it all.

The MAF of the Sentra is also prone to problems if it's been run hot a lot. My cousin has also had problems with the idle sensor on his Mitsubishi Lancer. I don't know if there are comparable problems on Corollas and Civics, but I've seen some pretty beat up Corollas (mechanically). Civics have the best resistance to overheating and underhood problems, but this is reflected in their very expensive secondhand price. It's worth it, though, to get a secondhand VTi. Opinion ko lang yan, though. :D

If you're going to take the big hit and sell your car (sorry for you, our resale value is quite low), it's better to look at your brand new options, there are lots of really nice sub 700k economy cars now, or at more recent secondhands. Downgrading to a brand new 1.3 or 1.5 means your problems for the next 50-100k are covered, and maintenance costs over the life of the vehicle are less than for a comparable 1.6 or 2.0.

Downpayment on a Honda City 1.3 MT. Good engine, and the cooling system has been upgraded from the previous year model, so it should be bulletproof plus.
    Last edited by niky; January 17th, 2006 at 01:20 PM.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    If you're not going to replace your 5-year old car with a brand new car, don't replace it at all.

Natural na yan that you will have to spend maintaining a used car. Buy another used car will will also spend on it.

The Lynx is not a bad car. Its about time na rin that you will have to spend for it pero after that, ok nanaman yan for the time being.

Take note of what niky said. That's good advice.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
OK pampalit na sedan?